Working on my car - Fluids question.

Dark02Pony

Established Member
While normally I would work on my car in my garage but since I currently have my garage crammed with stuff that needs to go to storage I had no other choice to put my car on ramps in street since my driveway is way too slanted to be on ramps safely (quiet side street..only cars you see are those who live in the neighborhood.) Was in the middle of doing a coolant flush and a cop that drives down the road every now and then stopped me and informed me not to let any fluids leak onto the road(I had a drain pan) or I could face a fine in the future. I have never heard of anything like this :shrug: Any information would be appreciated!

oldmodman

Established Member
I can believe that.

Here in Los Angeles used oil can be taken to any store that sells oil (but not supermarkets, 7/11s and those sorts of places).

And you are actually told to either take your used coolant to the hazardous waste disposal center or pour it down the toilet. Either method will prevent it from mixing with ground water or poisoning animals.

Dark02Pony

Established Member
Yeah I definitely know to bring it to local pepboys and they take care of it. Just wasn't sure about if any were to drip onto the ground aka splash or if a car has a leak or something of that nature. I definitely wouldn't use the street as a drain.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I can believe that.

Here in Los Angeles used oil can be taken to any store that sells oil (but not supermarkets, 7/11s and those sorts of places).

And you are actually told to either take your used coolant to the hazardous waste disposal center or pour it down the toilet. Either method will prevent it from mixing with ground water or poisoning animals.

Actually, this method is being frowned upon because the residential wastewater plants are not equipped to deal with antifreeze and to make is safe to release. Treated wastewater is released back into streams and rivers, therefore, the chemicals in antifreeze, albiet in small amounts, are releases into the waterways.

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
Can't comment from an LEO perspective but I know the city can fine you for it... if they see you doing it.

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
Actually, this method is being frowned upon because the residential wastewater plants are not equipped to deal with antifreeze and to make is safe to release. Treated wastewater is released back into streams and rivers, therefore, the chemicals in antifreeze, albiet in small amounts, are releases into the waterways.

And antifreeze for animals is bad, it is really bad.
But at the same time I must confess, I do the same thing :poke:

oldmodman

Established Member

I can only relate my Los Angeles experience.

Our sewer water is separate from storm drain/gutter water. All sewer water goes to the Hyperion Water Treatment Plant where it is treated to human comsumption levels and then sent down an eight foot diameter pipe to five miles offshore where it goes into the sea.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I can only relate my Los Angeles experience.

Our sewer water is separate from storm drain/gutter water. All sewer water goes to the Hyperion Water Treatment Plant where it is treated to human comsumption levels and then sent down an eight foot diameter pipe to five miles offshore where it goes into the sea.

Ours is too. The only issue with the treatment process that is used is that it can't handle the ethylene glycol, or any other chemical for that matter. It only sanitizes the human waste factor. Pills, antifreeze, and any other substances flushed or put into the system will just run straight through the process (which usually consists of chlorination and then dechlorination) and not get properly treated before being released. The sanitation process is considerably more in-depth that what I posted, but the end result is the same.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
While normally I would work on my car in my garage but since I currently have my garage crammed with stuff that needs to go to storage I had no other choice to put my car on ramps in street since my driveway is way too slanted to be on ramps safely (quiet side street..only cars you see are those who live in the neighborhood.) Was in the middle of doing a coolant flush and a cop that drives down the road every now and then stopped me and informed me not to let any fluids leak onto the road(I had a drain pan) or I could face a fine in the future. I have never heard of anything like this :shrug: Any information would be appreciated!

Need the laws, otherwise people would simply dump toxic chemicals anywhere.

2 weeks agao I had the luxury of seeing white paint running for 40 yards to a storm drain that goes to the ocean.....lovely person did that....

Users who are viewing this thread