Wire Shortage from Jump?

Joel Eddmann

Established Member
Hello everyone. I had a very unusual expiernce about a week ago. I had left my lights on for about 9-10 hours so as assumed my battery was dead when I got to my car. I got it jumped from another car and it cranked right up after only charging from the other car for about half a minute. I then unhooked the jumpers and let the car idle for about 5 minutes. I then started to drive, but after about a half mile I felt the car try to die on my while coasting. About another half mile and it tried dying again. I then came to a stop light and once I came to a stop the car completely died on me. I pulled the key out and put it back in and it started right up. The car ran fine for about 2 miles after that and then finally died again once I came to a stop. This time the car would crank, but not start. I was in a situation where I could not get a vehicle to jump my car so I pushed it to a vacant parking lot. At this point my logic was my alertentor went bad after over working thus making my car to continue to die. As a last hope someone came by, AAA, and used a jumper box on my car. After trying several times the car would crank, but not actually start. Shortly after I noticed my odometer read - - - -. I have a SCT tuner and tried to read my vehicle information, but just gave me a general code. I then tried flashing it back to stock, but still got an issue. I had to get my car towed to my mechanic shop. They are still trying to work through it, but they said there is a short somewhere and they are able to jump a few wires to get it to start, but are still trying to find the short. They have had it for a few days now.

Basically what I am getting at is, how possible is it that the jumper box fried my system and caused the short? Should I be more concerned that it is taking serval days for them to find this shortage issue as far as it being a bigger issue then a shortage?

Sorry for the long write-up. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread