Worth changing out the suspension?

robvas

Established Member
Looking for more straight line traction (aren't we all)

Current setup:

2003 Convertible
315/35-17 Toyo TQ drag radial on 17x10.5 replica wheels
Stock K member/control arms
Full-length subframes
BMR Lower Control Arms, Single Adj, Poly/rod End
QA1 adjustable UCA
Stock front and rear sway bars
3.27 SRA

Bilstein front struts
Tokico (?) rear shocks
No quad shocks
Blue lowering springs (BBK? H&R?)

I'm not sure of the springs so I don't know the rates, but the fronts don't feel like a 550lb/in spring or anything crazy. I have zero complaints about the ride quality as it sits now, handling wise or comfort wise.

I know I'm not going to hook in 1st on drag radials but I'd like to firm second up a bit. Even if I roll into it I'll blow the tires off once in a while. Also would not mind raising the car up a half an inch or so.

I basically drive the car just to cruise around a bit. No intentions of "canyon carving" etc but I also don't want a full drag setup with 90/10's etc

The simplest thing I can think of doing is finding a set of stock springs for the front, cutting half a coil off and then getting a Koni yellow or Strange adjustable front strut and setting it loose. I can then firm it back up in a couple minutes if I want.

Am I correct that allowing the front to come up a bit will help transfer some weight to the rear and give me more traction?

Last edited:

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I did H&R Race Springs (red) with Bilstein HD’s on all 4 corners as well as a battery relocation to the rear to help get some weight over the rear tires.

My car stays flat, even in the corners, and hooks well with Continental ECS.

I also have the FTBR full kit in the IRS but that was more for ride quality.

Users who are viewing this thread