Wreckless Op for driving through puddle to fast

JUST TRY 03

Established Member
Tonight on my way home from work i stopped at Wendys, its been raining for the past 3 days here and there was a big puddle i drove through, My speedo didnt register i would say i was going 5-6 mph. Cop pulls me over and first word out of his mouth was "what in the **** do you think your doing?" and then he says "what if there was a person walking by, you could have gotten them wet."Usually cops are somewhat nice to me when i get pulled over but not this guy. 45 minutes later he comes back with a wreckless op ticket and give me a mandatory court date.

I personally think this is crazy, there wasnt a car in the parking lot and it was 8:00 at night. Can i fight this or should i let it go?

djom1cincy

Established Member
So you drove through a puddle at a low speed and water splashed and cop gave you a r.o.? If that's really the case you need a lawyer and fight it. R.o. is a 4 point ticket in Ohio.

JUST TRY 03

Established Member
yes thats what happened, i was driving through a small wendys parking lot. the parking lot wasnt big enough to get up to any speed. and the officer told me it was a 6 point

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Ohio must be pretty tough if they hand out tickets for avoiding wrecks...

Last edited:

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
wait, you got a ticket on private property? i have only ever heard of that with dui. hell my buddy use to always tell me not to stop for the stop signs in parking lots since they (he is a city cop) cant do shit about it. hell the cops wont even get involved if there is an accident on private property, let alone driving through puddles too fast.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Just out of curiousity, did you happen to drive "out of your way" and turn your steering wheel to make certain your vehicle "splashed" into the puddle ?

Seen more than a few people "zig zag" in order to "splash" into a puddle - usually when they attempt to soak pedestrians or people waiting alongside the road at a bus stop.

JUST TRY 03

Established Member
no i didnt, at this wendys you turn into the parking lot, drive straight along side the building, this is where the puddle was, then turn left into the drive thru lane.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
wait, you got a ticket on private property? i have only ever heard of that with dui. hell my buddy use to always tell me not to stop for the stop signs in parking lots since they (he is a city cop) cant do shit about it. hell the cops wont even get involved if there is an accident on private property, let alone driving through puddles too fast.

Reckless is a criminal charge, not traffic. Private property doesn't matter.

Blade Runner

Texas; We'll kick ur ass!
Established Member
I would suggest going back to said Wendy's and take pictures of the property to assist in your defense.

CSD

Banned
Ohio must be pretty tough if they hand out tickets for avoiding wrecks...

Ha! My thoughts exactly. Reckless, not wreckless. :bash:

Just out of curiousity, did you happen to drive "out of your way" and turn your steering wheel to make certain your vehicle "splashed" into the puddle ?

Seen more than a few people "zig zag" in order to "splash" into a puddle - usually when they attempt to soak pedestrians or people waiting alongside the road at a bus stop.

This is what first came to mind after reading the OP's post. I've seen people do this. Seeing how the OP has a negative trader rating, I wouldn't put it past him. Too bad we'll never hear the officer's side of this..

+1

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member

Its a Traffic charge in Ohio guys, not criminal. (things are classified differently in Ohio)

4511.201 Operation off street or highway in willful or wanton disregard of the safety of persons or property.

(A) No person shall operate a vehicle, trackless trolley, or streetcar on any public or private property other than streets or highways, in willful or wanton disregard of the safety of persons or property.

This section does not apply to the competitive operation of vehicles on public or private property when the owner of such property knowingly permits such operation thereon.

And reckless for 5-6 through a puddle? Doesn't pass the smell test. :fart:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member

Your buddy gives lousy advice.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
yes thats what happened, i was driving through a small wendys parking lot. the parking lot wasnt big enough to get up to any speed. and the officer told me it was a 6 point

The reckless operation OFF street is not a 6pt charge.

(C) A court shall assess the following points for an offense based on the following formula:

(1) Aggravated vehicular homicide, vehicular homicide, vehicular manslaughter, aggravated vehicular assault, or vehicular assault when the offense involves the operation of a vehicle, streetcar, or trackless trolley on a highway or street …....... 6 points

(2) A violation of section 2921.331 of the Revised Code or any ordinance prohibiting the willful fleeing or eluding of a law enforcement officer …....... 6 points

(3) A violation of section 4549.02 or 4549.021 of the Revised Code or any ordinance requiring the driver of a vehicle to stop and disclose identity at the scene of an accident …....... 6 points

(4) A violation of section 4511.251 of the Revised Code or any ordinance prohibiting street racing …....... 6 points

(5) A violation of section 4510.11, 4510.14, 4510.16, or 4510.21 of the Revised Code or any ordinance prohibiting the operation of a motor vehicle while the driver’s or commercial driver’s license is under suspension …....... 6 points

