WOT box help with clutch switch needed

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
Finally got my WOT box talking to my laptop again after getting windows 7. Now it doesn't show my clutch switch working. If I take a "read" with the clutch up or down, it still shows "UP -- 5 volts".

What the heck?

Now the weird part is that today I wired a switch into my cruise control/clutch switch so I can break the circuit to cancel the cruise control.... how can that affect it though? The cruise control works- the wired in "cancel" button works. But the WOT box can't tell when the clutch is down.

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
Finally got my WOT box talking to my laptop again after getting windows 7. Now it doesn't show my clutch switch working. If I take a "read" with the clutch up or down, it still shows "UP -- 5 volts".

What the heck?

Now the weird part is that today I wired a switch into my cruise control/clutch switch so I can break the circuit to cancel the cruise control.... how can that affect it though? The cruise control works- the wired in "cancel" button works. But the WOT box can't tell when the clutch is down.

I have had mine for 2 years but I thought you just manually change the box to read up when the clutch is up and then save changes.......press clutch in and change box if needed to read down and save changes.....I could be wrong on this but I think I remember having to tell the box what position the clutch was in when if first loaded on the laptop.

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
I have had mine for 2 years but I thought you just manually change the box to read up when the clutch is up and then save changes.......press clutch in and change box if needed to read down and save changes.....I could be wrong on this but I think I remember having to tell the box what position the clutch was in when if first loaded on the laptop.

That's right but my voltage doesn't change at all. Looking at wiring diagram, it's not getting grounded when clutch is pushed. Maybe my new cruise control switch crapped out. I'll check it tomorrow.

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
Probably wired it in wrong

I wish. I op-checked it earlier today. Cruise control works. The switch I put inline to the ground also works to cancel the cruise control. So either the switch went bad from the time I parked it and checked the WOT box, or it's something else. Only reason I suspect the little switch is that it's a .5amp 125VAC switch, not rated for 12VDC. Didn't know that until after I put it in. I have a heavy duty 12v switch on order.

ecabf5b9.gif

Silver03Termi

Established Member
Only reason I suspect the little switch is that it's a .5amp 125VAC switch, not rated for 12VDC. Didn't know that until after I put it in. I have a heavy duty 12v switch on order.

I suspect its the current rating and not the voltage rating ;-) The switch doesnt know if it's in an ac or dc circuit.

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
Could be it. Maybe it trips enough to kill the cruise control, but doesn't dump enough voltage for the WOT box to know the clutch is pushed in. I'll bypass the switch tomorrow and see if that fixes it.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
Also, you said "inline". By that statement, I'm assuming that you are implying that you put the "little switch" in series. You want to put it in parallel. You likely have this all wired wrong.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
Could be it. Maybe it trips enough to kill the cruise control, but doesn't dump enough voltage for the WOT box to know the clutch is pushed in. I'll bypass the switch tomorrow and see if that fixes it.

:dw:
unless your switch has a built in resistor (unlikely)....that isnt whats happening. No offense man, you should probably let someone experienced help you. Can you post pictures of your connections and wiring diagram for the wot box.

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
No parallel won't work. See this thread and the wiring diagram.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/839617-clutch-cruise-control-safety-switch-wiring-adding-cancel-button-cruise-contro.html
The wire goes to ground when the clutch is out. When the clutch is pushed in, the circuit breaks. I put a switch inline with the black wire so I can break the circuit with the push button- hence tripping off the cruise control without hitting the clutch or brakes. In effect a "cancel" button. That parts works. Why the WOT box doesn't see the change... still trying to figure that out.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
No parallel won't work. See this thread and the wiring diagram.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/839617-clutch-cruise-control-safety-switch-wiring-adding-cancel-button-cruise-contro.html
The wire goes to ground when the clutch is out. When the clutch is pushed in, the circuit breaks. I put a switch inline with the black wire so I can break the circuit with the push button- hence tripping off the cruise control without hitting the clutch or brakes. In effect a "cancel" button. That parts works. Why the WOT box doesn't see the change... still trying to figure that out.

gotcha, i didnt realize the the clutch was a normally closed circuit. pix of wot box diagram?

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
:dw:
unless your switch has a built in resistor (unlikely)....that isnt whats happening. No offense man, you should probably let someone experienced help you. Can you post pictures of your connections and wiring diagram for the wot box.

Here's the wiring diagram. The WOT box is tied into the green/violet wire (top of the diagram) from the ECU connecter.

ScreenShot2012-03-30at102113AM.gif

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
And my WOT box shows the clutch reading 5 volts. Which doesn't make any sense. It should be zero if grounded. There's also the option in the WOT box software to "invert" the clutch- so it shows the opposite position- but that doesn't matter because if I read the WOT box with the clutch in or out... it still shows 5 volts. No change. The darn WOT box worked before too. I need to do some more troubleshooting in the AM.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
On your switch, you cut the black and yellow wire, then wired those two ends into the two wires coming out of the switch? Right?

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
Yes. There's 5 feet of double 22 gauge wire going to center console then the switch. But it's inline. I think I'll start with double checking the cruise works, then short the switch and see if the wot box sees the difference between open and closed. I'm worried the wot box green wire got messed up while I was routing my heat exchanger fan cutoff wires. But if that wire was broken, would it still read 5 volts for the clutch? I'm thinking no..

Silver03Termi

Established Member
Yes. There's 5 feet of double 22 gauge wire going to center console then the switch. But it's inline. I think I'll start with double checking the cruise works, then short the switch and see if the wot box sees the difference between open and closed. I'm worried the wot box green wire got messed up while I was routing my heat exchanger fan cutoff wires. But if that wire was broken, would it still read 5 volts for the clutch? I'm thinking no..

im not really sure how your wot box is wired. Without seeing a diagram this is hard to answer.

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
Fixed it. I started off with a simple cruise control test- fail. It wouldn't come on. Turned out that one of the wires going to my fancy push button switch broke off when I was installing the center console. I should not have have used solid core 22 gauge wire, but that's all I had at the time. I'll need to re-run it with some better wire when my upgraded push button switch gets here.

Users who are viewing this thread