Would you Trust this? DD issues.

homer302

Banned
So the short version is the piece pictured below separated from the driveshaft. It was bonded rubber. Ford wants $777 for a new driveshaft. I could buy used but I already have a used one if you get my drift. This is a2002 2WD 4cl 5 speed with pretty low miles.

I called around some driveshaft shops. They don't have a way to reattach it but they will balance what is left for $30. They seem to think that a balanced driveshaft is a balanced driveshaft and knowbody has any idea what the piece could be for. The truck drives fine without it. I have had it on the interstate and it doesn't vibrate at all. It actually revs more quickly, like I put pulleys on it or something. LOL. Am I hurting it to drive it until I figure something out?

Let's be serious though. Ford could have saved .20 for every Ranger they sell if they did not include that so don't tell me it doesn't do anything. If you multiply .20 times all the Rangers sold that would add up to a lot. The piece weighs 5 lbs.
If it matters. The truck is all stock, not lowered. Stock wheels OEM clutch etc.
IMG_2152.gif

IMG_2155.gif

IMG_2149.gif

Last edited:

jrc347

Established Member
That piece is for damping harmonic vibrations caused by the ring and pinion. It serves basically the same purpose as the crankashft harmonic damper on the crank pulley. Is it totally needed? No. You may feel more driveline vibrations that travel up through the driveshaft. If it was my truck, I would'nt even worry about it.

portcity_gt

Established Member
That piece is for damping harmonic vibrations caused by the ring and pinion. It serves basically the same purpose as the crankashft harmonic damper on the crank pulley. Is it totally needed? No. You may feel more driveline vibrations that travel up through the driveshaft. If it was my truck, I would'nt even worry about it.

yea what he said. but i dont know if that thing is a zero balance unit or not, take the drive shaft to one of those shops and have it balanced just to be safe so u dont wear out the tail shaft on the trans.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
jrc347 & portcity gt are correct: it is a harmonic balancer.

In-line four cylinder engines have some inherent vibration problems that can only be solved by external balancing. In other words there is no way to balance the engine and remove all vibration by counter-weighting the crank. This same problem gives them a host of harmonic vibration issues as well. So you see in-line fours with external balance shafts, additional harmonic dampeners, etc.

But the engine is not the only place that vibration can do harm. Where ever two different pieces of metal meet up, vibration can do damage. Including the teeth of the gears in the transmission, the bearings in the universal joints, and the geer teeth on the ring and pinion. And any bearings associated with those components.

The entire drivetrain, all the pistons, rods, crank, clutch, transmission, dirveshaft, ring & pinion are like one giant tuning fork. Vibration in any one part can affect them all to a greater or lesser degree. Likewise, adding a dampener to any one part can relieve stress on the entire assembly.

In your particular case, OP, that dampener may be what allows the u-joints on the drive shaft to live a long, trouble-free life, at the least. At the worst, it may be what allows the ring and pinion to go the distance, or the transmission.

So you have definitely got something to consider here: By not replacing it, you run the risk of drastically shortening the life of the engine, transmission and ring and pinion gear. Or you may get lucky and it will have no appreciable effect on them at all.

Your initial assessment is correct: Ford did not put it on there for nothing. Vibration is one of the most difficult things to predict, control and manage. The vibrations this dampener is made to mitigate may not be anything you are aware of, you may not be able to hear or feel them, and they can still tear parts up.

Or you might get lucky. I keep saying that because sometimes people do get lucky on these things and save themselves considerable money.

If it was me, and it was my money and vehicle on the line, I would replace it. The type of vibration it damps out causes parts to work well right up until the moment they fail completely. The fact that this one let go indicates to me that it is being stressed, it is soaking up and managing the vibrations it was meant to.

Good luck.

Jim Snover

Last edited:

homer302

Banned
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I will try to find a fairly new used one and replace it ASAP.
The funny thing is; I drove it today to get a Christmas tree and I honestly believe it is smoother now than it was before it failed. Not when new maybe but I think it has been wobbling for a while because it is more balanced now than Tuesday before it failed. The whole driveline is just plain smooth now. I bet it has been slowly tearing apart for some time.

I will get it replaced.

homer302

Banned
Not that anyone cares LOL but I am hanging out in the garage watching Carolina actually hang with the Pats and messing around on SVTP. I did find a dealer who was willing to cut me a break and sell me one for $581 but I paid cash for the truck and walked away. $581 is a good percentage of what I bought the whole truck for 4 years ago.
So anyway that also has an interesting story. I showed up at the yard at exactly 5:30 and that is when they close. It was raining sideways. The guy at the counter told me I would have to come back tomorrow. I fought rush hour Charlotte traffic in a downpour to get there so I was kinda pissed cause he already told me the shaft was out of the truck. He said, I will make the same deal with you I make with everyone who shows up at closing time. We'll flip a coin and you can either pay 50% more or 50% less than I quoted you or you can come back tomorrow. He had quoted $50 so I said what the hell.

I WON.........:rolling: :rockon: :D: :rolling: :rockon:

$25 out the door...:burnout:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread