World's least useful dipstick?

nhs156

Established Member
I mean, talk about long and bendy (that sounded wrong on several levels). By the time you extract it from the plastic tubing that surrounds the darn thing (uh er missus), it's virtually impossible to decipher oil level. There's a bit of oil above the max mark, but none covering the top hole. There's more of a concentration towards the middle and bottom, with oil covering that bottom hole. But it's remarkly unintuitive - for a darned dipstick! I blame the fact that it's long and bendy - which means the sheer process of extracting puts oil above the max mark. Perhaps if the oil was older, thinker and darker it would be less of an issue, but with just 2K miles its hard to tell.

/Rant!

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Be thankful you have one. Friends Porsche has no dipstick the computer tells you when it's full.

nhs156

Established Member
Be thankful you have one. Friends Porsche has no dipstick the computer tells you when it's full.

True. I didn't have one on my M5 and it drove me crazy - after the last oil change I drove around with a low oil warning lamp until it finally auto-corrected itself (after I added another half quart). After a day or so it showed itself as being between the low and high marks. So dealer was wrong but ultimately had no way of knowing without emptying out the oil and starting again. Stupid!

mullens

Established Member
It's bendy to save $$. Ford uses a thinner material then twists it so it stays ridged. You may not think it's much but multiply a few cents by several thousand it all adds up. I agree sometimes it's hard to get an accurate reading

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
Really

I mean, talk about long and bendy (that sounded wrong on several levels). By the time you extract it from the plastic tubing that surrounds the darn thing (uh er missus), it's virtually impossible to decipher oil level. There's a bit of oil above the max mark, but none covering the top hole. There's more of a concentration towards the middle and bottom, with oil covering that bottom hole. But it's remarkly unintuitive - for a darned dipstick! I blame the fact that it's long and bendy - which means the sheer process of extracting puts oil above the max mark. Perhaps if the oil was older, thinker and darker it would be less of an issue, but with just 2K miles its hard to tell.

/Rant!
Really?

Users who are viewing this thread