Won't rev past 4800????

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
Looking for some ideas here guys, I'm a long time mustang owner (had 6 of em) but this is my first Terminator, just picked it up a month ago, anyhow the cars only mods are a Bassani Catted X, Flowmaster catback kit and a JLT short ram and 3.400" Billetflow pulley.

I've changed the plugs (NGK TR6) gapped at .032, went over the car with a fine tooth comb, cleaned the MAF etc and I can't figure out what is causing my issue. It goes straight to 10psi and pulls hard til about 4800-5000rpm then it falls flat on its face, literally like a rev limiter. I know I need a handheld so I can optimize the tune and datalog but I don't have the cash right now... any ideas you guys can give me?

I was thinking the coils? maybe the fuel pump? :??::??:

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
Yea, I'm doing that now, but the 3.4" pulley isn't supposed to need a tune. They call it the "no chip pulley" And I really don't think its a matter of the PCM/tune. The more I think about it now the more I'm leaning towards it being a coil. Is there any resources as to how to properly ohm them out and test them??

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
How in the world does one go about diagnosing and proving that? I don't have the cash right now just to drop the tank and replace both of them high dollar pumps ;)

TVSCobra

Established Member
Log it can look closely at the Fuel pump duty cycle and fuel pressure drop. See if the FPDC is hitting 100%. It could be several things causing this, faulty COPs, faulty pumps, a malfunctioning MAF or Fuel rail pressure senor, etc. I would log this car or take it to a trusted tuner, get the 3.4 off of it and put a 2.8 or 2.76 on. Good Luck.

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
Thanks fellas, I know I really need to log it but unfortunately the wife and I are in the middle of buying a home and my play funds are ZILCH! I want to get an SCT Handheld here soon for it so I guess I'll just hold off til I can get a good log and see whats up.

Rice- Already have the 2.76 here on standby ;)

CanuckSnake

Established Member
In the same boat with ya,(started a thread a while ago) I'm waiting for some time to get the tune checked out. Car goes big time lean, I think the MASS is getting confused and shuting off the injectors.

lxhatch302

Established Member
if its hitting a "rev limiter" its the fpdm or fuel pumps....i had the same issue a long time ago and replaced all of it and was fine afterwards...

pretty positive it was the FPDM that crapped out

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
Canucksnake.. Do you have the GT pumps in the stock hat? Does it do it all the time? Chances are you've had a hose come off at the y fitting, and you're only getting fuel from one pump. You'd be wise to drop the tank and have a peek.

For the other fellow, do you have any buddies with Cobras that have a handheld they can lend you? You don't have to marry the handheld to the car to datalog I don't believe.

cobracide

Established Member
Until we get a datalog, everthing is just a guess. Spring for an X3 asap or this could end up costing you a lot more shortly.

04cobra13

Established Member
sounds like a tuning problem. Id get it checked out asap you could be running lean up top. When i deleted my pprv it did the same thing and needed the tune worked out.. GL!

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
I don't have any buddies with an 03 and a handheld, already looked down that path :(

And I can't shell out the $400+ for a tuner at the moment, wish I could! Closing costs on my house just set me back $7k!!!

The car is mostly stock so I can't see it running out of fuel or maxing the MAF, (unless the pumps are bad I guess)

PM sent MJR TRBLE!

CanuckSnake

Established Member
Canucksnake.. Do you have the GT pumps in the stock hat? Does it do it all the time? Chances are you've had a hose come off at the y fitting, and you're only getting fuel from one pump. You'd be wise to drop the tank and have a peek.

For the other fellow, do you have any buddies with Cobras that have a handheld they can lend you? You don't have to marry the handheld to the car to datalog I don't believe.

Thanks! I do have the GT pumps in the stock hat. It started intermittenly now its doing it all the time. I'm trying to get a fuel pressure gauge on it to check for that.

CanuckSnake

Established Member
Fuel pressure is good 35 or so at cruise and it climbs under throttle to 50 or so until it hits the wall at 5000 then pressure climbs even higher. I don't know, hopefully it will snow soon and it can stop bothering me.

Users who are viewing this thread