written test in 2 days

LOL WUT

+65,000
Established Member
Written tests are typically a joke these days, at least here in the midwest. I seriously think they are there to weed out complete idiots. Just keep studing like the others have said and don't stress too much about it, be confident and relaxed. Good luck!

BearsFTW18

Established Member
Just relax. I've passed all the written tests I've taken and thought they were all very easy. The written is the least stressful part of the process. lol wait til you get to the oral board.

don't OVER study and don't over think the test. Don't second guess yourself too much and try to stick with your original answer. Get a good night sleep before the test and eat a good breakfast. Bring a couple smalls pieces of chocolate with you and eat them before you walk in. Don't get there 5 minutes before the test starts because then you are going to be rushing and your mind will not be in the right place. Get there at least 30-45minutes early and just sit in your car and relax if you'd like.

Also, if there's a lot of people there taking the test, don't worry about it. Don't let things like "wow this is a pointless, theres way too many people" get into your head. I took a written with 300 people and get the 6th highest score on the exam. Stay confident and dont worry about the others. After all, SOMEONE has to get hired. Nothing says it can't be you.

Last edited:

cobra_mer

Established Member
For the instant sugar, carbs aka brain food, same thing track athletes do with honey before a race. Aslo studies have proven that have something like candy, gum while taking exams improve scores.

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
hmm why didnt that register when i read it, makes complete sense ima do that!

any pointers for the oral?

BearsFTW18

Established Member
hmm why didnt that register when i read it, makes complete sense ima do that!

any pointers for the oral?

yes.

PREPARE.

wear a suit. jacket and all. I cant believe that three other applicants in the room with me on tuesday showed up for their interview with no jacket. One guys tie was hanging 3inches lower than it should. one guys shirt was 3 sizes too big and hanging out everywhere, and another guy didnt even wear a tie.

speak slow and clear. Record/videotape yourself and you'll be surprised all the mistakes you. Watch your inflection on words and cut out all of the "umms" "uhhs", etc. Do not ramble and repeat yourself over and over. Make your statement, stick to it, and move on to the next question.

the only question that I can almost guarantee that they'll ask you is...."why do you want to be a police officer?" or "tell us about the education/training/experience that you have up until now that makes you think you would be a good police officer", all the other questions....who knows.

^for that question...don't just say, "because I want to help people." They hear the same stuff repeated over and over. If that truly is one of your reasons, then say it. But have much more to say than that. If part of it is because it's exciting and presents new opportunities and things to do every day, say that too.

They MAY ask you a question like "whats one of your weaknesses?". Don't just say it and move on. State your weakness, use an example of it, show that you recognize it and are improving on it.

Example could be something like....."one of my weaknesses comes from one of my strengths. Because I am so enthusiastic and eager, I sometimes become impatient."

life over property.

If they ask situational type questions, sometimes there is no right answer. Of course you have to use common sense though. But as I said, with some questions there isn't only one answer. They want you to stick to one answer and give your reasons why. They may try and challenge your answer to make you think it's wrong and change it, never change your answer. When you change it, you're done. Stick to your answer.

RESEARCH THE DEPARTMENT. I can't stress that enough. many people will walk in there and know nothing about the department, it becomes very obvious that they want just ANY cop job. Read the departments mission statement. Look into things like how many districts, what programs they have, police/community relations, etc. Also, know what community policing is. If you can, do a ride along with the department before. It shows interest and initiative. It also will allow you to learn a bit about the department and community. It looks good.

the whole point of the oral board is for you to display why you are a better candidate than the others. It's a chance for you to sell yourself. But don't appear cocky and full of yourself.

If you don't know an answer to a question, say that. It's better than to try and bullshit your way through. Most panel members can sense that stuff.

They may ask a question like "would you write your mother a speeding ticket?" Everyone knows you wouldn't. But explain why and give good reasons. Cops have discretion.

No matter what you do, you will be nervous until you leave that interview. That's ok though it's normal. But imagine how much more nervous you'll be if you don't prepare yourself at all.

I'm not an LEO yet, but I'm sure some LEOs on here could give you even more advice.

Last edited:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
yes.

PREPARE.

wear a suit. jacket and all. I cant believe that three other applicants in the room with me on tuesday showed up for their interview with no jacket. One guys tie was hanging 3inches lower than it should. one guys shirt was 3 sizes too big and hanging out everywhere, and another guy didnt even wear a tie.

speak slow and clear. Record/videotape yourself and you'll be surprised all the mistakes you. Watch your inflection on words and cut out all of the "umms" "uhhs", etc. Do not ramble and repeat yourself over and over. Make your statement, stick to it, and move on to the next question.

the only question that I can almost guarantee that they'll ask you is...."why do you want to be a police officer?" or "tell us about the education/training/experience that you have up until now that makes you think you would be a good police officer", all the other questions....who knows.

^for that question...don't just say, "because I want to help people." They hear the same stuff repeated over and over. If that truly is one of your reasons, then say it. But have much more to say than that. If part of it is because it's exciting and presents new opportunities and things to do every day, say that too.

They MAY ask you a question like "whats one of your weaknesses?". Don't just say it and move on. State your weakness, use an example of it, show that you recognize it and are improving on it.

Example could be something like....."one of my weaknesses comes from one of my strengths. Because I am so enthusiastic and eager, I sometimes become impatient."

life over property.

If they ask situational type questions, sometimes there is no right answer. Of course you have to use common sense though. But as I said, with some questions there isn't only one answer. They want you to stick to one answer and give your reasons why. They may try and challenge your answer to make you think it's wrong and change it, never change your answer. When you change it, you're done. Stick to your answer.

RESEARCH THE DEPARTMENT. I can't stress that enough. many people will walk in there and know nothing about the department, it becomes very obvious that they want just ANY cop job. Read the departments mission statement. Look into things like how many districts, what programs they have, police/community relations, etc. Also, know what community policing is. If you can, do a ride along with the department before. It shows interest and initiative. It also will allow you to learn a bit about the department and community. It looks good.

the whole point of the oral board is for you to display why you are a better candidate than the others. It's a chance for you to sell yourself. But don't appear cocky and full of yourself.

If you don't know an answer to a question, say that. It's better than to try and bullshit your way through. Most panel members can sense that stuff.

They may ask a question like "would you write your mother a speeding ticket?" Everyone knows you wouldn't. But explain why and give good reasons. Cops have discretion.

No matter what you do, you will be nervous until you leave that interview. That's ok though it's normal. But imagine how much more nervous you'll be if you don't prepare yourself at all.

I'm not an LEO yet, but I'm sure some LEOs on here could give you even more advice.

Good stuff there! Nice Post!

Want a job? :lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread