worth keeping OEM tires?

Osiris

Established Member
That's right...13 year old OEM tires...lol

The car I bought has them. They're in near perfect condition. I assume the original owner took these off pretty quickly after buying them and had them shrink-wrapped. I'm swapping the tires off today for something newer (lol).

Question is, are these worth keeping? I could always wrap them back up and store them. Just thinking about original equipment and all that....Goodyear doesn't make these anymore...

Thoughts?

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you have room I'd wrap them and store them. Never know who might want/need them in the future for a restoration.

Just think of all the guys that threw away the stock manifolds on the Pontiac HO engines. Bet they're kicking themselves now.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

NY03SonicConv.

Established Member
Some guys do hang on to them because of the date code. I guess someday a Terminator with the correct tires will be worth more. I don't think I'll be around to see that, so I chucked mine with 7,800 miles last year.

Osiris

Established Member
Guess all it costs me is attic space, lol...So I'll hang on to them for a little while. If they were halfway melted off, I'd just ditch 'em, but they really look like they haven't seen many miles. I was wondering how the guy kept the OEM wheels looking so amazing after so long, guess now I know.

modclassic

Guess all it costs me is attic space, lol...So I'll hang on to them for a little while. If they were halfway melted off, I'd just ditch 'em, but they really look like they haven't seen many miles. I was wondering how the guy kept the OEM wheels looking so amazing after so long, guess now I know.
Hi do you still have these tires? Are they dry rotted at all? Where are you located? I will PM you my info.

Osiris

Established Member
Hi do you still have these tires? Are they dry rotted at all? Where are you located? I will PM you my info.
Yes. I kept them. Not at all, in fact when I got the car I thought the tires were new until I checked the date. I put maybe 400 miles on the car before replacing them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I'm not sure why anyone would want rubber that isnt good anymore. There is a shelf life on them.

Osiris

Established Member
I'm not sure why anyone would want rubber that isnt good anymore. There is a shelf life on them.
Which is why I replaced them. But they're in teriffic shape, so good in fact I really didn't even think I needed to question their age. It wasn't until I started looking for replacement Goodyears for a staggered set of wheels I have that I realized these weren't made anymore and thought to look on the sidewall for the date of these

Osiris

Established Member
Some close ups...
c914aeabec4715d0d6ff7820c2e21adb.jpg
12b88e5dc5c27e479c59a6938b488373.jpg
9a0fddd16af8180fb6ed9479f9b2e4ec.jpg

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member

I’d definitely keep them in a manner that will preserve them. Here’s why..

Original Blue-dot Goodyears that came on ‘65 Shelby’s...go for over $2k EACH with bad tread. Find a mint one and double that number. And that was 5-10 years ago. Of course it isn’t likely that your tires will ever be worth THAT much...but the point is that someday...when people are actually restoring these cars to a high level...someone WILL want them. Be sure to confirm these are date coded to a date prior to the build date of your car.

Osiris

Established Member
I’d definitely keep them in a manner that will preserve them. Here’s why..

Original Blue-dot Goodyears that came on ‘65 Shelby’s...go for over $2k EACH with bad tread. Find a mint one and double that number. And that was 5-10 years ago. Of course it isn’t likely that your tires will ever be worth THAT much...but the point is that someday...when people are actually restoring these cars to a high level...someone WILL want them. Be sure to confirm these are date coded to a date prior to the build date of your car.
Nice! Lol

My car was built in January of 2004, IIRC

Users who are viewing this thread