Wiring Gurus Need Help

Big Q

Established Member
So I'm cleaning up some things in the car and decided to add a relay to power some accessories like two step etc. I have some 3 post rocker switches that are illuminated and I wanted to check to see how they should be wired? I'm thinking one post is the ground for each switch, the other outside post should be the power received from the accessory post of the relay and the middle would be power wire to the accessory... Is this correct or am I missing something?

Jon82387

Established Member
How many positions can they be flipped??? Just off and on?

If it is just a simple on/off with 3 terminals then 1 terminal will be for a ground wire, the other two will be for power to the accessory you want to turn on, one should be from a fused input wire then the other for out to your accessory.

They should be marked some way or another.... maybe 1 terminal silver the other two bronze??? Silver would be the ground.

Last edited:

Big Q

Established Member
How many positions can they be flipped??? Just off and on?

If it is just a simple on/off with 3 terminals then 1 terminal will be for a ground wire, the other two will be for power to the accessory you want to turn on, one should be from a fused input wire then the other for out to your accessory.

They should be marked some way or another.... maybe 1 terminal silver the other two bronze??? Silver would be the ground.

Yes they are only on/off position. That's kind of what I had in my head just wasn't sure if anything different had to be done since they are led and light up in the on position.

Jon82387

Established Member
If you put the hot wire in the wrong spot the LED will always be on instead of only on when the switch is in the ON position.

Users who are viewing this thread