won't start - theft light flashing

3ohh2

Established Member
I'm having another issue with my 03 SVTF and need your help... car is stock and has 102K on it.

At times the car will not start . When I put the key in and turn to the power on position, the normal chimes dont ring ( I usually hear 5 or 6 rings) and the gauges dont turn on. The only sound I hear when turned to the on position is the CD changer reloading similar to when it resets for the first time after disconnecting the battery. When I turn to the run position the starter doesn't crank and I cant hear the pump as I normally do. The dome lights and fan are really the only power thats working. When this happens, the theft light on the dash starts flickering really fast like 5 times per second (it normally flashes once every 3 seconds or so).

I've checked the batt and alt connections and took the battery off to charge but still having issues.

This happened for the first time once last week but now I have to fight with the car and come back 10 minutes later to get it started everytime I go out. Today I couldnt get it started at all.

So I think i'm having an issue with the transponder key activating the PATS. Does this sound right? I dont have any other transponder keys on my key ring so im assuming no intereference. Has anyone had a problem similar to this or know if there is a way to fix or reprogram this? I dont have any real experience with anti-theft systems so I'm counting on your help so I can avoid the dealership ...my SVTF hasn't been there once yet!

Thanks.

ncarter124

Established Member
I don't know a lot about the SVTF but generally speaking it does sound like your transponder. Do you have any other keys that you can try?

3ohh2

Established Member
the other key does the same thing... is there something I can check under the dash?

ncarter124

Established Member
As far as I understand, and take this with a grain of salt, but the key sends an RF signal to an 'antenna' in the steering column. It is making me wondering if that is not working as opposed to the keys. You don't have two keys on the same keyring by chance do you? Sometimes in that scenario both keys will send the signal and the antenna won't accept it.

3ohh2

Established Member
no other transponder keys on either key ring and both keys have the same starting problem. Because of this, I'm assuming the issue is most likely with the sensor in the ignition that picks up the signal from the key.

Anybody know what to do from here?

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
pretty much anything to do with the PATS system requires the dealership to get involved, as it requires special programming.

3ohh2

Established Member
so there's no way I can just replace the transceiver module and be done with it?

I was under the impression the RF code was stored in the cpu and the module in the ignition just picked up the code?

this sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread