Workflow software

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I've recently been tasked with evaluating and recommending workflow and document collaboration software for my employeer (Texas Legislature). I've looked at the Gartner Magic Quadrant reports but that only goes so far.

Something where a analyst/staff can submit to their manager who then reviews and can send it to a member/director, who can review and pass it along. Something that maintains a paper trail of who reviewed it and any notes they added.

What do y'all use where you work? The top ones I'm seeing are Huddle, Sharepoint and Fluix.

The condition is because of the sensitive nature of the documents we store, cloud based software is out. It has to be something that can be installed on local workstations, laptops and mobile devices.

Thanks.

Last edited:

jconnor3

Established Member
Our ad agency used basecamp for awhile but it was....ok. We switched to Wrike and it's pretty good. I use probably 10% of its capabilities so i'm not sure if it would or wouldn't do the things you needed but for basic workflow, I know it works well.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I'm guessing we aren't talking about something like microsoft project.

Closest thing Microsoft has would be sharepoint.

We need something that is more like a document collaboration & approval software.

Recently found Huddle which looks pretty good, but it's $40/user per month.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Our ad agency used basecamp for awhile but it was....ok. We switched to Wrike and it's pretty good. I use probably 10% of its capabilities so i'm not sure if it would or wouldn't do the things you needed but for basic workflow, I know it works well.

I implemented Wrike for our company. Pretty good software, you can build up nice templates from their basic features and get pretty nice reports on productivity and the like. Unfortunately, it is a cloud only package so no good for OP.

Almost all the major packages including 3 of 4 OP mentioned are cloud based. Almost all are now, it is much simpler to implement for both the creator and consumer. Not to mention integration into other applications.

Closest thing Microsoft has would be sharepoint.

We need something that is more like a document collaboration & approval software.

Recently found Huddle which looks pretty good, but it's $40/user per month.

If you know how many users you will have contact one of their sales people. I have found most companies are pretty flexible with pricing if you approach them with your needs and they think there is a possible sale. Especially if you can opt out of the cloud features / storage you won't be using.

99-venom

Established Member
We use Unipoint for document control. It works really well for saving rev controlled documents that need certain reviewers before the document can be used. It doesn't work for collaboration since it only keeps rev control of the already reviewed documents. There might be a work around...

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Maybe i'll pipe back in in a month when I figure out what my new employer uses, but it may be too late for you when I learn about it. And its in a manufacturing plant. Probably required to meet the same cyber security requirements, but slightly different focus.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I just started a new training position at my work last week and we use Sharepoint. Just learning it but it seems pretty good.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
SharePoint

Proven.
Integrates seamlessly with everything.
Plenty of knowledge base.

This is one of those things where you don't try and reinvent the wheel.

SirShaun

Established Member
I think the key word your looking for is ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) Software. Searching for ERP Software will probably open quite a few doors for you.

It's been a few years but my local county implemented a Munis ERP Financial System. I'm sure it cost a pretty penny for the scale and modules we were using. They basically gave us hardware specs, we racked and cabled, they configured 3 environments for us (Prod, Demo, Test). Essentially it was Microsoft SQL Servers, an application layer, with HTML5 front end web servers.

Easy to manage users and permissions. You provide the work flow, they establish it in the software. Attach documents, comments, pictures, signatures all the way up and down the ladder. Government level auditing along the way. Very solid on premise solution. Easy to co locate. All your data is in a SQL Server, if you ever want to break up with them, your data should migrate rather easily.

I see they offer a Records and Document Solutions product, which may be worth checking out.
https://www.tylertech.com/solutions-products/solutions/records-document-solutions

More so, your after the TCM (Tyler Content Manager).
https://www.tylertech.com/solutions-products/tyler-content-manager
https://www.tylertech.com/ProductSheets/TylerContentManager/Tyler-Content-Manager-Product-Sheet.pdf

Last edited:

SirShaun

Established Member
Sharepoint seems interesting but looks to be a huge PIA to set up.

Oh it is. You will probably need to source a 3rd party to build it out how you want and to manage it, or hire some sharepoint admins to keep it in house.

Check out JIRA. Project templates aren't that bad, and do a lot of the initial layout for you. Supports local accounts or LDAP for authentication. Groups dictate permissions. Creating the work flow will probably be the hardest part.

JIRA will never look as pretty as Sharepoint, be as customizeable, or integrate with as many things, but is that a bad thing when getting shit done? It's simpler and will do everything you asked.

I use JIRA daily with a bunch of developers doing Dev Ops. Developers are running Agile/Scrum, and we in Dev Ops are running Lean/Kanban. We don't even have work flows setup as we use the buddy system to validate, but I know work flows are easily achievable and places a nice approve yes/no button on that person's dashboard, if they are designated in the work flow.

Unrelated to what you need. I'm a fan of the Lean/Kanban methodology. It's by far the most efficient work flow I've ever experienced. Kanban has a pretty cool history of being invented by Toyota to increase efficiency also lol. I've done the whole get multiple approvals thing before, and it sucked.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread