Would adding a fan to my IC make a big enough difference to make it worth doing?

dwtjr3

Established Member
Just wondering if i attached a fan to the back of my IC or the front of my radiator to try and pull more air through if it would do anything?

I have a CX racing IC for now but and planning on getting a treadstone IC in the near future so I was looking at doing something with a fan to add onto my Treadstone IC.

Or any other advice for making my IAT's cooler, Im also looking into meth injection as well as the fan.

Or would a fan just be a waste of money?

JP_Stang

Established Member
I'm gonna say that the fan may be a waste. When your on it and creating all the heat, your gonna have pretty strong winds running across that innercooler. If you think about it, even if you only ran the car to 60 mph, that's at least 60 mph winds going thru it if you aren't driving into the wind. Meth is definetly something to consider tho.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
high iat's are a result of too small of an IC or improper air dam positioning. pick one and fix it. my iat's after 5 pulls of 23 psi sitting on the dyno on a july day was 114*. that's about as good as it can get imo.

KlugSS

Established Member
Air to air really can only cool down to ambient temp. You would have to have a serious fan behind it to cool lower then ambient.

02blownGT

Established Member
Is your bypass valve pre intercooler?If its plumbed after the IC just moving it to before the IC can help with heatsoak.If its already done that way only thing you can do to help iats is N20,meth or a better IC.

dwtjr3

Established Member
Is your bypass valve pre intercooler?If its plumbed after the IC just moving it to before the IC can help with heatsoak.If its already done that way only thing you can do to help iats is N20,meth or a better IC.

Yes it is pre IC.

And ok I may just go with some meth down the road, My IAC's are no issue just want to make them as low as possible when I go with my new setup.

New setup will include a treadstone IC

Last edited:

dwtjr3

Established Member
And this is a street toy, so air to water is not the best thing for what the car is used for?

02blownGT

Established Member
Yes it is pre IC.

And ok I may just go with some meth down the road, My IAC's are no issue just want to make them as low as possible when I go with my new setup.

New setup will include a treadstone IC

Think about it like this,Your IC isnt doing its job unless you are under load and your BPV is closed at which point you will be getting more than enough air through the IC.At idle you shouldnt be getting much air through there anyway so a fan wouldnt be any help.

dwtjr3

Established Member
^ thats true, I wasnt really looking at the big picture I was just think more fans = cooler.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Like it's been said the only time you'll be utilizing the intercooler is when your moving so I doubt a fan would do much. Meth on the other hand is incredible. After mutliple pulls on the dyno I was getting IAT2s in the 60s on an 85 degree day.

dwtjr3

Established Member
^ really? Meth helps that much?

What are you running the snow juice or the windshield washer fluid?

When I do meth injection I am going to go with the windshield wiper fluid, Is ther pros or cons to going this route?

itSSlow98

Established Member
^ really? Meth helps that much?

What are you running the snow juice or the windshield washer fluid?

When I do meth injection I am going to go with the windshield wiper fluid, Is ther pros or cons to going this route?

I run 100% VP racing M1 methanol. For a turbo car I think straight meth is best which is all debatable, but for pd blower cars water mix is better for its cooling properties. Windshield washer fluid is like 20% meth if I'm not mistaken.

The vp is 40 bucks for 5 gallons which will last for months so its not worth the savings to me.

dwtjr3

Established Member
ok cool, Yeah I have a vortech and am just debating on to go with a meth setup or not.

I really like AIS's kits, they seem to be good quality

itSSlow98

Established Member
I run a stage 2 AIS kit with the 3 gallon trunk tank. I upgraded to all stainless lines which I highly recommend.

mnewxcv

Established Member
Air to air really can only cool down to ambient temp. You would have to have a serious fan behind it to cool lower then ambient.

:??: not sure if kidding or serious. a "serious" fan cant cool lower than ambient..

dwtjr3

Established Member
I run a stage 2 AIS kit with the 3 gallon trunk tank. I upgraded to all stainless lines which I highly recommend.

Any reason in particular to why you recommend the line upgrade?

So do you have the AIS controller as well?

What do you think are the pros and cons of the kit in your opinion?

itSSlow98

Established Member
Any reason in particular to why you recommend the line upgrade?

So do you have the AIS controller as well?

What do you think are the pros and cons of the kit in your opinion?

I have the AIS progressive box that activates off of a vacuum line. I upgraded to stainless because its safer, more durable, won't link like the cheap nylon will.

On the dyno right after installing it I had a valve cover gasket blow during the pull and the oil hit the exhaust manifold and ignited. It happened directly over the meth feed line. Had that been nylon it could have been VERY bad.

I can't really think of anything I don't like about the kit. The nice thing is there is no worry about where and how to mount the pump because its built Into the 3 gallon tank.

Last edited:

dwtjr3

Established Member
How much HP and TQ did you gain from the Meth?

Did yu do any before and after dyno runs?

If so do you have the graph so I can look at the differences in the curves?

itSSlow98

Established Member
I gained about 60rwhp on meth. Some if it was from the jump in boost just from adding it. One great benefit is it pulls the exact same in 90 degree weather was it does when it's 70. The graphs are about identical it just climbs higher. Mine still needs to be leaned out up top which is leaving around 75hp on the table.

Users who are viewing this thread