wreckless speeding ticket

96cobrastang

Established Member
last night i was leaving work and heading to my new girls house. it was around 6 pm and i was on our major highway Route 66 now i wasnt paying that close of attention as to my speed but i looked to my left and on the cut through i saw a shadow of a car and then the head lights came on. i looked at my speed and it was close to 100mph so i started to slow down and just pulled over. the officer gave me a ticket for wreckless speeding the speed he got me with was 98mph in a 55mph. anyone know what could happen or how to lower the ticket. i live in northern va and was pulled over by a state trooper

Lawman85

Banned
N A I L E D

43 miles over the speed limit at 6pm??? You would have gone to jail here for reckless driving. Good luck with a reduction, the prosecutor will probably pee his pants laughing at you, especially in Virginia. The only advice is to get a lawyer, he is the only one that has a shot at this one.

jshen

Established Member
See Va's code

Reckless driving [ 46.2-868 ] is a misdemeanor. Possible punishment?

18.2-11. Punishment for conviction of misdemeanor

The authorized punishments for conviction of a misdemeanor are:

(a) For Class 1 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $ 2,500, either or both.

AND:
§ 46.2-392. Suspension of license or issuance of a restricted license on conviction of reckless or aggressive driving; probationary conditions required; generally

In addition to the penalties for reckless driving prescribed in § 46.2-868 and the penalties for aggressive driving prescribed in § 46.2-868.1, the court may suspend the driver's license issued to a person convicted of reckless driving or aggressive driving for a period of not less than 10 days nor more than six months and the court shall require the convicted person to surrender his license so suspended to the court where it will be disposed of in accordance with § 46.2-398.

You may apply for a condtional/business purpose license but that is up to the judge.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
96cobrastang said:
<SNIP> the officer gave me a ticket for wreckless speeding the speed he got me with was 98mph in a 55mph. anyone know what could happen or how to lower the ticket. i live in northern va and was pulled over by a state trooper

All I can say is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH ROTFLMAO ..... Oh my GAWD .... you are sooooooo phuced .....

This is speaking from experience .... I live in NOVA for 30 years .. when I left to move to texas I had 11 points on my license and that was AFTER taking the safe driver class that removed 5 of them. I have done much better in Texas .. I have calmed my driving down and they are more tolerant of the kinds of things I used to get tickets for in Va.

Best advice .. depending on the current state of a) your drivers license point poundage B) your wallet c)your insurance coverage .. Hire a lawyer .. take the safe driver course BEFORE court, Pray three times a day for three days before going to court, tell the judge what a stupid thing it was to do and how you feel like an absolute moron and be all apologetic and stuff and he may drop it to something like vaseline without sand.

Judges in Northern Va are some of the most intolerant judges I know when it comes to speeding way above the limit. But most of them are reasonable if you go in with the right attitude.

You won't go to jail unless there are some factors you haven't told us about (again this is from my experience). You WILL pay throgh the nose fine wise, and depending on your driving record you may or may not suffer a suspension of some kind. He WILL likely send you to driving school which is why you should go take it before hand and show lots of contrition when you do go to court.

Good luck on this one ... :beer: <--- prolly inappropriate but they don't have one lifting cokes LOL

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
RDJ said:
All I can say is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH ROTFLMAO ..... Oh my GAWD .... you are sooooooo phuced .....

Enjoy that... much? :dw:

:)

svt_foci

Don't Answer
Established Member
Well being that I live in NOVA i have had a few friends end up in Traffic Court (FAirfax County)... Best advise Get a Lawyer!!! Va is not the place to be going 100mph! Some bad news and somthing you should be worried about is going to JAIL! If you were in Fairfax a fair warining that they are notorious for putting people in jail for a couple of days just to make an example. If you havent yet take a deffensive driving class! This may make a good impression to the court, but if it doesnt (you were driving almost 100 mph!!) atleast it will offset some of the points your going to loose. By the way where in the world can you drive that fast on 66 durring rush hour on a Friday? (the busiest day 66 sees all week?)...Good LUCK!

