wreckless driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVT_driv3r

Established Member
i was going down a pretty crowded blvd in SoCal named Ventura BLVD. and i was heading east and i had hit a redlight. as i began to give the car gas i saw a police officer had a person pulled over and i realized i had my stereo a bit loud so i reached to turn it down and knocked the car into neutral which in turn reved my motor. as i then drove about 20 seconds later i see a cop behind me and proceeded to pull me over.

i casually stopped and then he told me to step out of the vehicle with my hands on top of my head, i complied and walked out where he then told me that i swerved into him and reving my motor. he called me an idiot and i then proceeded to tell him that i did not do it on purpose and he told me to shut up. now here is the thing, i have 4 friends that were right behind me driving saying i did not swerv at all, at the least all that happend was my motor was reved.

now here is my problem the ticket says (wreckless driving - no injury) approx speed 40 in 35 zone. do you think my case is pretty strong if just grab my friends and have pictures where my stereo knob is pretty flush with my shifter? or what do you think i should say or do to get out of this because if im convicted i face big jail time and or big fines. -Billy

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
Ask a lawyer. A consultation should be free, and he knows the laws and how this kind of thing plays in court.

SVT_driv3r

Established Member
yeah thats what i thought... i mean im pretty good with words and bullshit i just lack the court experience so i guess ill go and ask a lawyer what they think

hydroshutter

don't worry about it
Established Member
Get a lawyer, based on your age the judge will rip you a new one. How do I know? Same thing happened to me last year. Got my license suspended for 6 months.

SVT_driv3r

Established Member
yeah but i got alotta witnesses and wreckless driving for 40 in 35 the cop better have a damn good reason to write me down for wreckless driving and better have some damn proof other wise im pretty sure between the speed he wrote down on the ticket combined with 4 friends that have no criminal records... i should be good :)

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
I would get a lawyer. Face it, being our age sucks and a judge isn't going to cut you any slack just because you have your buddies backing you on your story. Especially where you are...I mean, they are impounding and destroying cars for street racing out there. Get a lawyer; and get a good one. It will be worth it because, although he may say the exact same thing that you would say, the judge will listen to him much more than you (or me if I were in your shoes).

rb22886

Established Member
Also if he called you a idiot ask about that in court. When you get to cross examine him, ask him did you call me an idiot? If he answers yes, the judge may drop the ticket because of "not being professional" (Happened to me last year...got out of the ticket casue he called me a jackass)

SE01

Established Member
It's the cops word against yours. Who do you think the judge is going to believe. When your a cop, 95% of the people you pull over say they didn't do anything wrong. He thought that you were part of that 95% of people who deny not breaking the law. Sometimes it is hard to tell who is tellng the truth and who is lying to your face to get out of a ticket. It sucks to be that other 5% when you didn't mean to swerve at the cop or revv your engine.

cornholio

Established Member
I would not waste the $$ on a Lawyer. If you have a clean record and you present yourself and your witnesses in a professional manner, the reckless driving charge, per statute (research), should not stand. Do not mention the "you are an idiot" thing, most Judge's don't like that and it will get away from the topic at hand. Besides, the chances of the Cop making that admission are very slim.

Again, most importantly, present your case and witnesses with respect to the court and at worst you are looking at careless driving and a withhold. Good Luck.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
cornholio said:
I would not waste the $$ on a Lawyer. If you have a clean record and you present yourself and your witnesses in a professional manner, the reckless driving charge, per statute (research), should not stand. Do not mention the "you are an idiot" thing, most Judge's don't like that and it will get away from the topic at hand. Besides, the chances of the Cop making that admission are very slim.

Again, most importantly, present your case and witnesses with respect to the court and at worst you are looking at careless driving and a withhold. Good Luck.

Nice wish :rolleyes: If he takes this one on by himself, he would get slapped hard. A judge is not going to listen to a couple of ~~20 year olds when an officer is there as well telling his side of the story against them.

Fordguy0915

Established Member
Maverick Hunter said:
if im convicted i face big jail time and or big fines. -Billy

You can go to jail for wreckless driving??? I'm NEVER going to Kali :poke:

John

Lawman85

Banned
Fordguy0915 said:
You can go to jail for wreckless driving??? I'm NEVER going to Kali :poke:

John

Jail time in Ga too for wreckless driving. In fact, you have to post a cash bond on it. That means if you get charged with it, you take the ride to jail.

pwnt04

Frickin' Ladies Man
Established Member
Most police officers have onboard devices that record all audio from traffic stops. Also, most have a video unit which records everything. If he called you an idiot without it being warranted, it's possible that you could get a verbal abuse charge brought up against the officer. Ask to see the officer's video footage of you swerving your car at him.

If he didn't have a video surveilance system, chances are it'll be a classic case of the officer's word over yours. If that is the case, you have already lost.

lair116

Established Member
reckless driving ticket

If your really sure that you did not swerve into the cop even an inch then take your friends to court and ask the judge to look into the cops eyes and ask him if you in fact swerve into him, the judge will be able to tell by the cops expression and answer if he is not telling the truth, but if your are under oath and you tell the judge that you did not swerve it to him and the cop has you on camera... well then you better pack your bags, but if it's your first infraction just with draw your life savings :bowdown:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Golly, you mean you can tell someone is lying by looking them in the eye? Wonder how O.J got past that one?

lair116

Established Member
Reckless Driving

OJ was never put on the witness stand there for he was never taken down, besides he had a jury trial, OH and yes theres many ways to tell if someone is telling the truth or not or has a guilty back ground... like someone answering this post hehehaha!! :lol:

cornholio

Established Member
TrueBlueGT said:
Nice wish :rolleyes: If he takes this one on by himself, he would get slapped hard. A judge is not going to listen to a couple of ~~20 year olds when an officer is there as well telling his side of the story against them.

Sorry you disagree. But anyone who spends a lot of time in court will tell you that a professional presentation does wonders. You put some fella in front of a judge where every other word or phrase is "Yo," or "You know what I'm sayin," and he'll will loose everytime.

You refer to them as "a couple of 20 years olds." If you don't act like the stereotypical "20 year old" and sound like an adult in your defense, the judge will listen (most of the time). And again I was aiming towards having the citation dropped to careless, not dropped completely. That is all the "professional" Lawyer would be out to do.

As I stated before, READ THE STATUTE for Reckless. If the scenario explained is accurate, the charge is not satisfied.

There is no sure-fire way to "beat" a ticket, and my suggestion is def. no exception. I can tell you for sure that fighting a ticket is not rocket science, and Lawyer is not going to get anything for you that you couldn't get for yourself with just a little effort.

SVT_driv3r

Established Member
Editted by Moderator for Content.

Please follow the guidelines of this forum and dont flame officers here. It is disrespectful to the officers that come to this forum intent on answering legitimate questions.

This is your last warning, follow the guidelines they are posted at the top of the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Maverick Hunter said:
editted by moderator

For some reason, after reading the above statement I'm beginning to believe the officer's version of the story.

Not trying to flame you, however if two different officers on two different traffic stops refer to you as an idiot, perhaps you need to re-think your approach. I mean, let's face it, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.................

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread