Worth it to go E85 on NA setup?

TheBorkinator

Established Member
I know E85 is primarily used on boosted cars but will I see any significant gain with an NA setup? From what I've read it looks like an easy switch to do for our cars.

Car is currently around 440 rwhp with CAI, boss intake manifold, long tubes, xpipe, and full catback exhaust. Nitrous coming soon and thinking about maybe doing cams as well, though that looks to be too expensive for the gains.

helloWorld

Established Member
In my opinion, and from personal experience, E-85 is only worth it for naturally aspirated setups if the readily available pump gasoline is of terrible quality. Also, E-85 smells better than pump gasoline does for those who do not have catalytic converters.

If you have access to high quality pump gasoline, the additional 10 to 15 rwhp that you might see by switching to E-85 is just not a deal breaker for many. I could see if you had more compression, or direct injection, E-85 producing more power than pump gasoline in a NA motor.

However, those with forced induction are missing out on a LOT of power if they have E-85 readily available and are not currently running it.

slick3

Established Member
I know E85 is primarily used on boosted cars but will I see any significant gain with an NA setup? From what I've read it looks like an easy switch to do for our cars.

Car is currently around 440 rwhp with CAI, boss intake manifold, long tubes, xpipe, and full catback exhaust. Nitrous coming soon and thinking about maybe doing cams as well, though that looks to be too expensive for the gains.

I run a similar setup minus the manifold. I ended up buying ID1k's because I figured I was going to boost but my plans have since changed and I am going to go SCJ. I picked up about 15 horse power. The car runs better than it ever ran on 91. I only drive the car 2-3 times a week so the gas mileage issues do not really apply for me.

I am AED tuned with a Flex tune. I like it quite a bit... and that ethanol smells oh so sweet :rolling:

TheBorkinator

Established Member
In my opinion, and from personal experience, E-85 is only worth it for naturally aspirated setups if the readily available pump gasoline is of terrible quality. Also, E-85 smells better than pump gasoline does for those who do not have catalytic converters.

If you have access to high quality pump gasoline, the additional 10 to 15 rwhp that you might see by switching to E-85 is just not a deal breaker for many. I could see if you had more compression, or direct injection, E-85 producing more power than pump gasoline in a NA motor.

However, those with forced induction are missing out on a LOT of power if they have E-85 readily available and are not currently running it.

I run 93. Would the E85 have more effect when I start running nitrous?

helloWorld

Established Member
I imagine the cooling effect of E-85 is minimal to the cooling effect of nitrous. I guess, you can probably run more timing with the nitrous and E-85. You might also have a more lenient fueling window, in regards to running lean and engine longevity.

Users who are viewing this thread