Wrecked my car today

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
Well I had my first accident ever and I am 43 years old. It was wet out and I was getting on the highway shifting into the left lane I gave it a little gas and zing I went spinning. Slid into the center divider (concrete) and spun around and whacked the rear and came to a stop. I hit no one and no one hit me and I did not get hurt at all. So very good news as far as accidents go. I just put on new rear tires and they had a hundred miles on them but I wonder if this did not help my situation.

Anyway now I am not sure if I hope they can fix it or should I hope they total it. The body guy where I had it towed said it looked 50/50. I love my freaking car so much I can’t believe it happened. So I guess if they can fix it I’ll have it back in a few weeks and if they can’t my local dealer just got in a DSG coupe. Anyway be careful out there you never know what might happen next……..Steve

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by needspeed
Well I had my first accident ever and I am 43 years old. It was wet out and I was getting on the highway shifting into the left lane I gave it a little gas and zing I went spinning. Slid into the center divider (concrete) and spun around and whacked the rear and came to a stop. I hit no one and no one hit me and I did not get hurt at all. So very good news as far as accidents go. I just put on new rear tires and they had a hundred miles on them but I wonder if this did not help my situation.

Anyway now I am not sure if I hope they can fix it or should I hope they total it. The body guy where I had it towed said it looked 50/50. I love my freaking car so much I can’t believe it happened. So I guess if they can fix it I’ll have it back in a few weeks and if they can’t my local dealer just got in a DSG coupe. Anyway be careful out there you never know what might happen next……..Steve

Wow Steve, I'm sorry to hear that you wrecked the car. However, I'm glad to hear that no one was hurt.

On a side note, the tires weren't drag radials were they?

MJ

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
Re: Re: Wrecked my car today

Originally posted by mjchip
Wow Steve, I'm sorry to hear that you wrecked the car. However, I'm glad to hear that no one was hurt.

On a side note, the tires weren't drag radials were they?

MJ

No I put on Firestone SZ 50 EPs I thought that these were very good wet weather tires.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
I have been in one of those 50/50 accidents before. After a light shower, surface oil becomes a menace as it is not 'washed' away. Going around an onramp bend, tapped the accelerator in 2nd. Rear end came around, counter steer was too late. At 180, saw the headlights of a tractor trailer coming at me full bore. Completed a full 360 before slamming into the rear wheel of above said tractor trailer. No scratches, no bruises, just stunned.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Wrecked my car today

Originally posted by needspeed
No I put on Firestone SZ 50 EPs I thought that these were very good wet weather tires.

At least you’re alright and nobody was hurt that is the most important. I don't know about the SZ50's I had them on my 95 Cobra and didn't like them especially in wet. Straight seemed fine, but in turns they really seemed to get lose and slip out which sounds like what happened to you.

Dem03SonicSnake

Established Member
i know that feeling, driving my 94 gt back a few years ago, stepped on it slightly in the rain, i know the cobras handling is night and day compared to that, but all i know is that i went spinning into the divider , smashing the entire back of the car, nobody hurt, nobody involved, but a guy stopped and what he said is very true, your car is replaceable and can be fixed, your life can not! glad to hear your not hurt, thats one reason i dont wanna drive my cobra in the rain!!

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
Thanks everyone for your support. I admit I needed a little simpathy. This stupid car is so much fun to drive I get depressed driving a normal car. So the rental company gave me a Neon to drive and my beater is a 96 Grand Am SE. I don't know which is worse. :->

I agree that not hurting anyone or getting hurt myself is an amazing blessing. I am sure there is a lesson in all this since when it is dry out I drive fast and I can't imagine what could have happened at speed. It is no fun growing up...............

Last edited:

lethal

Established Member
These are the type of accidents I don't mind hearing about. While it SUCKS, at least your OK and nobody else was hurt.

I hope you have either your snake back or a new snake asap.

Best of luck, keep us informed!

f4sfed

Established Member
Thank God you're okay, and no one was hurt...........but, a neon?!?!?! Yuck! Is work close enough to walk instead? :shrug:

randy

Established Member
i worked at a body shop for awhile....believe me when i say it is in your best interest to push HARD for a new car...if a wrecker operator says 50/50 then it was pretty bad..the body shop might bid low to keep it out of TOTAL, but then "supplement" the rest, just so they get the job..be very careful..i would not want it back...

Last edited:

ArkangelX3

Established Member
I did, the exact same thing. I gave my 2000 GT a little bit of gas, and out came the tires. I lost control. Unfortunatly, i did hit someone, and i was the only injury. Broken pinky. It lead me down the path to get my 03 Cobra, maybe the same thing will happen to you. good luck!

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
I feel for you man. I would be heartbroken. At least no one was hurt. I have not had the Cobra "bite" me yet, but it can't be any worse in the rain than my Z28 (almost undrivable). I would push for a new one, you'll be happier in the long run. Good luck.

ltv1

Established Member
Glad you are not hurt, I see that a lot.

Where I live there are a lot of people with 73 Plymouth Fury's and other hoopties (not making fun of them, just a poor town.) Seeing what looks like a drained crankcase at a light is not unusual.

As stated in a previous post, when that crap is lifted up it is worse than ice. I spun a GT with 4.10's, but never the Snake. I finally broke down and bought tires for my Ranger when the thing would almost spin around in the same spot!

The closest I came was taking a tight off ramp at my usual speed (little fast). GD moron that I am I forgot to re-inflate my rear tires from ~20 psig after playing. It squealed and inched over but I made it thru.

The body shop post is accurate. Unless they are friends I wouldn't trust them as far as I could spit a cannon ball. They did kinda what he described to my Dad once, using chop-shop parts of course. It *never* handled right again.

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
I'm really sorry to hear about that Steve... as others have said, at least you're ok... I hope everything goes ok with the car.

someone said something about TC being off... I bet it was... I learned really quickly that this car will spin the back end if you're not careful... I've done it a couple times - on cold, dry pavement! On wet pavement this thing will fishtail in a heartbeat if you're not careful.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
I posted a while back about having a 180 after a tankslapper a week ago. I didn't hit anything but it did scare me to death when all I saw was headlights all of a sudden.

Looks like these cars really *are* monsters...they oversteer really easily at the slightest provocation...but that's kind of whay we bought them, so we could do that kind of stuff.

Glad to hear you are OK, there's some great advice inthe middle of the thread about body shops...let us know how you come out.

Users who are viewing this thread