would a hi-po 2-seater Ford have a negative impact on the Mustang?

Should Ford add a hi-po 2-seater to the roster?

• Ford should produce a hi-po 2-seater sports car in addition to the Mustang

Votes: 82 85.4%
  • Ford should just keep the Mustang as their only hi-po car

Votes: 14 14.6%

• Total voters

RaceRedSnake

Established Member
I do not believe a 2 seat sports car would take away significant sales from the Mustang. The Mustang just appeals to a different part of the market. The Mustang has a greater appeal to more people than a 2 seat sports car.
I think Ford could bring out a real sports car like the size of the original Cobra. Now, that was a real sports car. The Viper, Corvette and other similar cars are a step above a sports car. They are more like a serious performance car with high horsepower and superior handling. I think there is a market niche for a fun to drive sports car. Ford could produce a car for that niche without causing great financial loss.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
They need to come out with a 3,000-3,200lb new ford gt with a shelby mustang powered power plant something like now or future setup maybe a supercharged or turbocharged 5.0 or 5.8 liter with around 650-700hp, or say maybe the 6.2 liter raptor motor with a power adder ;) mmmm 6.2 supercharged :)

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
I think this body style change would have been the perfect time to introduce a new 2 seater "Cobra" or Shelby, or what ever they want to call it....even use the new chassis as a foundation...they have proved that their willing to put mind numbing power into the flagship Mustang/Shelby, so why not save that for a true sports car(instead of tweaking a Mustang body) ...with the lineup of Mustang models that will be forthcoming.....Mach 1, Boss, etc...and the 5.0 that offers way more power than most of the driving public should be allowed to have....the Mustang still competes with a Camaro....and then there is room for the $55-70k Beast to compete with the Vette, Jag, Porsche, etc...but I don't want them to go full tilt Ford GT and have a full on exotic race car that costs $150k...that would be just a show car that sells a couple thousand a year and gets stored in a warehouse....... I want something that I can own....

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
I do not believe a 2 seat sports car would take away significant sales from the Mustang. The Mustang just appeals to a different part of the market. The Mustang has a greater appeal to more people than a 2 seat sports car.
I think Ford could bring out a real sports car like the size of the original Cobra. Now, that was a real sports car. The Viper, Corvette and other similar cars are a step above a sports car. They are more like a serious performance car with high horsepower and superior handling. I think there is a market niche for a fun to drive sports car. Ford could produce a car for that niche without causing great financial loss.

But there is no point in creating ANY car that is destined to be a financial loss. Ford is running a business for profit.

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
From the Ford GT forum interview with Jamal in 2010

"Ford GT Forum (9): As a business case, did the GT make money for Ford?

Jamal Hameedi: We made a little money.

Ford GT Forum (10): What would have to happen to make a similar business case for a
follow-on exotic in todays market?

Jamal Hameedi: Supercars are dessert for a company like Ford. They always have been and always will be. It's nearly impossible to convince anyone to invest in dessert when a company is just starting to come out of one of the worst cash flow situations in its history and as a result - your balance sheet is carrying more debt than you want. So to answer your question, we need to be making money consistently and we need to have a healthy balance sheet before we can consider dessert."

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
A new updated, Ford GT would be very cool. Some of the renderings out there are excellent...but...I don't see Ford doing it for the foreseeable future ...if ever. To Ford the Ford GT is a historic icon....not to be tampered with. About getting its dander up...Ford doesn't even have a serious road racing effort going. Chevy does...and the Corvette program is awesome. Remember Ford at Le Mans...last century. They see their market as reasonably.priced high performance cars for the street. They are very frugal in the application of their performance investments. Maybe...just maybe...we will see Ford kickup its game against the Camaro in the Pirelli and TUSC series. But...then again maybe not. With this attitude I don't see Ford risking Mustang sales...with a Halo sports car. Then again, whatever happened to "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday."

