Wrecked my car but doesnt want to fix it

SVTcobra2

Established Member
I was sitting at McDonalds about 4 weeks ago getting food before going on vacation. Well, while waiting i got rear ended in line. There wasnt much damage, so i got the guys business card with his # and address. I spoke to him throughout the weeks, but we were both busy and he seemed honest. He has been ignoring my calls for the past week now and i want my bumper fixed. The damage is hardly noticeable, but either way it wasn't there before. It will cost at least $500 to fix properly also.

Is there anything i can do legally if he does try to not pay? I didn't get his insurance info at the the time because i was in a rush and it isn't much damage. I would be replacing the bumper eventually anyways, but he needs to pay for what he did.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Doesn't help now but I never ever let anyone off easy on an accident anymore. Called the cops on the last lady who tapped my bumper and they ended up taking the pillhead to the pokie.

Sorry to say but I believe it's now his word against yours.

Common

Established Member
If you had his policy number it would have been as good as a police report.

NEVER ever let someone talk you into this again, ALWAYS call police if possible, if not, get their insurance card and write down their policy number.

When you have their number, they really dont have much room to squirm around and not pay.

Good luck.

SVTcobra2

Established Member
the only reason i left is the damage is so minimal that most will not notice. i was already late for a 6hr drive. i would have not done it otherwise. he didn't really talk me into it, i was like well there obviously isn't severe damage and he offered his card saying he would pay. i have talked to him on at least 5-10 occasions since, but now he hasn't answered in about 5days.

i could live without it being fixed, but i would rather my 1 year old car to be like new.

rar1955

Established Member
insurance

I was sitting at McDonalds about 4 weeks ago getting food before going on vacation. Well, while waiting i got rear ended in line. There wasnt much damage, so i got the guys business card with his # and address. I spoke to him throughout the weeks, but we were both busy and he seemed honest. He has been ignoring my calls for the past week now and i want my bumper fixed. The damage is hardly noticeable, but either way it wasn't there before. It will cost at least $500 to fix properly also.

Is there anything i can do legally if he does try to not pay? I didn't get his insurance info at the the time because i was in a rush and it isn't much damage. I would be replacing the bumper eventually anyways, but he needs to pay for what he did.

That happened to my son. I found out the other persons insurance company and called them they paid to have it fixed. I called the tag office to find out his insurance company.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
Not sure if it's the same in all states, but I know from experience the law in Indiana is if the damage is around $200 or more, there needs to be an accident report filed.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Always call the cops...always...I know many friends who have gotten' shafted...

LS2GTO

Established Member
Yeah the only way to get ANY money out of him is if you can find the footage from the McDondald's security cam (if it was even caught on that). Otherwise there's no way in hell that you're going to see a dime from him. If there wasn't a police report filed, then no matter what you say you can't prove that he was the one that hit you. Even if you did get his insurance info, w.o actual proof of the event you have no case. He can just say I wasn't even in the state on so and so date, or you must have found his insurance policy while rummaging thru his trash.

Sorry to say but you're SOL on this one. Best bet would be to go to the place and see if they can show you the footage of that day.

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
already late for a 6hr drive and you had "time" to stop for McDonalds?

:bowdown: savage

Any accident warrants the police being called. It doesn't matter how minimal the damage is. Peace of mind in my opinion.

JMoraru

Established Member
im located near lawrenceville suwanee in the collins hill area. we have a couple of nice mustangs around if you ever want to meet up.

IF i dont end up getting it fixed it wouldnt be a huge deal since it isnt very visble( scratch on the crease, screw imprint, and a dent and scratch next to the license plate). I also have the number to his employer on his card so i think i may give them a call if he tries to get out of it.

there is a chance he is just very busy because i know he travels a lot for work. either way, this better be resolved soon.

and what i ment by late for the drive is i was supposed to get off work at midnight, but was there until 1am. i was hungry!

Last edited:

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Around me the police are instructed not to show unless an injury is reported. INS# is key though.

Users who are viewing this thread