wow...2003 GT > Mach 1?

70tego

Electric Green Rocks
Established Member
01 cams have different duration and are better suited for upper rpm/hp. The 03/04 cams are better designed for low - mid range TQ. Yes you can use them in your cobra. It's just a matter of if it's worth the $$. Teksid are 'traditionally' stronger blocks that WAP's. Some would disagree.

There is a thread below that list the difference between machs and 99/01 cobra's.

And no, the 99-01 cobra's dyno a tad less....however, it's fairly minimal. The difference is mostly in the low end TQ vs. the upper HP of the cobra. THe machs heads flow better, different intake, better gears and solid axle.
EDIT: here.... http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537174

Thanks for thread link, I checked that out and found an answer to yet another question I had about 01 cobras; Friend of mine has a stock w/18k miles for sale, It has a Teksid, and I wasn't sure if it was a replacement motor.
Actually, DID that thread really address that question about end of Teksid, beginning of Wap...O.K. I'm still unsure. Oh well.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
actually hes not to far off sorry to break the news to u, I kno a guy with a 98 cobra with just intake exaust and tune and he put down 311rwhp

SOrry Jeff. I dont' believe it. NO WAY does a Intake/exhaust/tune put down 311rwhp SAE. MAYBE, if they were STD numbers and with a complete FULL exhaust. But STD isn't 'true' either.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Thanks for thread link, I checked that out and found an answer to yet another question I had about 01 cobras; Friend of mine has a stock w/18k miles for sale, It has a Teksid, and I wasn't sure if it was a replacement motor.
Actually, DID that thread really address that question about end of Teksid, beginning of Wap...O.K. I'm still unsure. Oh well.

01 Cobra's had Teksids...as far as I know.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
actually hes not to far off sorry to break the news to u, I kno a guy with a 98 cobra with just intake exaust and tune and he put down 311rwhp

No you don't, your friend may make 311 rwhp but he has more than intake (guessing aftermarket air inlet?), exhaust and tune.

Unless that was on a Dyno Dynamics dyno, or uncorrected numbers on a 40 degree day.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
no I dont agree. My 01 with mac off road H and mac catback made 311rwhp 305rwtq those were the only mods. I have yet to see a mach 1 make those kind of #s. Most in the 280s

I would like to see the graph. Can you post it?

01s made 290s stock.

I dont think the mach 1 heads flow better either.. the heads and cam setup just makes more low end power.. the 01 cobra was more upper rpm minded and makes more there. both heads flow good just difference goals.

Mach 1 heads flow slightly better on the intake, much better on the exhaust. The 03+ heads have an intake port shape a bit similar to the FR500s, provides slightly better flow and better velocity than the 99/01 heads.

And from what I've seen Machs will usually dyno 5-10 rwhp better than a 99/01 Cobra on average.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member

Mach 1 heads flow slightly better on the intake, much better on the exhaust. The 03+ heads have an intake port shape a bit similar to the FR500s, provides slightly better flow and better velocity than the 99/01 heads.

And from what I've seen Machs will usually dyno 5-10 rwhp better than a 99/01 Cobra on average.

Thank you Ben.......

And here is a current link about 99-01 CObra's. MOST guys with CAI, midpipe, cb, XX mod (alum flywheel/DS/SRA or something else) and tune are 300rwhp.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536739&highlight=dyno

again...BS on the 290RWHP stock and 310+ with simple mods.

As I stated....Cobra's will have a better upper rpm HP band because of the intake cams, but machs will have a better low mid range TQ. Peak numbers are slightly in the mach's favor, especially on the TQ side where mach's dyno higher TQ than HP, unlike Cobra's.

Last edited:

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
SOrry Jeff. I dont' believe it. NO WAY does a Intake/exhaust/tune put down 311rwhp SAE. MAYBE, if they were STD numbers and with a complete FULL exhaust. But STD isn't 'true' either.