Cvialp5901

Established Member
I will say that out of the 2 company's Ford Vs GM , I trust the one that didn't go bankrupt! GM will continue to lose market share as well as go bankrupt again in the foreseeable future, especially if they continue to shoot themselves in the foot having 2 sport cars in the same pricing structure. This thread would be moot if GM went under.

masterman

Established Member
I believe, and this my opinion before it gets mistaken or taken the wrong way, that there is indeed a market for a 2 seater hi-po, but it would be up there with the viper and new z06 cost. But, as nickf2005 said, it would be for a completely different demographic. This would not be the car for us, by us I mean those that buy the mustang for the price it is now. The mustang and especially a Shelby or SVT mustang is the working man's sports car that is meant to be driven daily and race ready at a compromise of each.

Going back to the 2 seater, people would buy it just like they did the Ford GT. However, if the price were to be dropped below the 100K range (just as a speculation) such as to, lets say the 70-85K range (Just ball-parking it) it would then become the working mans super car. Yes the base Vette would still be cheaper, but you get a better car for the price (hopefully). The GT was EXPENSIVE, but it succeeded and was an amazing car. And, I know this was a huge argument but I feel nickf2005 was right, the same priced mustang as a 2 seater hi-po would indeed take away from the mustang because they are the same price and if one out performs the other then there would be no market for the less efficient one, would there not? So raising the price to the ball-park 70-85K range puts the mustang safe with room to grow while still giving a working mans :bowdown: super car. Too bad we don't have a superman icon haha

I do not believe they should copy the GT itself again, especially since someone like this guy is making this especially with his ties to ford New supercar picks up where Ford GT left off, but they should start new again just like they did by re-engineering the mustang for 2015.

I actually really like the idea that mustangmanjeff had of a new Cobra or something different but heritagey. It could even be a lesser version of the Dayton Coupe. <-- That would be the bee's knee's.

dreamers!

But hey wasn't this the whole point of this thread and all we are anyways? You hit it spot on my friend.

RaceRedSnake

Established Member
As I recall, Ford discontinued the production of the Ford GT because they would have had to make costly changes to it to meet new crash test standards. I would like to see Ford build a more affordable 2 seat sports car they could afford to build and the public can afford. There is no need to go after a piece of the pie of the market shared by the Viper, Corvette , and others. Ford could bring out a 2 seat sports car that could be unique for a market they could create all by themselves. Ford should be accumulating money in the future to allow them to afford to make such a sports car.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
As I recall, Ford discontinued the production of the Ford GT because they would have had to make costly changes to it to meet new crash test standards. I would like to see Ford build a more affordable 2 seat sports car they could afford to build and the public can afford. There is no need to go after a piece of the pie of the market shared by the Viper, Corvette , and others. Ford could bring out a 2 seat sports car that could be unique for a market they could create all by themselves. Ford should be accumulating money in the future to allow them to afford to make such a sports car.

It would be cool if Ford created another supercar. The Ford GT was one hell of a car.

americansteel

Banned

ford never stopped production of GT because of financial strains. it was a 2 year project that made ford money.
and they can easily afford to make a 2 door sports car. is the corvette putting GM out of business? no!

Jinx.

Stig's Lazy Cousin
Established Member
I like to see Ford bring back the Thunderbird. Design a car that attempts to remember when the first one was made to compete against the corvette and be in the niche. Not grandpa car. Not a pimp ride. Not a bloated mustang. A true sports car. Two seater, 3000 lbs or about, base with a 5.0 or ecoboost 3.5, with a Thunderbird ST trim with a ecoboost 5.0 or larger coyote based motor.

TheRebel

Established Member
Agreed, I'd like to see the Thunderbird back as Corvette/Viper fighter. I think it'd do well in the 70K+ margin as it would keep it away from Mustang sales and hopefully give them enough room to make a profit on the performance.

Lemers

Established Member
What price range are we talking?

A $60k corvette competitor would place the same kind of limits on the mustang that are occurring with the Camaro.

However, a $100k plus GTR/viper competitor could be use to provide future tech to the mustang.

TheRebel

Established Member
I'd say something that starts in the 70 to 80K range would be a good start and then go up from there with different trim levels

or

Give Lincoln a Halo car. Something that would bring interest back to the brand before it becomes completely irrelevant.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
I don't think the Ford GT or Cobra R's made a negative impact on the Mustang sales at all.

Users who are viewing this thread