Wrong BAP wiring cause ALT to go bad?

Fender34

Established Member
Hey guys!
Just installed a BAP on my car about 1,000 miles ago and now my alternator is taking a dumb. Car as 43,000 on it an I know the alternators go bad a lot but just wondering if the BAP could have done that? The new wire upgrade from lethal has crappy instructions and are different colored wires from the old one. BAP still hums and seems to be working. Wonder if you guys could give me any advice! Thanks! BTW BAP is wires PRE-FPDM

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
The fuse installed between the battery and BAP should protect the battery and alternator from over current. Your alternator issue is most likely unrelated.

I installed my BAP only a few hundred miles ago and my alternator is going too (39k). My understanding of the alternator failure is the alternator voltage regulator having to operating at very high temperatures. High temp shortens all electronic life, which is why electronic reliability testing is done in a high temp oven.

You can measure the output voltage of the BAP if you want to make sure its working properly.
:beer:

Fender34

Established Member
Ok I'll measure it with a voltage meter today and plug in my handheld to datalog it later to see if it's still running! Thanks for the quick responds man! Any others want to chime in, feel free!

Users who are viewing this thread