Worth getting frame connectors?

PJM99

Established Member
Been looking into getting frame connectors. I keep hearing about bodies twisting and floors cracking. I hate to do it, because I don't want to ruin the originality of the car, but I don't want it to twist. The car is pretty much stock, except for exhaust. My next and last mods will be headers and short throw, and that is as far as I go. Is the twisting that bad, that a virtually stock car will need connectors too? I just figure in the long run, they'll preserve the car.

lone sailor

Established Member
If you're not going to be doing much racing then I would say leave the car as is, because once installed it's hard to remove them without leaving any evidence behind.

93cobra2776

a.k.a Lee93
Established Member
In my opinion they are preventative maintainence (sp?) whether you race your car or not. They keep the clar from flexing which over time will cause squeaks and rattles to appear

02_Lightning

Established Member
I was running 12.90's on drag radials for a few years (many passes) and never ran subframe connectors.... never had any squeaks, rattles, cracked torque boxes, or cracks on the A-pillars. On highly modified/abused cars, you will find cracks on the A-pillar... those are the ones to stay away from.
I would say stay away from them... your mods will not make enough power to twist the car up.

Fiveoh93Snake

Snake Bitten!
Established Member
JMO; any convertible should have sub-frame connectors. Any hardtop running stickies and moderate to high power should have em. If you don't drive the piss outa your car and its stock, u should be fine.

svtdriven

Established Member
If you are planning on beating the car, get them. I've seen ripples in the roof over the c-pillars, wobbly looking quarter windows, and read twice about a crack in the floor pan developing where it comes up to the beginning of the rear seat.

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
i for one dont think installing subframe conn's will hurt the value of the car. unless maaaaybe your going for totally original, factory stock and i mean factory battery,plugs, belt, etc... you get the point.
otherwise most people would appreciate you trying to preserve the vehicle better. ALL mustangs could use subframe conn's the chassis is just too weak. and i gurantee if you drove the car before and after the install listening for squeaks/rattle you would notice it to be quiter. is it NEEDED? maybe not but again i dont think it would hurt either.
just my opinion :D

93cobra2776

a.k.a Lee93
Established Member
93cobra#3326 said:
i for one dont think installing subframe conn's will hurt the value of the car. unless maaaaybe your going for totally original, factory stock and i mean factory battery,plugs, belt, etc... you get the point.
otherwise most people would appreciate you trying to preserve the vehicle better. ALL mustangs could use subframe conn's the chassis is just too weak. and i gurantee if you drove the car before and after the install listening for squeaks/rattle you would notice it to be quiter. is it NEEDED? maybe not but again i dont think it would hurt either.
just my opinion :D

I agree completely. They make the car feel better when driving. SFC's along with a strut tower brace should be a standard on these cars. They are worth every penny. Makes driving a lot better

jspalmer01

Established Member
Bought my car new in 93 and put them on pretty quick. I think they help preserve the integrity of a rather weak chassis. If you don't drive it rather spiritedly (sp) on occasion probably not needed...but most people will.

PJM99

Established Member
I don't beat on it, but I do like to get on it sometimes. It can't hurt to get them done I guess. I just need the reassurance. Thank guys.

alotahp92gt

Established Member
in both of my foxes I have them. one is stock and the other is modded pretty well. The difference in just daily driveing was night and day.
biggest difference was in the modded 89, but it had over 100k miles on it.
on the 92 with 30k it was still a noticeable improvement over not haveing them. I noticed when takeing an off/on ramp or hard corner at speed.
I will never own anouther fox without putting them on, JMO!

reyberg

Established Member
Without a doubt! Be sure whoever installs them knows what they are doing though.

PJM99

Established Member
Yeah, I can and would do it myself, but I don't have a drive up lift and honestly don't have the time to do it. There's an awesome local shop, here in CT, that I'm going to have do it.

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
PJM99 said:
Been looking into getting frame connectors. I keep hearing about bodies twisting and floors cracking. I hate to do it, because I don't want to ruin the originality of the car, but I don't want it to twist. The car is pretty much stock, except for exhaust. My next and last mods will be headers and short throw, and that is as far as I go. Is the twisting that bad, that a virtually stock car will need connectors too? I just figure in the long run, they'll preserve the car.

if its good enough for a Shelby, its' good enough for me

Lee

Established Member
I've had (2) 88 GT convertibles, (1) 93 Cobra, (1) 94 Cobra, and (1) 95 Cobra convertible in the past 10 years. I installed SFCs and strut tower braces on all and noticed the difference in body stiffness, especially with the convertibles. I've used Kenny Brown's "Super subs" (they're stiffer than their regular subs) and Maximum Motorsports, both have the seat bracing, and I liked the MM SFCs the best. You'll really notice the difference when you jack up one end of the car and open and close the doors. Without the SFCs the door allignment is off, especially on convertibles.

bp03svt

Established Member
alotahp92gt said:
in both of my foxes I have them. one is stock and the other is modded pretty well. The difference in just daily driveing was night and day.
biggest difference was in the modded 89, but it had over 100k miles on it.
on the 92 with 30k it was still a noticeable improvement over not haveing them. I noticed when takeing an off/on ramp or hard corner at speed.
I will never own anouther fox without putting them on, JMO!

Exactly! You can tell a difference as soon as you switch lanes, taking curves, or even turning into a parking lot that has "the sidewalk hump"---don't know what else to call it. Trust me bro, they really do help out ALOT.

I had some on my 347 LX hatch when I wrecked it. They kept the car from folding up on me. It twisted the body of the car so much that I couldn't push the clutch in far enough to start the car after pushing the fuel reset button. In other words, they very well may have saved my life. They were beefy as hell, 3 inch square tubing that was welded in place. Just sharing to help you decide. :beer:

EDIT: I have had them on every stang since then.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Every FOX should have these, no question. Paint them chassis black, nobody will ever know, and you'll have a better car.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread