Worked on a cruise ship?

Black0ut

Established Member
Share your experiances here.

Did you enjoy it?
How long did you do it for?
What was your job?
Would you do it again?

I recently thought about leaving the drama of home behind for a while and travelling the world, thought this might be a cool opportunity.

Thanks in advance for any input :thumbsup:

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
from wat ive been told by cruise employees (foreign) they do not hire anyone from the united states, they want only foreign people cuz they are more "polite" where as being an american like myself, if a customer ever gave me hardcore shit, id stick up for myself. ive seen the patience and courtesy first hand even with the drunk azzholes, these people really have self discipline.

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
And the pay is really bad. The only people that make any money at all are the guest musicians. Since all of the cruise lines are foreign, they do not have to pay minimum wage.

1993R

Established Member
Better off joining the military. Cruise ships are nothing more than slave ships for the people that work on them. Unless you are the Captain......

SpectorV

Established Member
I dont think they hire non Americans for how polite they are... they dont hire them due to how much cheaper they can get other people to do the jobs.... its all about money.

50 Proof

Established Member
I went on a cruise to Alaska, there were plenty of (hot) American and Canadian citizens (girls) working on the cruise ship. I know because I talked to them, they were the only young people on the ship :lol1:

Last edited:

Black0ut

Established Member
Thanks for the input so far guys :thumbsup:

There has been a few ad's around the papers in my area so I assume they are looking for Canadians atleast. I'll make a call today and see what's available.

Keep the input coming to guys. thanks again.

Cobrasvt43

Muscle car whore
Established Member
because a lot of the people who go on cruises do so regularly, when most ppl go on their first one they are amazed at the service (at least non-wealthy folks, cant speak for the wealthy ones), as people go on more and more they bitch about small shit. when I went on the only one I have ever been on i was in awe the entire time of the treatment we received, meantime.. i hear ppl at other tables bitching about this and that.. shit i would have never dreamed of noticing.

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
Cobrasvt43 said:
because a lot of the people who go on cruises do so regularly, when most ppl go on their first one they are amazed at the service (at least non-wealthy folks, cant speak for the wealthy ones), as people go on more and more they bitch about small shit. when I went on the only one I have ever been on i was in awe the entire time of the treatment we received, meantime.. i hear ppl at other tables bitching about this and that.. shit i would have never dreamed of noticing.

You get assholes like that anywhere you go......

Cobrasvt43

Muscle car whore
Established Member
as true as that may be, i imagine it is much more prevalent on something such as a cruise ship.. or most high end vacation destinations. But on a cruise ship, the service expected is unlike any other I have experienced.

50 Proof

Established Member
Black0ut said:
Thanks for the input so far guys :thumbsup:

There has been a few ad's around the papers in my area so I assume they are looking for Canadians atleast. I'll make a call today and see what's available.

Keep the input coming to guys. thanks again.

There were tons of canadian workers on the Alaska cruise I went on. All the people I talked to on the ship seemed to enjoy it. Even if the pay isn't the greatest, it's not like you have to pay for rent either. Plus, you'll get time off to explore around at the different stops that the cruise ships make. Try to work on a cruise ship with people that'll be in your age range. If you're young, it'll suck to be on a cruise ship with all old people.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
There are quite a few Canadians in the cruise industry, most of them are entertainers and perform in the shows or work in the child care services or infirmary.

While on a cruise ship you work every day, including the days in port. You share a room that is no bigger than a closet. If you are lucky, you have a private bath but most dont, unless you are in a show or have officer status. Otherwise you use a common bathroom. These cabins are all interior cabins with no windows and are below the water line. The hours are long. When you are off duty you can not go into any passenger areas, you must stay in the crew area or crew bar. It is not a pleasant experience for most americans.

s_x_i

Established Member
I got offered 1200 a week as a musician. Not entry level pay mind you (my resume was pretty stacked) Didn't do it because of Visa issues...

My B.I.L. was a network manager for a cruise ship. He made great money and loved it. I guess it just depends what position you are looking into.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
i have cosnidered it myself....

doc, goffer, capt. stubing.....i miss the love boat. what was that hot chix name?

Users who are viewing this thread