WRX vs WRX STi? Differences?

ESVEETEE

Established Member
Anyone have any idea the major differences between an STi and a regular WRX? Same block? same mods just different boost? any ideas? thanks guys.

I wouldnt ask this here but im debating hard between a TT 97 GT nearby for a great price and a 2003 WRX thats goin for a great price also. Im worried about the reliability of the GT because he said its been under boost for 12,000 miles (16-21 psi) and if i understood correctly he's on the stock block but forged internals. I just cant see that lasting that long! Also the winters in Tennessee are never harsh with feet upon feet of snow... but we do have a good amount of ice on the roads in december thru february. With that in mind, I am kinda leanin toward the WRX- insurance shouldnt be ridiculous, gas mileage pretty good, AWD, almost brand new.

Im mostly just interested in how much $$ it'd take (ballpark) to get a 2003 WRX into high 12's low 13's. Thanks guys!!

Kcobra99

Established Member
The WRX up until 04,05 :shrug: had the 2.0L motor, while the STi has the 2.5L motor. I'm not sure what boost each are running stock, but there are a few other differences, such as the Sti having a control for the torque bias to the front. I'm sure the subie owners will be able to give a more detailed list of the exact differences.

Mika

Established Member
WRX('02-'05) has a 2.0 liter running a Mitsu TD-05 turbo(slightly larger than a regular sized hairdryer. Boost about 13.5 from the factory(227 hp/217 tq). STi has a 2.5 liter with a VF-39 turbo, running about 14-14.5 boost, 300 hp/300 tq. WRX's 5 speed is not the best when it comes to abuse. I've seen stock powered cars shredding 2nd gear 'cuz the people slam gears when shifting(abusing). STi's tranny has driver control center diff(DCCD), and is MUCH beefier. A company in Puerto Rico was putting 700+ hp/700 ft-lb. to the stock trans before it shredded a gear. And the clutch on that car was basically an on/off switch(read:race clutch).

To get a regular WRX into the 12's, it takes a bigger turbo/injectors/fuel pump/turboback exhaust/engine management and a decent driver. $$$ wise somewhere around $2k-2,500, depending on if you can do it yourself. To get an STi into the 12's, it takes a turboback exhaust and some form of engine management, about $1k-1,500, if you buy used.

My pick, if you really want a good car that has the ability to corner well and stop well, and go respectably, I'd get either the STi or the WRX. Be it in nice weather or crappy weather, the Subaru isn't a bad pick. Actually, the crappier the weather, the more the Subaru will shine. If you want a car that has wicked 1/4 mile potential(for cheaper, I might add), go with the GT.

FWIW, I had an '04 STi with a turboback and engine management, and I loved it. My job is wearing on my body, so I traded my STi in for a more comfortable 25 mile commute.

Mika

MusclePower1

Established Member
Just to add to what has already been said:

If you can get over the front end of the 2006 Impreza, go w/ that.
The 2006 WRX gets a 2.5L turbo (same turbo as w/ the former 2.0L) w/
230hp/235lb-ft....this has been proved btw to be underrated, unless the old 2.0L. The 06 WRX also has a reinforced tranny, so it's potential to bust under strain is less.
As for the 2002-05 WRX models, get the one which you think has the best styling. I see you found an 03 WRX...if you like the "bug eyed" 02/03 style then go for it. Also, the 03 had the bugs worked out so its slightly better than an 02 (otherwise they're completely identical).

If $$ is not a that tight, I recommend an 06 WRX simply b/c subaru made so many improvements over the previous years
2.5 vs. 2.0
beefier tranny
17" vs. 16" wheels
upgraded brakes
tight steering/front suspension
optional leather/moonroof (if that's ur thing)

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
like mika said, don't buy the wrx if you want a race car. the tranny won't hang. i treat mine like a vw. nice and clean into second-then nail it. if you can get a good deal on a used '03 sti i'd go that way. i like th bugeyes better.

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
ESVEETEE. It seems you and I are in the same predicament concerning our current vehicles lol. But on the subject, if you are looking for just quarter mile times definetley go with the STi. Most mags have it pinned at low 13s. (Mag Racing is gay in my opinion but still).

C.K.

Established Member
STi's are great cars. I've seen several run 12.8 stock, so they have the potential. Here in Sacto we have a 540 AWP STi with a G35 or something turbo. Sweet car, plus it can turn. We also had an 01-02 WRX run a 12.9, he had an upgraded trubo as well. The STi tranny can take a serious beating. I've seen people dump the clutch at 5 grand and hole shot like no other. Absolutely insane :eek: . I've driven an STi before and loved it. Only complaints would be really short shifts, and little bit bumpy ride, but who cares.That car is meant to be driven. Plus, you can take them in the snow and dirt, and that is fun. Rain is no problem also, great gas milage, and when i say great better than a KB cobra that is around here that gets 13-14. He posts on here. Stock STi should get 16-20 mpg if you granny shift, 21 if your lucky. I would highly reccomend the car. Before i became obsessed with SVT'S, i loved Subies. Great place to lurk and ask questions is www.clubwrx.net. They are very friendly and would be happy to help. Good luck with your purchace! :beer:

C.K.

Established Member
One more thing:
06 WRX:
230-hp 2.5-liter turbo engine
235 lb-ft of torque at 3,600 rpm
Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive
Sport-tuned 4-wheel independent suspension
140-watt 6-speaker premium audio system with 6-disc in-dash CD changer
Automatic climate control
17-inch alloy wheels
Performance-inspired seats
Remote keyless entry system
Antitheft security system

06 STi:
300-hp 2.5-liter turbo engine
300 lb-ft of torque at 4,000 rpm
Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive with Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD)
High performance sport-tuned 4-wheel independent suspension
Brembo performance brake system
Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
140-watt 6-speaker premium audio system with 6-disc in-dash CD changer
Automatic climate control
17-inch BBS wheels
STI-design front seats with fixed integrated head restraints and embroidered STI logos
Remote keyless entry system
Antitheft security system

Braking is insane on the STi. They brake better than most exotics. 13 or 14 inch brembos. Good stuff :rolling:

Last edited:

NotoriousJaegs

~There Goes My Hero~
Established Member
I thought they "bumped" hp to 303 or something like that for '06, but I see that the Subaru homepage has it down as 300 still :shrug:. I guess that means all they did for '06 was change one of the diffs and also make the nose look really funny.

TacticalKaos

Established Member
I choose the STi because of the tranny and the brakes. The car handles like it should be on the track right from the factory. Anyway, as far as the WRX goes unless its an 06 you'll be running an EJ20 engine. These are entirely capable engines with lots of after market support. Get the Spec C RA gearset!! It has seemed to alleviate the early model WRX tranny problems.

Users who are viewing this thread