wrecked my clutch at the track

GRUSE

Established Member
At the track and while shifting into 3rd from 2nd slammed back into 1st at WOT.Lost all pedal, when i push it all the way down nothing .Tranny is out pieces of the clutch disk separated.Replacing the clutch,TOB,pilot bearing getting flywheel resurfaced, any suggestions other thing I may have destroyed.

Boston_Comic

Established Member
Also just had a catastrophic failure. The sleeve the TOB rides on split from the transmission case. The pivot ball and clutch fork were junk, also. Make sure your TBO sleeve is smooth and not split at all where it presses in from behind. I have Mac long tubes and I did this job on my back sans air tools. I so don't want to do it again. I changed the tranny fluid by draining from below and added into the shifter area before I reinstalled my Tri-AXX. Just an idea: before hooking up the clutch cable, measure how far the fork is when you slide it up almost to the TOB. I made my adjustments using my Steeda Quadrant and FW adjuster, and it cane out perfect. There was an inch plus difference so I ended up using the middle hook on my aluminum quadrant, Not and easy task when you're alone.

GRUSE

Established Member
bingo. How high did it rev before you caught it?

It happened so fast 7000 + rpm for about a 10th of a second popped it into neutral and coasted to the pits, on crappy street tires so it didn't grip it slid.Drove it home in 3rd/ 4th around 25 miles,the traffic lights were on my side (23 0f 25 were green) . No codes car accelerated fine oil pressure and temp gauge remained normal no knocking. I will do comp test immediately after I put the T45 back in.

Zemedici

Established Member
It happened so fast 7000 + rpm for about a 10th of a second popped it into neutral and coasted to the pits, on crappy street tires so it didn't grip it slid.Drove it home in 3rd/ 4th around 25 miles,the traffic lights were on my side (23 0f 25 were green) . No codes car accelerated fine oil pressure and temp gauge remained normal no knocking. I will do comp test immediately after I put the T45 back in.

Yes I would do a compression check to make sure all cylinders are ok, but 7000 you SHOULD be alright, someone did that same thing here recently, and it revved 8k plus, lost 1 or 2 cylinders.

Users who are viewing this thread