Wrecked the Cobra Friday

trueblueeyes

Established Member
Late Friday evening, I had to make a stop at our local Wal-Mart to pick up a prescription from the pharmacy. I pulled into a lane and drove toward the front of the store and got t-boned by a woman in a Caravan cutting across the parking lot instead of following a lane to exit. Pretty hard impact for a parking lot accident. I haven't had a chance to get an estimate so I don't have a figure but it will quite costly since it severely damaged my driver's side rear quarter panel and door. I even have some minor damage to the rim itself. Anyone have an idea what a repair like this will cost? I meet with her insurance adjuster Tuesday so I don't know what they will say yet. It makes me sick every time I look at the car. I had just turned into the lane and was disengaging the clutch so I know I couldn't have been going over 5mph. She claims she was slowly rolling forward. I know that is BS because of both the damage and how hard she hit me. Any guesses from the pics below as to her speed? Wish me luck. What a start to Memorial Day Weekend! :(

Melissa

Last edited:

trueblueeyes

Established Member
0000495pg8qa.jpg

white98snake

Established Member
Well first things first
Get the car to a shop that u trust and makes sure the manager meets with the adjuster, those guys will screw u anyway they can,
That is not an easy fix as replacing the quater panal is a miserable job, the only way u will get it done for cheap is if u hit the local junk yards and get the parts used. my guess will be if u use new parts ur lookin at about 4k to fix that car.

good luck man,

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
Sorry to hear about it man, but I would say its going to be around 3500 as long as the rear end itself is ok, or only minor things. Ill give you an example, one night, ice, and lamp post.. I ended out looking like this:
640129_121_full.jpg

$6500 damage, and you look a hell of a lot better then that

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
oh and in my case they got a whole new rear 1/4 panel and put it in, cut out the damaged one, welded the new one in

JasonSnake

Established Member
this sucks, dude. Take it to a well-known shop. When my rio red 95 GT was stolen and recovered, it cost 7k to get it repaired at a Ford dealershop.. Let me tell you, the car came out looking like it rolled out of the showroom floor. They did an awesome job. But it was only a tick from getting totalled. I feel your pain.

LILBLKSNAKE

Village Idiot
Established Member
Get the car to a shop that u trust and makes sure the manager meets with the adjuster, those guys will screw u anyway they can,

I happen to be an apprairer and I don't TRY TO SCREW anyone. I pay for exactly what is realted to the accident and unfortunatley some people expect an entire restoration for a minor accident.

9cobrastang7

Gogo Green Machine
Established Member
Ah the pac green :xpl: I hate the even think about my car getting hit. I'm so sorry that happened get her fixed asap :)

SVTCobra3212

Banned
white98snake said:
Well first things first
That is not an easy fix as replacing the quater panal is a miserable job, the only way u will get it done for cheap is if u hit the local junk yards and get the parts used. my guess will be if u use new parts ur lookin at about 4k to fix that car.

good luck man,
+1 Make sure you get a shop to look at it. Hopefully you called the police when this happened and they came out and you made a report. Goodluck!!

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
At least there won't be any frame damage. That's a very repairable fender bender. New fender and maybe a door, I'd say about $2500.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
I had essentially the same accident, nearly identical damage, and received quotes anywhere from $1600.00 using the original panels all the way to $4300.00 using new parts. If it's just those two panels...go to Car-Part.com and locate the parts. I bet there are dozens of PG body panels within 100 miles. Door will be easy to swap and align...that rear corner panel is a ball buster. It's the only part on a Mustang that won't rattle...it's spot welded in 16 places to secure it on. Other than blending the paint down the whole side...you could fix that for about 1000.00 dollars.

trueblueeyes

Established Member
SVTCobra3212 said:
+1 Make sure you get a shop to look at it. Hopefully you called the police when this happened and they came out and you made a report. Goodluck!!

I did call the police, but they wouldn't do an accident report since it was on private property. They just took our statements and had us exchange information. I called both my insurance company (State Auto) and hers (Farm Bureau) as soon as I got home on Friday. I see her adjuster on Tuesday and to be honest I am just glad she had insurance. Anybody can make a mistake, so I am not looking to cash in. I just want the car fixed.
-------------
Thanks for everyone's replies. I could do most mechanical work blindfolded, but I know next to nothing about body work and there was a small part of me that was afraid they would total the car. Seems like that won't happen now...at least I hope not. I'll just be glad when this is over. I get queasy every time I look at the car now. This is also going to kill me in gas prices. I have a pretty long trip to and from work and the gas mileage in the '03 L will hit a lot harder (not so much from the highway part of the trip but from the last twenty miles of stop-and-go traffic). Ah well, I shouldn't complain. At least no one was hurt. :)

Melissa (not a dude..but still appreciative of the support! :rockon: ...Keep the advice and thoughts coming since I've never dealt with an insurance company before. Thanks!)

Users who are viewing this thread