Wont go into first gear

Sleepinbeauty

Established Member
I recently put the transmission back into my '99 Cobra after rebuilding the engine. I had never driven the car before and the previous owner swears it worked fine; however, I can't get the car to go into first or third. Reverse seems to work. It has an Exedy clutch and I replace the throw out bearing with one that is factory and has a lip wear as the one that was in the crank before it was machined sits flat with the cranks surface. I didn't change anything else. Could there be an issue with the cable or any thing else that would cause this?

Last edited:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
It could be broken shift forks, internal in the trans. Have you driven it? Does it have fluid in it? Are you sure you aligned the clutch properly? Was everything torque evenly? Sounds like you bought a car with a blown engine. What was wrong with the engine? I hope you got an awesome deal, because it sounds like you got screwed. It is hard to tell what is wrong since you don't have any experience with the car.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
is this a T45 transmission or the 3650 ?
Is the engine running when you can't get in to gear ?
You can adjust the clutch cable if it still has the factory quadrant , buy lifting up firmly on the clutch cable , with both hands , and pulling up firmly .

Sleepinbeauty

Established Member
It's a T45. I just panicked because I just rebuilt the engine and started the break-in and I was like all ****, I ****ed up the trans and I'm going to have to take that aggravating mother ****er back out. Luckily, it was the white plastic bushing that the shifter ball end goes in. It had popped out preventing the shifter from going into the forward gears 1,3,5. Thanks for your quick response.

Users who are viewing this thread