On a 98, I seriously doubt 311 at all with those mods. That's more comparable to what a 99/01 would do, and they usually dyno a solid 15-20 rwhp more than he 96-98 stock for stock or mod for mod.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Only up until mid 2001, the latter half of the production year used the WAP Block.
Thanks for the correction. I re-read that thread link and mid year is what was stated.
Hmm..did a quick search...looks like the teksid/WAP issue is all over the map...at least according to this thread.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192162&page=2

On a 98, I seriously doubt 311 at all with those mods. That's more comparable to what a 99/01 would do, and they usually dyno a solid 15-20 rwhp more than he 96-98 stock for stock or mod for mod.
Oh I agree...which is why I 'all capped' the 'maybe' and with STD rating, which could be up to 10Rwhp pending correction factor.

Last edited:

zlocke17

Established Member
ive heard a guy who drives a 01 or 02 gt saying he puts 350 to the wheels with no mods other than intake and exhaust. which im pretty sure is just a fartcan. nothing against a gt but dude they do not respond like a 4v to bolt-ons. but ill admit built up they are sick.

EVO-lution

Established Member
i coulda sworn the Teksid's stopped in 99:shrug:...o well, who cares that just means more better blocks out there to buy lol.

And I dont see how 2v motors can make such good numbers on exhaust and intake and run low 13's. if thats the case why didnt they just make the termi a 2V or the mach 1? i just don't get it how people get the numbers. dyno sheets or don't talk IMO.

o and BTW im not lashing out on anyone. i just want a little proof to base judgement on.

WizardsCobra

LTHL SVT
Established Member
I had an 02 GT and it was a freaking dog. I had a ton of bolt ons but gears were the only mod I liked on it. Now my 03 Cobra it loved every single mod.

CraZeeSTanG

Established Member
whatever you say guy... my car was dyno'd on a dynojet at mustang magic.
Ive seen thousands of stangs dyno mach 1s cobras whatever. I dont have bias towards any of them.. Im a shop rat and just have SEEN everything.

your problem is... your education is based on the internet, and what you read on stang net.

yes my 01 cobra completely stock with just a mac off road H, mac catback and the air silencer removed (stock paper filter) made 311rwhp on the 3rd pull. First one was 297, then 305 and then that 311 # then another pull and it was 307rwhp. tq was above 300 to the tire as well on every pull.

believe what you want, I tried. I been in the game way to long...

Last edited:

CraZeeSTanG

Established Member

it was years back.. I dont have the sheet but I am sure the shop computer does. Give me some time and I can try to get it up for you... Alot of big names were there that day that can vouch for me. It was a dyno day sometime in early 03
one credible source being Jimmy Vaccaro.

yes it is a high # but it is the record for the shop for a near stock pre 01 4v

you can email.. www.mustangmagic.com and they will email you my dynosheet.

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
whatever you say guy... my car was dyno'd on a dynojet at mustang magic.
Ive seen thousands of stangs dyno mach 1s cobras whatever. I dont have bias towards any of them.. Im a shop rat and just have SEEN everything.

your problem is... your education is based on the internet, and what you read on stang net.

yes my 01 cobra completely stock with just a mac off road H, mac catback and the air silencer removed (stock paper filter) made 311rwhp on the 3rd pull. First one was 297, then 305 and then that 311 # then another pull and it was 307rwhp. tq was above 300 to the tire as well on every pull.

believe what you want, I tried. I been in the game way to long...
Yep....You're correct. :rollseyes Nice assumption there big guy. If you'd have bothered to even READ my sig, you'd know better than that.

it was years back.. I dont have the sheet but I am sure the shop computer does. Give me some time and I can try to get it up for you... Alot of big names were there that day that can vouch for me. It was a dyno day sometime in early 03
one credible source being Jimmy Vaccaro.

yes it is a high # but it is the record for the shop for a near stock pre 01 4v

you can email.. www.mustangmagic.com and they will email you my dynosheet.
WOW...no sheet. There's a shocker. :nonono:

Ok....first, let me say that inconsistancies are never good when trying to claim outside the norm. It makes you look stupid. Having said that.....first you come in and say 300+with bolt ons is normal and cobra's dyno more than machs, now you're saying you set the record for light bolt on at 311. SO which is it..normal or not. THe other inconsistancy, you have an 01, then you say you set the record for 'pre 01 4V'. Please make up your mind.

Also, you have yet to prove A) those were your only mods and B) those were SAE numbers and on 'what' correction factory?

(psst...I'm not even a member of stangnet :lol: )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread