winterizing

matsm21

wasting time again?!
Established Member
at what point of not driving a car do you have to consider winterizing it? once a month? once a week? I recently retired my car from DD duty and am wondering if I should winterize it, or if it can just be parked and ran every week or 3.

My94GT

Established Member
just start it up and let it idle for a few min every few days and maybe take it for a drive once a month thats what i do.

im sure theres better things to do though

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
As long as you take it out to empty parking lots every time it snows and go ape shit, you'll be fine :burnout:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Driving the car once a week/month you'll be fine.
If you don't plan on driving it all winter...

Inflate tires to 40 psi or so
Throw some dryer sheets in the interior, trunk, and around the outside of the car
Disconnect battery
Pour some fuel stabilizer in the tank (optional)

That's about it.

matsm21

wasting time again?!
Established Member
cool thanks guys...i'll probably run it once or twice a month at the very least, so I should be ok i guess

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
if your even running every couple weeks, i'd say that minimal prepping would be required. Maybe some Sta-bil or an oil/filter change, but you should be in good shape. When I store my 97, i keep it covered and just start it up once a week to let it run till warm. Then evey couple months i'll take if out for a quick spin if I get an abnormally nice day.

it sounds like you won't be doing any in depth winterizing/storing, so that info as well as everyone elses input should suffice.

freakshow12

Established Member
you should not run it at all! I store my cars every year for 7-8 months. starting them in the cold creates condensation in the engine which leads to moisture in the oil. let it sit, take the battery out, fill the tank right full( odds of condensation in the tank are lower) I also block mine up with the weight still on the suspension but tires off the ground. I have done this for over 10 yrs with my cars and with a oil change first thing in the spring I have no issues.

SVTContique

you should not run it at all! I store my cars every year for 7-8 months. starting them in the cold creates condensation in the engine which leads to moisture in the oil. let it sit, take the battery out, fill the tank right full( odds of condensation in the tank are lower) I also block mine up with the weight still on the suspension but tires off the ground. I have done this for over 10 yrs with my cars and with a oil change first thing in the spring I have no issues.

+1

The heat creates moisture in the Crankcase and is not good for the motor.

DO NOT RUN THE CAR.

If you plan on running it, it needs to be for at least 30 minutes of actual driving.

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
however, one would argue that the longer you wait to start it up, the harder it is on the engine because of the lack of oil. Supposedly, every week or so seems adequate to keep it in good shape.

Or at least that's what i've heard for the 3 years i've been storing my 97 :shrug:

gmaine

Established Member
Add sta-bil to a full tank
Start it every 2-3 weeks and make sure the thermostat opens (1/2 hour at 20F)
Move up and down the driveway to avoid flat spotting the tires
A short burnout in the driveway if I am in the mood
Possible 10 min. drive if the salt has been washed away
Back in the shack
Been doing this for years on my '97, no problems at 46K miles

stangnut

WETAHDED FRICKIN' NOOB
Established Member
Add sta-bil to a full tank
Start it every 2-3 weeks and make sure the thermostat opens (1/2 hour at 20F)
Move up and down the driveway to avoid flat spotting the tires
A short burnout in the driveway if I am in the mood
Possible 10 min. drive if the salt has been washed away
Back in the shack
Been doing this for years on my '97, no problems at 46K miles

except for the burnout:banana:, i'm pretty sure this is what ford recommends in the owners manual!

stangnut

WETAHDED FRICKIN' NOOB
Established Member
i have a 94 toyota truck with about 54,000 miles that i let sit without running for 5 or so months in the winter and in the spring it leaked oil like a sieve, had to have just about all the gaskets replaced. won't gaskets and seals "dry" out if the engine is not run on a regular basis?

matsm21

wasting time again?!
Established Member
thanks for all the input guys...I think i'll try and drive it at least once every two weeks...I don't know if I could wait longer then that anyway!

SVTContique

i have a 94 toyota truck with about 54,000 miles that i let sit without running for 5 or so months in the winter and in the spring it leaked oil like a sieve, had to have just about all the gaskets replaced. won't gaskets and seals "dry" out if the engine is not run on a regular basis?

No. That is just what you get for driving a Toyota.

Users who are viewing this thread