Wrench Light Fault . . . .

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
My wife's 2011 A6 5.0 has been suffering from the "Wrench Light" on the tachometer illuminating from time to time. The owner's manual says that it is a limp mode, related to the TPS, and to take it to the dealer for service. Usually, a quick off/on with the key will cure the problem (whatever it is) and the wrench light goes away. However, today it threw a CEL along with the wrench light. So as with every time before, a quick off/on of the key made the wrench light go away; but the CEL remained. Using the Aeroforce gauge, I attempted to read the DTC's but the gauge said there were none :??:

I have searched for the last 4hrs and have found nothing to help me with this wrench light anomaly. It appears there are many Ponies (of varying years) suffering from this wrench light fault, but no one has been able to pinpoint its exact cause or how to remedy this fault.

Are any of you guys experiencing this fault, and if so - what can I do to correct this problem?

GabeMarlin

V8/RWD Fanatic
Established Member
I would take it to Ford. The IDS scan tool they use is many steps above the generic OBD-II ability of the Aeroforce. They have a lot of manufacturer codes that only the IDS can read right now, as far as I know. Too new for aftermarket brand scan tools to have access.

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
** UPDATE **

I got back in town and was able to use my Xcal3 to read the DTC's in our 5.0.

Here are the codes it pulled up:

P060A - Internal Control Module Monitoring Processor Performance

U0300 - Internal Control Module Software Compatibility

The CEL has since gone off, making this is a perplexing situation. If there were damage to the PCM, wouldn't this be a full time CEL problem versus an intermittent CEL problem? We have owned the car since April/2011 and this is the first CEL it has thrown. Tune has been on the car since July/2011 with zero issues until now. The wrench has came on 3-4 times since December. I am scratching my head at this point.

I am going to discuss these codes with my tuner and then make a decision as to how to proceed. I will update this thread when I find the source of this problem and the resulting cure.

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
Sounds like a clear tune issue.

I guess so, but why act up now? The car hasn't been flashed in nearly 8 months. I can't wrap my brain around why this is just now becoming an issue if indeed it is tune related. If it was the tune, I would think it should have been spitting codes from day 1 - not 8 months after the fact. Either way, I will report my findings.

I appreciate you guys input :beer:

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
I guess so, but why act up now? The car hasn't been flashed in nearly 8 months. I can't wrap my brain around why this is just now becoming an issue if indeed it is tune related. If it was the tune, I would think it should have been spitting codes from day 1 - not 8 months after the fact. Either way, I will report my findings.

I appreciate you guys input :beer:

Ford spent millions on their factory tune. Tuner not so much.

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
Ford spent millions on their factory tune. Tuner not so much.

I agree that Ford did their homework, but to suggest that the "reputable" tuners haven't is a bit crazy. I know they haven't spent millions per say, but they have done their homework. I have owned a Gen 2 Lightning and an '03 Terminator; both of which had their "growing pains" just as the new 5.0 has experienced.

There are many Mustangs (though I haven't found a 2011 as of yet), as well as other Ford models (Explorers and F150's) of varying years, which are suffering from this wrench fault. I discovered this during my internet search of this wrench light fault. And many of them are stock, unmolested vehicles. The crazy thing with this wrench fault is it doesn't appear to log a fault with the PCM. There is a YouTube video of a V6 Pony with the wrench light and he states that Ford has told him they can't do anything to help him until they see his vehicle experience this fault. So he made the video in hopes of showing them that he isn't crazy. See video below.

[youtube_browser]rAXo7dqZGj0[/youtube_browser]

On a side note, there are factory stock vehicles of all makes that have had their PCM's crap out. So if it turns out to be a damaged PCM, I am not faulting the tune or tuner for that matter. If the tune were the culprit, I feel the PCM would have taken a dump the day I reflashed it with Amazon's tune - not 8 months after the tune was flashed. Right now, the CEL is gone and the car runs flawlessly. Even with the CEL light on, the car runs and idles fine. Now when the wrench light is illuminated, you can definitely tell there is something wrong with the car - It hunts and idles rough.

**EDIT - Add video**

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread