WTB 2 stock cobra wheels- pics of replicas

pyropete125

Established Member
hi all.

very interesting and informative forum here.

i just got a set of the 93 replicas for my merkur xr4ti [mer... what? lol think same motor as a 84-86 SVO 2.3 turbo in an ugly light rwd car] ...and im looking to buy 2 stock cobra wheels since i think they are the size i need for the front. i need to be about .750-1" less wide and the backspacing and be up to about 10mm less. i can fine tune with spacers.

they are 17 x 8.5" with a 26mm backspace and i have 255/40 -17 nitto 555r's on them.

rims4.jpg

with coilovers the front fit and the backs fit perfect. the fronts stick out a bit too far for my liking. the tires fit nice and square to the rim so the tire size is not the problem.

rims5.jpg

rims7.jpg

not and bad as this setup : http://www.merkurtech.com/merkurtech/inclu...275kumho006.jpg

the european sierra cosworth arch helps out quite a bit:

rims6.jpg

these are the rims i am going to use and these are the only size they come in unfortunatly.

i may mod the rim - i have about 3/8" clearance between the rim and the strut.

rimstrutclearance.jpg

i figure i can take .250" off the flange of the rim safely so they will sit in another 1/4" but i would rather try stock 1993 7.5 wide wheels...

what is the actual backspace or offset of the 93 stockers? all i read is it is 3/4" difference.

any ideas or comments would be great! btw... i dynoed at 409rwhp at 28lbs boost from my little old 2.3L pinto motor :)

thanks,
pete

Last edited:

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
OMG, I remember fixing a VERY few Merkur car back in the day and they were all a f'in night mare.

Welcome to the site and good luck on your quest.

The problems that I had with those cars are enought to still have me afraid !

pyropete125

Established Member
well most of the problems are with wiring and a stupid design of the actual eec system [hardware and programing] - both of with have been fixed :)

its a very fast little car that practicly nobody knows what it is.

pete

Users who are viewing this thread