would it NEED a tune after...

MX207

Established Member
i have an '03 with CAI/stock MAF and no other engine mods but it does have an SCT tune for this setup done by previous owner. car has 52k, im about to buy a SBTB/C&L intake/95mm MAF - would the "need" a tune to prevent a wandering idle or any other problems or would it be ok to bolt on and go? tryin to hold off on dyno time and tune until i install pulleys/exhaust

thanks

swordjr24

WNALOSE
Established Member
It'd be best to get a tune. Tunes are around $100 and you'll get better use of the mods. And I'm pretty sure you'll have to with the 95mm MAF, but don't hold me to it.

Dusten

Established Member
i only know of 1 tuner who tunes that cheap, and he's an asshole.
The C&L 95mm isn't worth the money, and will require a tune. many have reported a lean issue. As your power level, the SBTB is a waste too. If you want a good safe gain in power, call amazon tuning(vendor here) and order up a lower pulley and a tune from rick.

Robert Francis

Established Member
The 95mm MAF is not "plug-and-play" and will need to be tuned for. And as suggested above, the best advice will come from some established tuner for Lightnings, such as Amazon, JDM, etc.

Also, it's not likley you'll get any quality dyno tunes for $100 today. Ten years ago you could often get dyno tune from a reputable shop for maybe $125, but not any more.

Dusten

Established Member
JJ @ WMS does email tunes for 100 or 150 and amazon does them for $185(if you have a tuner). That said, im not a fan of JJ's attitude.

MX207

Established Member
can the stock MAF be installed between a C&L plenum and K&N filter? and what would happen with running the 95mm MAF on the current tune besides a potentially rough idle?

ive never had a email tune donw before , what does the process of that entail

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
Yup, thats what they were designed around :) Leave the stock MAF on there until you get the tune ready..It will probably run rough with a 95mm and no tune...
E-mail tune's are easy peezy. Do you currently have a handheld tuner? If not, you can buy one from the tuner and it will come pre-loaded with a customer tune tailored to your truck.
If you have a tuner device already, you provide them your mods, they write a tune and e-mail it to you, you load it into the tuner and into the truck.
All you need is a power cable and serial cable.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Get a 6# lower pulley, TR6's and a properly done custom tune along with a Mafia or an SCT Maf (whichever the tuner you choose to use prefers).

Have you read the FAQ page yet? :beer:

swordjr24

WNALOSE
Established Member
VMP does them for under 100 & so does Dynospeed out of Memphis. Both I trust very much with my vehicles.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
What we offer for $185 is a custom tuning service. It consists of free revisons for as long as you own the vehicle no matter what you add,unlimited support and easy access to Rick. it is not just a tune you are getting it is a long term relationship with your tuner.
Rick is one of the only tuners who has been tuning Gen 2s since 1999. He has many years of tuning expereince and knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread