Wiring in GPS

DrTaco

Established Member
Hey all,

Thinking about getting a GPS unit in the car (Garmin 885T). I don't want wires running all over my dash (and my radar dectector is already in the cig lighter), so I was curious on if anyone had any luck wiring their GPS into their car? And if so, where did you tap into?

Thanks in advance guys,
Mark

Tractionless1

Established Member
Get a battery powered unit then. My Garmin 200W lasts 4hrs and can always be quickly plugged in the lighter for a quick power up. Not to mention I can take it on my sportbike without having to worry about converters and wires there as well, and hell you can still use it on foot!!

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
i wired my detector into the fuse box under the dash. i cant remember what fuse i used.

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
Get a battery powered unit then. My Garmin 200W lasts 4hrs and can always be quickly plugged in the lighter for a quick power up. Not to mention I can take it on my sportbike without having to worry about converters and wires there as well, and hell you can still use it on foot!!

Yup, I use my nuvi without the cord until it needs a quick power-up :beer:

futureSVT

Established Member

Tmac01baller

Established Member
Or get one of these:
Kenwood - DNX8120

It has built in Garmin GPS, DVD playback, ipod control and a crap load of other features that you just can't beat. You can watch videos of it on youtube to see it in action. Its amazing. Browse around and you can find it for under $1000. There is also a new unit coming out in May, the DNX 9140, and its supposed to have even more features. Check it out on google. Either way you can't go wrong with this.

DrTaco

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback all! Im going to look into the fuse/good spot for wiring this weekend and let you all know. Otherwise, I'll just be using the battery. Thanks again.

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
Or get one of these:
Kenwood - DNX8120

It has built in Garmin GPS, DVD playback, ipod control and a crap load of other features that you just can't beat. You can watch videos of it on youtube to see it in action. Its amazing. Browse around and you can find it for under $1000. There is also a new unit coming out in May, the DNX 9140, and its supposed to have even more features. Check it out on google. Either way you can't go wrong with this.

Will that unit fit? I thought our cars were only 1 1/2" Dins?

Tmac01baller

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread