Worth the upgrade to KB 2.6?

musclemustang65

NA again
Established Member
I currently have a stock longblock 02 4.6 2v. My 2.1 has a mammoth inlet and makes 466rwhp on 14.7psi on a 9psi pulley. It shoul push 18psi at most and guessing 580ish rwhp on a built motor.
I fou d a deal on a 2.6 but im not sure how much more boost i can push on a 9.0-1 compression motor on pump gas.
I dont see it worth the swap for just 1-2 psi and 20hp.
Ay ideas to help me out whether to stay 2.1 or go 2.6 before the build?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Unless you plan on building the shortblock any time soon I would stay with what you have.

01yellercobra

Established Member
In that case I'd get the 2.6. Can you swap your mammoth inlet over to the 2.6? Local guy here was mid 600's with a 2.6 and stock Cobra engine. Another way to look at it is that you're probably spinning the 2.1 pretty hard to get those number.s The 2.6 won't have to be spun as hard even if you kept the boost level the same. Less blower rpm means lower IAT's.

musclemustang65

NA again
Established Member
Yeah itll be at the upper limits. Im not sure if the inlet will swap tho. Im paranoid about hood clearance issues with the 2.6 bc i have heard the bracket wont clear a stock hood but i have a saleen heat exchanger hood i want to keep. But the cobra hood clears so im not sure.

triple-s

Established Member
The stock hood does not clear I had to cut a hole under the scoop to get it to fit. It's not the bracket that hits it's the actual blower that doesn't fit. Also another thing is the pressure sensor hits the bypass valve so you'll have to grind that down if you're running fore fuel rails. I made 591 on 19 pounds.

Users who are viewing this thread