"Wrench Light" Volume II

Turbosnake95

Established Member
So here I sit typing this post in a last ditch effort.

Here is what's currently installed on the car:
-Stock Throttle Body (switched back out from the Ford Racing 65mm)
-127mm Carbon Fiber Big Air Intake
-Innovators West, Inc. 10% OD Pulley
-American Racing 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers
-3" Off Road H-Pipe
-NGK TR7 IX Plugs
-Lund tune

Here is what I have sitting brand new in their boxes on my floor:
-KB 168mm Oval TB
-X.B.A Inlet elbow
-KB Competition Dual Boost a Pump
-33 Spline Moser axles
-33 Spline Detroit True Track Differential
-9" ends
-Ace Manufacturing 4.10 Ring and Pinion (R.E.M Polished and Cryogenic treated)
-Updated Lund tune

Unfortunately I will not be installing or buying a single new item for this car till I get this "Wrench Light" issue worked out, If I cannot then back to stock the car goes to trade in for something else.

WHAT I KNOW:

Not wanting to go in depth of stuff already discussed you can see my last symptoms here:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1056593-Wrench-Light

After some recent discussion I was asked to install the stock TB back onto the car (4 weeks ago) and see if the "Wrench Light" continues. Well after installing the stock TB I had no episode up until a few days ago. Keep in mind this is the stock TB with the stock electronics. 99% of the time that this "wrench light" comes on there is "NO" check engine light, only two exceptions and they were (1) a couple days ago it came on. Unfortunately by the time I returned home (SCT hand held device location) the check engine light corrected itself and turned off with no DTC recorded. (2) Awhile back there was another time the check engine light came on, I pulled the code and it was related to a TB error. Unfortunately I do not recall the exact wording or code as it was awhile ago and was with the then new 65mm Ford Racing TB.

So when the wrench light does come on the car goes into limp mode. If I turn the car off and quickly restart 99% of the time the wrench light "Does Not" come back on and the car drives normal. Sometimes (1%) it might take a couple quick on/off starts to get the light to go away.

When the wrench light does come on I have gotten the SCT hand held device to detect a code, unfortunately no code is detected just the wrench light illuminated and car in limp mode.

So...
- Does this wrench light event happen all the time? NO, just every once in awhile
- Is there "ANY" codes to pull when wrench light comes on? NO, no codes detected by the SCT tuner
- Is this wrench light issue able to be manipulated to turn off and on? YES (By quickly starting the car off and on I can cause the issue)
- Were both TB's using the same stock electronics? NO, the Ford Racing TB had it's own, so two separate electronics but wrench light issue still persists
- Did this wrench light issue start prior to ANY modifications: NO, it started only after the initial round of modifications
- Is it possible that this wrench light is being manipulated by the aftermarket tune? I was told NO.
- Does the car always go into limp mode when wrench light event happens? YES, except for one instance it seemed to drive normal.. but I didn't drive far before I restarted the car and light went off.
-Could this be an issue with the ignition switch, ECU, or electrical wiring that controls the TB? UNSURE. Today I went out and checked all the pins and wires within and on the connectors to make sure they were all in tact. everything seemed to look in order. The ignition switch is firm when turning the key.

Other that everything I typed above I am at a loss of what is causing this. I did a quick search on the web, unfortunately there seems to be an abundance of this issue and not just with the Mustangs. After reading through a few dozen threads on all types of boards there was no single one possible fix, or no follow up to thread if they did fixed it. Some even took there cars or trucks to the dealer with very little if any success.

Drive By Wire TB electronics not being very cooperative with my car or myself it seems...

- Could something in the car be messing with the TPS and causing it to error?
- Are there codes that a dealer can pull that the SCT cannot?

I now have just shy of 13,000 miles on the car.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
So you don't known what code sets when the wrench light comes on? At least I didn't see one posted. Have you tried data logging the car and see if the wrench light comes on, at least than you could see whats going on when it sets

Turbosnake95

Established Member
So you don't known what code sets when the wrench light comes on? At least I didn't see one posted. Have you tried data logging the car and see if the wrench light comes on, at least than you could see whats going on when it sets

There are two distinct lights that can come on the "Check Engine light" and the "Wrench Light"

Except for two instances the only light to come on is the "wrench light" and the SCT tuner will pick up no codes, even while the wrench light is illuminated.

With that said and as stated above, the "check engine light" has come on twice with the wrench light. The first time was awhile back (over a year ago) and I cannot remember or find the paper I wrote the code down on. The second time and most recent was a few days ago, but by the time I got home to plug in the SCT tuner the "check engine light" went off and corrected itself. Plugged in the tuner and .... nothing.. No code was stored.

Will most likely take it to dealer, manipulate the wrench light to come on with the mechanic in the car and see what they say.

Last edited:

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
VCM II has a "flight recorder" now also but in order to see all the trouble codes you have to use IDS and oasis.. it is the only thing that communicates with all of the parts in the data chain.. and it can tell you pretty specifically what is going on..

dotmpeg

Established Member
This happened to me last week. I shut the car off and turned it back on and the wrench light came on. I went to get my tuner to check the code. I turned the car off and back on before I hooked the tuner to it and it went away. So I don't know why it came on. That's the first time this has happened. I recently added an offroad xpipe a couple hundred miles ago. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Turbosnake95

Established Member
Wrench Light Update

After many months of frustration, disappointment, and switching parts out it seems I have conquered the Wrench Light issue.

After receiving my car back from the dealer with a brand new MAF sensor, the very next day the wrench light explodes with light yet again.

I discussed the issue with Lund and how the dealer stated it was the tune. Lund was very confident that it wasn't. So at my wits end once again I was randomly searching the internet for anything that could possibly assist with this nightmare. Then I found it, a short video that you wouldn't even blink twice at. I watched and then re-watched. I went outside to my car and followed the video to the T, even adding extra time to the times given. Video is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNxXM75zJOw

It has now been over two weeks and I have yet to be able to manipulate the wrench light on. It has been in the 90's here temperature wise and that hasn't even caused the dreaded wrench light. I did quick starts on and off, on and off and still no wrench light. Everything that would cause the wrench light to illuminate in the past I tried again and NOTHING!!!

Hopefully this good fortune continues and I can start installing all the goodies that have been sitting in my garage for months now.

For my brothers that have also had this wrench light issue please try whats explained in the video. This fix could be the answer to your prayers. Report back if it works or doesn't work for you.

Good Luck! :coolman:

Last edited:

Live Faster

Need for SPEED!!!
Established Member
Awesome work Supersnake! I'm definitely trying this out when I get home from work in a week. I'll be sure to report back with my results. Hope to god this fixes my issue as well.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Glad you figured it out I know my wrench light was infuriating.
Subscribing for reference to, thanks.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread