Workout Routine

Steve1578

Established Member
Wondering what all you gym rats do as your routine.
My current routine is :

Monday - Chest, Shoulder, Triceps
Tuesday - Back, Biceps
Wednesday - Leg, Cardio
Thursday - Chest, Shoulder, Triceps
Friday - Back, Biceps
Saturday - Leg, Cardio.

So basically I do push movements, pull movements, off day. Repeat.

I mix up exercises when I plateau, etc., etc.
I have a home gym, but with just having a newborn, it's still a little difficult to spend the necessary time 6 days a week. Thinking about switching it up and doing a full body every Monday, Wednesday, Friday instead.
What do you guys do?

Rct851

Established Member
Right now I'm

1 Chest, Bi's
2 Legs
3 Cardio/core
4 Back
5 Shoulders/tris
6 Off/cardio/legs- not all of them just how I see fit and what my body says
If needed-another day like the one before doing what of the 3 I didn't do.

The "back day" and "shoulder/tri" is a tough back to back so usually back is done at 5am and shoulder\tri is done in the afternoon the following day so there more like 36 hours recovery.

If i feel good enough to hit chest and Bi's after only 1 lower body/cardio day I will. I urge everyone to not be a slave to a 7 day rotation, your body doesn't know how many days in a week there are.

Last edited:

G04cobra

Established Member
1-Chest/back
2-Legs/triceps
3-Shoulders/bi's
4-core/cardio

Having a kid myself its hard to go more than 4 days a week.

CGLhawk260

Established Member
All cardio workouts at 75-85% average hear rate goal.

Average Body weight 146 Age 46 ~~body fat is pretty low.

Monday- Elliptical 75 minutes Level 16
Tuesday -Spin Bike 80-90 minutes ~~~ PM workout ABs, Arms, Shoulders
Wed - Run Treadmill average incline 2.5 @ average 6.7 mph for 8 miles total time 70 minutes ~~~ PM workout Chest, Back , ABs
Thursday -Elliptical 75 minutes Level 15
Friday- Spin Bike all out 96 minutes Megadeth music cranked up
Saturday - Run at the track 8 miles in one hour goal. +/- 8 mph
Sunday -Spin Bike 80-85 minutes heart rate average declines

I take a day off when i need too. I sometimes walk at night or lunch time 2-3 miles and kick box or hit the punching bag when i am angry or need an extra workout. I'll take one week off twice a year to decondition and add body weight as needed.

Diet very lean during the week M-F average calories 1300 protein and whole wheat eggs, etc. Saturday and Sunday calorie load 3000-4000 calories very strong beer, high fat , pulled pork,pizza, steaks burgers you name it. I eat whatever the **** i want.

I've been doing this for almost 7 years in cycles.

Last edited:

Rainmaker

2highPSI
Established Member
M: 5x15 Back Squats, 5x15 Bench Press, 5x15 BB Rows, 5x15 Dips, 5x15 Pullups (Dead hang), 2 mile run, .5 mile swim (CSS)
T: HIIT, Sprints, 50, 100 yards. Pushups, Situps, Planks, Ab work
W: 5x15 Back Squats, 5x15 Standing Military Press, 5x15 Deadlifts, 5x15 Dips, 5x15 Pullups (Dead hang), 2 mile run, .5 mile swim (CSS)
F: 5x15 Back Squats, 5x15 Bench Press, 5x15 BB Rows, 5x15 Dips, 5x15 Pullups (Dead hang), 2 mile run, .5 mile swim (CSS)

Last edited:

Rct851

Established Member
M: 5x15 Back Squats, 5x15 Bench Press, 5x15 BB Rows, 5x15 Dips, 5x15 Pullups (Dead hang), 2 mile run, .5 mile swim (CSS)
W: 5x15 Back Squats, 5x15 Standing Military Press, 5x15 Deadlifts, 5x15 Dips, 5x15 Pullups (Dead hang), 2 mile run, .5 mile swim (CSS)
That's no joke.

Steve1578

Established Member
All cardio workouts at 75-85% average hear rate goal.

Average Body weight 146 Age 46 ~~body fat is pretty low.

Monday- Elliptical 75 minutes Level 16
Tuesday -Spin Bike 80-90 minutes ~~~ PM workout ABs, Arms, Shoulders
Wed - Run Treadmill average incline 2.5 @ average 6.7 mph for 8 miles total time 70 minutes ~~~ PM workout Chest, Back , ABs
Thursday -Elliptical 75 minutes Level 15
Friday- Spin Bike all out 96 minutes Megadeth music cranked up
Saturday - Run at the track 8 miles in one hour goal. +/- 8 mph
Sunday -Spin Bike 80-85 minutes heart rate average declines

I take a day off when i need too. I sometimes walk at night or lunch time 2-3 miles and kick box or hit the punching bag when i am angry or need an extra workout. I'll take one week off twice a year to decondition and add body weight as needed.

