Wrecked Cobra last night, need good body shop

MS KWIK

Established Member
Can anyone recommend a good body shop in the South Bay/LA area? I rear-ended an SUV last night (my first at-fault accident ever in 25 years of driving) and it looks like I will need a new hood, two headlights, and bumper. I was going about 10mph or so, slowing down for a red light, no airbag went off, so hopefully the damage is just cosmetic and no frame damage? I think my car went underneath her bumper. The hood won't close and both headlights popped out, but are still attached :( I am so upset about this I can't even sleep. The good news is there was zero damage to the SUV, she didn't even want my insurance info. I just want this car repaired perfectly (it's a 2004 silver Cobra), it's my baby.

I just had Arthroscopic surgery on my right knee on Friday, Dr. said it was OK to drive after 24 hours, but I have since discovered I don't have very much strength in my knee (especially to hit the brake hard) so I guess I better take some more time off work to let this heal. This just really really sucks :(

Shelley

GTBrad

Mobile Detailing Poster
Established Member
I've had good experiences with Golden Auto Body in Santa Monica

2222 S Centinela Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90064

(310) 207-4003

Is the hood broken?

Last edited:

Bignasty

Established Member
Golden Auto Body, they work on high end cars but their not cheap. I had a minor fender-bender and they fixed my cobra and you can't tell it had dent or any damage at all!
They did a perfect job. There are located in West Los Angeles.

MS KWIK

Established Member
Sounds like this is a good place. The hood has a huge crack in the front, and will not close all the way. I'm sure I will need a new hood. My insurance deductible with State Farm is $500, so I don't care how much it cost, I just want it done right and where no one can tell there was any damage done. That's not too far from my Mom's office either, so I can just drop the car off then take her to work in my truck. Thanks, I'll go see them on Monday!

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
dude, use the opportunity to get a custom hood and HID headlights! if you need a new radiator and heat exchanger, there you go, upgrade those too!

MS KWIK

Established Member
I should definitely receive a new hood, correct? It's cracked in several places and won't shut (probably because the bumper is smashed to hell). I don't think this hood can be repaired. I pay $136/month to friggin State Farm (the rate jumped over $40/month when it became my daily driver), I want this car fixed RIGHT. I just had a really bad experience before with State Farm, when I had an '01 black Corvette Z06 that someone egged. There was egg spattered on practially every body panel, and the adjuster didn't want to repaint the entire car, just paint the body panels that were affected! All this for a $52K car. I was so disgusted I traded the car in shortly afterwards and took a $10K loss. I also had a special Cobra grill emblem on the car that broke in half, you can still see the other half hanging on there, and it's possible I might still have the receipt in my files. I printed out a sheet from California Mustang, showing $39.95 for a replacement. I want that paid for as well! I've been paying $1,600/year on this car for 3.5 years and never had an accident, I want this car put back together exactly the way I had it. Sorry for the ranting and raving, I'm just very upset and I think this adjuster is going to try and screw with me. Any suggestions?

Oh, I checked the radiator, there doesn't appear to be any damage. The bumper absorbed all the shock. I think the fenders are OK as well, I was just worried about frame damage. The front airbag did not go off, so I must have not hit her that hard (sure felt like it, my the soreness of my back and knee). What is the mph when the airbag usually goes off?

Oh, I have an appt. with Golden Auto Body on Wednesday at 8am, before the State Farm adjuster gets there. I just want them to know all the parts I want replaced and not to take any $@!* from the adjuster.

Thanks,

Shelley

Last edited:

GTBrad

Mobile Detailing Poster
Established Member
Great!

You want to come off as a perfectionist to the adjuster, point out everything and demand it be taken care of. You can even let the person know about your previous experience with their agency.

Also ask them to buff out the rest of the car to match the fresh paint on the front end. You may want them to steam clean the engine as well, they tend to get very dusty in a body shop environment.

If they don't do the buff and steam clean, give me a call if you'd like me to do it.

-Brad

Last edited:

HOLLYWDHOMICIDE

Deadly Fast
Established Member
See if the body shop will paint all the parts off of the car. This will help with any overspray issues you may have come up. Some places will do this for you. Good luck and glad you were not hurt in the accident.

Users who are viewing this thread