04svtdriver

I need another sports car
Established Member
Well Get a lawyer I got clocked at 123 in a 55. I got a lawyer paid him + a $300 fine and had to get a special licsence that let me drive just to work for a few months. Trust me though get a lawyer I don't care what it costs. Mine had me sign a waiver so I didn't have to actually go to court. That way he could talk to just the DA instead of that actuall judge. Good Luck bud.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
WTF said:
Enjoy that... much? :dw:

:)

Yah actually I did LOL! .... I busted out when I read the OP.... As has been asked "where the hell do you drive almost 100mph on 66 during rush hour? I used to make that drive regularly ... and I KNOW it hasn't gotten any better. On a Friday ... at 6PM 66 is backed up from washington DC to the HARRISONBURG exit at a minimum. There are spots where I suppose it MIGHT clear out enough to do 98 for a 1/4 mile or so but not many. Of course this did happen during the holiday break so traffic is less, what with the college kids not making the trek to/from JMU.

he is going to need a lawyer tho .. and depending on what the rest of the story really is ... I am not sure I will sympathize much when he looses his license for awhile. I would love to be in court to hear the cops side of it .. But I believe that 20 over in NOVA is automatically reckless driving no if, ands, or buts about it. My daughter got one after she was married and came very close to loosing her license for awhile. Not sure how she got over it cause she never told me and I didn't ask *heh*.

Badfish

Banned
04svtdriver said:
Well Get a lawyer I got clocked at 123 in a 55. I got a lawyer paid him + a $300 fine and had to get a special licsence that let me drive just to work for a few months. Trust me though get a lawyer I don't care what it costs. Mine had me sign a waiver so I didn't have to actually go to court. That way he could talk to just the DA instead of that actuall judge. Good Luck bud.
daaamn, 123 in a 55

Lord Warlock

Established Member
Get a lawyer, and let him work out the details for you. No use to argue anything. VA has always been a strict driving state, I got my first license there in 1977, at least you could speed on 66 back then (went to WT Woodson HS). Oh, and for laughing boy, you lose a license, you loosen a tie. i.e. losing vs loosing. You laugh at others misfortune, I laugh at illiteracy in youth.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Lord Warlock said:
Get a lawyer, and let him work out the details for you. No use to argue anything. VA has always been a strict driving state, I got my first license there in 1977, at least you could speed on 66 back then (went to WT Woodson HS). Oh, and for laughing boy, you lose a license, you loosen a tie. i.e. losing vs loosing. You laugh at others misfortune, I laugh at illiteracy in youth.

Misfortune my ass.... You know as well as I do that doing 98 at rush hour on 66 and getting caught is not misfortune .. it is justice. You got to pay to play .. now had he been doing the speed limit and gotten hit THAT is misfortune .. but being totally stupid on a highway and getting caught is not misfortune ...

and I don't know how old you are but you should check before you throw stones... I was driving almost 10 years before you got your first license ... It is comforting to know however that there is someone on the board who takes the time to correct grammer and spelling ... too bad it is done in such an arrogant and uninformed manner. You are correct however and I bow to your superior spelling skills....

normbo03

Banned
**Removed by Moderator**

Please READ the guidelines for this forum and follow them.

Flaming, derogatory comment and/or flippant remarks about police officers is NOT permitted.

thank you for your cooperation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blk03GT

Established Member
Get a lawyer,

I got caught for 125 on a CBR 1000. Sh*t the bike goes 90 in first gear..Doesn't make it right, I know I was wrong so save your "boo hoo post".

Anyway, lawyer got it down to $350 buck, exb. of speed, and unfort. 3 pts (that hurt, but again, my fault). BUT I GOT TO KEEP DL....

96cobrastang

Established Member
i got 6 months no license $500 fine and and 98 days in jail but i only had to serve 5 hours but another ticket and im in the slammer for the remainder

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
So your jail time was suspended? That means another ticket or any real run ins with the police and that sentence goes into play. Keep your head down and stay out of trouble.

crouton

Crunchy Cube
Established Member
You didn't notice you were doing over 40mph over the speed limit? Were you not passing people like they were standing still? Even if this was on a two lane (one lane for each way) road... There isn't really an excuse for going that much over.

The police officer did you a favor... I bet people never think that perhaps he saved your life and those of others. What would happen if someone pulled out infront of you when you're doing 40+ over the speed limit? Think about that, rather than all of the "trouble" he has caused you. *edited by moderator*

I'm not flaming you here, Everyone makes mistakes, but you have to learn from it. Be safe everyone. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

bouncer18

Established Member
holy shit man...

my brother got caught doing 118 in a 45 at 3 in the afternoon and all he got was a speeding ticket for 425 bucks and a no seat belt ticket of 50 bucks!@!! (5 years ago tho)

Users who are viewing this thread