Diet very lean during the week M-F average calories 1300 protein and whole wheat eggs, etc. Saturday and Sunday calorie load 3000-4000 calories very strong beer, high fat , pulled pork,pizza, steaks burgers you name it. I eat whatever the **** i want.

I've been doing this for almost 7 years in cycles.

Impressive! Do you meal plan and pre-cook?

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
I've tried them all. This is what works best for ME.

Day 1. Chest biceps/forearms

2. Back and traps.

3. Shoulders/triceps.

4. Legs.

I do abs usually 2/3 sets to failure all four days.

I change my routines every 8 weeks but week 1 and 2 are different exercises to prevent boredom. So weeks 1 3 5 and 7 are the same routine and 2 4 6 and 8 are the same.

Troponin

Established Member
Bro split for life, brah.

During the summer, I break it up in to your basic bro split of Chest/shoulders, Back/abs, legs, arms. During the winter, I like to change it up to a push/pull split or upper/lower body split. With the increase in calories I am consuming in the winter, I can tolerate legs twice a week and harder upper body workouts.

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
F: 5x15 Back Squats, 5x15 Bench Press, 5x15 BB Rows, 5x15 Dips, 5x15 Pullups (Dead hang), 2 mile run, .5 mile swim (CSS)

Damn. You must be in outstanding shape. How long do you rest in between pull-up sets?

Rainmaker

2highPSI
Established Member
How long do you rest in between pull-up sets?

as long as I have to. lol. I have to change my grip (narrow, medium, wide) to hit different parts of the lat. If I am really smoked I will do a close grip and get the biceps more. I feel like dead hang pullups (mil style) are amazing for your entire body. They are like the back squat for the upper body. core, everything. But I do put on more lat size with lat pulldowns. The swim is the dessert, something to look forward to. nice getting into the pool and relaxing. once you learn the combat side stroke you can move through water quickly and efficently, still get a good workout and not even realize how much your body is working.

Last edited:

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
1.chest/tri
2.back/bi
3. Legs/shoulders

This is roughly what I've been doing for a few months minus the shoulders on leg day. Sometimes I'd mix it up and throw in some squats on chest day and incline barbell press on leg day and I'll usually run on the days in between (gotta be able to pass those PT tests).

Next week I'm gonna start a PHUL routine.

Troponin

Established Member
as long as I have to. lol. I have to change my grip (narrow, medium, wide) to hit different parts of the lat. If I am really smoked I will do a close grip and get the biceps more. I feel like dead hang pullups (mil style) are amazing for your entire body. They are like the back squat for the upper body. core, everything. But I do put on more lat size with lat pulldowns. The swim is the dessert, something to look forward to. nice getting into the pool and relaxing. once you learn the combat side stroke you can move through water quickly and efficently, still get a good workout and not even realize how much your body is working.

DO you do your pullups weighted? I did them for years and got very strong at them, but I started having neck problems. One day I realized that I was straining my neck to do them, but I couldn't seem to fix it. I went back to pulldowns for a while, and now I will cycle pullups in and out, that way, I never get to heavy with them. Pulling is by far my strongest movement. I was up to +65lbs for 10 reps at a BW of 214. These days, I work up to +35lbs, then go back to pulldowns. Not sure how beneficial it is anymore. Neck certainly feels better though.

Any of you folks have neck issues with heavy pullups?

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
Any of you folks have neck issues with heavy pullups?

I weigh close to 300lbs. Every pull up I do is a heavy pull up. lol

And no, I've never had neck issues. if you were I'd be willing to be that you were straining your neck as you were doing them instead of relaxing everything but the working muscles. just a hunch.

Gravik

Established Member
Monday - chest
Tues- back/shoulders
Weds- arms
Thurs- legs
Fri- chest
Sat- arms

Will be doing legs/cardio/abs a lot more over the winter to prep for firefighting (for taking cpat and possibility of job)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
I don't have a routine anymore. I find they become restrictive and not very fun. Every day I feel different, so I train whatever I feel I can do the best that day (making sure I hit everything at least once a week). The only thing I am "strict" on is the amount of time spent in the gym (no more than 90 minutes MAX) and stretching after every 3-4 sets in the sauna for about 5 minutes.

Steve1578

Established Member
I don't have a routine anymore. I find they become restrictive and not very fun. Every day I feel different, so I train whatever I feel I can do the best that day (making sure I hit everything at least once a week). The only thing I am "strict" on is the amount of time spent in the gym (no more than 90 minutes MAX) and stretching after every 3-4 sets in the sauna for about 5 minutes.

Interesting approach. I feel that if I did that, I'd end up hitting chest & arms every day lol.

Users who are viewing this thread