Wiring line-lock to trac control button...

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I've read up on this thread:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/679907-how-install-slp-line-lock.html

And saw the write up here for how to wire up to the cruise control switch for the line lock:
Anyone using a linelock kit ? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forums

I've been searching for a while now to find a wiring diagram of the traction control switch. I'd like to find a way to use this button to activate/deactivate the slp line-lock system I'm installing on my car. As with a large majority of fellow enthusiasts I have the traction control turned off in my tune, rendering this certain button useless to me.

I'd like to make it where when I press the traction control switch the light will turn on at the switch and it will activate the line-lock and when I press the button again it will deactivate the line-lock and turn off the light.

My questions are has anyone done this and if not, does anyone have a link to a reliable diagram for me to use?

I know I could just use the current diagrams provided for the cruise control buttons but I have another use in mind for these. I don't want a switch panel, extra switches, etc inside my car. Trying to be sneaky.

Thanks in advance.

Y2k4cobra

Bohemian Bandit II
Established Member
:pop: bump, I'm also looking for this info and I don't want switches all over the place. I wonder I have heard of other people using the old fog light switch 96-98 mustang in the consil where a vert would have the top switch for a line lock. so maybe if there is a way to remove the traction control switch and install a another fog light switch that might work?

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
:pop: bump, I'm also looking for this info and I don't want switches all over the place. I wonder I have heard of other people using the old fog light switch 96-98 mustang in the consil where a vert would have the top switch for a line lock. so maybe if there is a way to remove the traction control switch and install a another fog light switch that might work?

If I can't find a way to tap into the factory switch I'm going to find a simple 2 or 3 wire switch that looks factory. That'll be fun.

black 10th vert

Established Member
This is a fantastic idea. Definitely going to follow this discussion, and hope that someone has done this before, or knows how to at least.;-)

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Found a partial diagram:
TCSwitch01.gif

If you take pin1 and pin2 and use a multimeter to check for a connection it occurs there when you press the button, as a momentary only.

Now my question is if I was to wire this inline with the linelock wiring, what would I need to do to protect the factory switch from frying with that much power going through it?

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
My next question is also this:

If I cut the wires leading to pin1 and pin2, will the ecu continue to read the t/c as being off as done in the tune? Or will it lead to things going haywire for me? Would really hate to fry things if I go and hook this up...

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Also found this explanation of how the t/c button actually works:

On these models the t/c switch is a simple momentary contact push-button that when pressed sends a +12V signal to the instrument cluster, which then communicates with the ABS controller via the SCP (Standard Corporate Protocol) bus. The ABS controller then "toggles" the t/c on or off depending one the existing state.

Y2k4cobra

Bohemian Bandit II
Established Member
Also found this explanation of how the t/c button actually works:

On these models the t/c switch is a simple momentary contact push-button that when pressed sends a +12V signal to the instrument cluster, which then communicates with the ABS controller via the SCP (Standard Corporate Protocol) bus. The ABS controller then "toggles" the t/c on or off depending one the existing state.

So if I'm reading this right, the button doesn't stay on, it just tells the computer and the computer feeds the light on the switch. Now I wonder if we could find another fog light switch which stays on when pressed, and remove the traction control switch and replace it with the extra fog light switch if this would work?

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
I hid a aircraft style switch in my center console that applies power to a relay and then wired the cruise OFF button as the arm switch that switches a relay. Pretty sneaky and can't accidentally be armed.

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
looking at the schematic if you
1) cut out the splice S284 so that power no longer goes to pin 1 only pin 6
2)cut the BK/LB wire that comes out of pin 4 and now wire that to pin 1 of the switch sending power to the switch
3)cut the GY wire pin 2 and send that to your power side of the line lock
4) groung the other wire of the line lock.
the fuse for the circuit is 15amps so the wiring is heavy enough gauge to hold the amperage the line lock needs.
This way the light will still illuminate with the headlamps and the "OFF" lamp will come on when you press the switch. This is a momentary switch and the line lock will turn off when you let go. Like Y2kCobra said if you install another fog lamp switch in the traction control button place it will work as a regular push on push off switch but looking at the fog lamp schematic the fog lamp switch is internally wired alittle different so wiring will be alittle different.
In my opinion a momentary switch is your safest bet.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
looking at the schematic if you
1) cut out the splice S284 so that power no longer goes to pin 1 only pin 6
2)cut the BK/LB wire that comes out of pin 4 and now wire that to pin 1 of the switch sending power to the switch
3)cut the GY wire pin 2 and send that to your power side of the line lock
4) groung the other wire of the line lock.
the fuse for the circuit is 15amps so the wiring is heavy enough gauge to hold the amperage the line lock needs.
This way the light will still illuminate with the headlamps and the "OFF" lamp will come on when you press the switch. This is a momentary switch and the line lock will turn off when you let go. Like Y2kCobra said if you install another fog lamp switch in the traction control button place it will work as a regular push on push off switch but looking at the fog lamp schematic the fog lamp switch is internally wired alittle different so wiring will be alittle different.
In my opinion a momentary switch is your safest bet.

Lol...see this is where I love this site. Exactly the information I was looking for with this thread. Gonna spend some time studying your information and attempt to do a small write-up on this.

Also, I might PM you about the switch you used for the cruise control bypass. I am wanting to use those for another feature at the track.

Users who are viewing this thread