(6) A violation of division (A) of section 4511.19 of the Revised Code, any ordinance prohibiting the operation of a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, a drug of abuse, or a combination of them, or any ordinance substantially equivalent to division (A) of section 4511.19 of the Revised Code prohibiting the operation of a vehicle with a prohibited concentration of alcohol, a controlled substance, or a metabolite of a controlled substance in the whole blood, blood serum or plasma, breath, or urine …....... 6 points

(7) A violation of section 2913.03 of the Revised Code that does not involve an aircraft or motorboat or any ordinance prohibiting the operation of a vehicle without the consent of the owner …....... 6 points

(8) Any offense under the motor vehicle laws of this state that is a felony, or any other felony in the commission of which a motor vehicle was used …....... 6 points

(9) A violation of division (B) of section 4511.19 of the Revised Code or any ordinance substantially equivalent to that division prohibiting the operation of a vehicle with a prohibited concentration of alcohol in the whole blood, blood serum or plasma, breath, or urine …....... 4 points

(10) A violation of section 4511.20 of the Revised Code or any ordinance prohibiting the operation of a motor vehicle in willful or wanton disregard of the safety of persons or property …....... 4 points

(11) A violation of any law or ordinance pertaining to speed:

(a) Notwithstanding divisions (C)(11)(b) and (c) of this section, when the speed exceeds the lawful speed limit by thirty miles per hour or more …....... 4 points

(b) When the speed exceeds the lawful speed limit of fifty-five miles per hour or more by more than ten miles per hour …....... 2 points

(c) When the speed exceeds the lawful speed limit of less than fifty-five miles per hour by more than five miles per hour …....... 2 points

(d) When the speed does not exceed the amounts set forth in divisions (C)(11)(a), (b), or (c) of this section …....... 0 points

(12) Operating a motor vehicle in violation of a restriction imposed by the registrar …....... 2 points

(13) All other moving violations reported under this section …....... 2 points

JUST TRY 03

Established Member
The reckless operation OFF street is not a 6pt charge.

(C) A court shall assess the following points for an offense based on the following formula:

(1) Aggravated vehicular homicide, vehicular homicide, vehicular manslaughter, aggravated vehicular assault, or vehicular assault when the offense involves the operation of a vehicle, streetcar, or trackless trolley on a highway or street …....... 6 points

(2) A violation of section 2921.331 of the Revised Code or any ordinance prohibiting the willful fleeing or eluding of a law enforcement officer …....... 6 points

(3) A violation of section 4549.02 or 4549.021 of the Revised Code or any ordinance requiring the driver of a vehicle to stop and disclose identity at the scene of an accident …....... 6 points

(4) A violation of section 4511.251 of the Revised Code or any ordinance prohibiting street racing …....... 6 points

(5) A violation of section 4510.11, 4510.14, 4510.16, or 4510.21 of the Revised Code or any ordinance prohibiting the operation of a motor vehicle while the driver’s or commercial driver’s license is under suspension …....... 6 points

(6) A violation of division (A) of section 4511.19 of the Revised Code, any ordinance prohibiting the operation of a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, a drug of abuse, or a combination of them, or any ordinance substantially equivalent to division (A) of section 4511.19 of the Revised Code prohibiting the operation of a vehicle with a prohibited concentration of alcohol, a controlled substance, or a metabolite of a controlled substance in the whole blood, blood serum or plasma, breath, or urine …....... 6 points

(7) A violation of section 2913.03 of the Revised Code that does not involve an aircraft or motorboat or any ordinance prohibiting the operation of a vehicle without the consent of the owner …....... 6 points

(8) Any offense under the motor vehicle laws of this state that is a felony, or any other felony in the commission of which a motor vehicle was used …....... 6 points

(9) A violation of division (B) of section 4511.19 of the Revised Code or any ordinance substantially equivalent to that division prohibiting the operation of a vehicle with a prohibited concentration of alcohol in the whole blood, blood serum or plasma, breath, or urine …....... 4 points

(10) A violation of section 4511.20 of the Revised Code or any ordinance prohibiting the operation of a motor vehicle in willful or wanton disregard of the safety of persons or property …....... 4 points

(11) A violation of any law or ordinance pertaining to speed:

(a) Notwithstanding divisions (C)(11)(b) and (c) of this section, when the speed exceeds the lawful speed limit by thirty miles per hour or more …....... 4 points

(b) When the speed exceeds the lawful speed limit of fifty-five miles per hour or more by more than ten miles per hour …....... 2 points

(c) When the speed exceeds the lawful speed limit of less than fifty-five miles per hour by more than five miles per hour …....... 2 points

(d) When the speed does not exceed the amounts set forth in divisions (C)(11)(a), (b), or (c) of this section …....... 0 points

(12) Operating a motor vehicle in violation of a restriction imposed by the registrar …....... 2 points

(13) All other moving violations reported under this section …....... 2 points

On my ticket it says 4511.201, and he did say it was 6 points, and he could tow my car blah blah. he told me it was a 6 point ticket multiple times

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread