WTB: Halfshaft axle

ra03svtcobra

IT'LL TERMINATE YA!!
Established Member
I figure it's time to replace my halfshaft. The passenger rear side outer boot is torn as you can see in the pic. Looks like the best price for a stock replacement I could find was about $325 (from Tousley). If anyone has a stock one laying around, an upgraded set for a good price or where to find a new OEM, let me know. Can you just replace the outer boot or do you need to replace the half shaft?

03Cobra111.jpg

Carbon Driven

Established Member
I have a set of 01 Cobra half shafts for sale but to be honest you can probably just get away with replacing the cv boot unless you have lost alot of grease of have dirt/sand etc inside it causing the cv joint to get damaged. Boots are inexpensive

ra03svtcobra

IT'LL TERMINATE YA!!
Established Member
Thanks. I heard the 03 Cobra half shafts were stronger than the previous years and I should probably upgrade since I have the Whipple on it now. Gonna try to get by for now with the stock ones until I can afford to upgrade(unless I can find some upgraded ones for a good deal). I don't race it and I'm not that hard on it so I should be good. I put a whopping 300 miles on it this year. Where would I find the replacement boots? Ford dealer? I saw you had the level 5's for sale. I missed out.

Last edited:

Carbon Driven

Established Member
There is another guy selling Level 5's in this same forum too.His are complete inner and outter cvs too but almost double the price. With a whipple yes go with level 5's later if you brake your stock 03/04's.

Boots I would just pm tousley ford on these forums for a quote for a full set since if you are taking it apart might was sell do both inner and outter on both axles too. Tousley does 10% over cost.

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
Really? Well someone has boots for sale on the forums too in case you cant get them from Ford

Damn nice axle btw

I found out the hard way that Ford doesnt even have a part number for them. When I picked my car up with 9k on the clock, I split a boot on the way home from picking it up. I called everywere looking for one. I ended up getting some ones bad half shaft and pulling the good boot off.

DjOrionXTR

Established Member
i had a tear on my outer shaft too..i just bought a used one from someone on svtp..i thought about changing the boot too, but just incase there was some damage to the bearings i just said **** it and replaced the whole shaft..go to fulltiltboogieracing.com. bruce shows why you dont need to upgrade your shafts..he sells a bushing kit that eliminates the rubber bushing in the IRS so there isnt any flex in the rear..which he says is why we break shafts..

ra03svtcobra

IT'LL TERMINATE YA!!
Established Member
I was a little too late getting the halfshaft from ruthless. Anybody else got one laying around?

Carbon Driven

Established Member
Hmm I think my 01 shafts boots will fit 03/04. Not sure how to take the axles apart but might be willing to sell them and dump the axles since shipping weight will kill most sales

ra03svtcobra

IT'LL TERMINATE YA!!
Established Member
I'm not sure. If the 03' axles are supposed to be beefier, would the shafts be a bigger diameter? If so, it may not work. I would hate to try it not knowing for sure if it would work.

Carbon Driven

Established Member
Oh yea I do know that the DSS Level 5's are smaller shafts as the 01's are quite beefed up shafts. Its probably not gonna work but I did just get in inquiry on the 01 shafts so maybe they will sell this weekend anyways. Good luck with your search

Users who are viewing this thread