Winter wheels

sm1993svtblk

Established Member
stangbear427 said:
You aren't getting this. Regular Mustang wheels WILL NOT WORK on the front of a '93 Cobra. I'm not being difficult, Ford made it difficult by changing the offsets for this car, moving everything outboard. If it were as simple as putting phonedial 15's on it I wouldn't have started this thread.
Why wouldn't they work. I have ran 16" pony's, 15" 10 holes and every other kind of wheels on my cobras before and had no problems, yeah they might stick out a bit but they do work.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
sm1993svtblk said:
I have ran 16" pony's, 15" 10 holes and every other kind of wheels on my cobras before and had no problems, yeah they might stick out a bit but they do work.

Are you sure you ran 15's on the FRONT ? Do they they clear the brakes ?

hssss

Established Member
Get 88 Tbird Turbocoupe wheels, I think 87s are the same. They are 16" and should have a proper offset. When I had my Cobra in RI driving at 25 straight & level on the interstate it slowly did a 180. Also several times it was stuck at the motel after a snow because it REFUSED to move from it's spot. I took these as a sign and stopped trying to drive it in the snow.

Last edited:

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
when my cobra wheels were stolen, I ran a set of 16" pony's until I got a set of replacement cobra's. had no problems at all, like someone said above "they will stick out a little more", but no rubbing.

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
DAVESVT2000 said:
Are you sure you ran 15's on the FRONT ? Do they they clear the brakes ?

The front brakes on a 93 Cobra are identical in size to the GT/LX 5.0. They use the same diameter rotors and the exact same calipers. The only difference is the hub mounting surface is extended 3/4" on the rotors. With that said, the LX 5.0 came with 15" Ten hole wheels from 1987-1990. They'll definitely fit. ;)

cobr96 said:
when my cobra wheels were stolen, I ran a set of 16" pony's until I got a set of replacement cobra's. had no problems at all, like someone said above "they will stick out a little more", but no rubbing.

I ran pony's on my 88 GT with a turbocoupe rear and 93 Cobra front brakes with no problems for about 6 months.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Like mentioned above.... The 87-88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe wheels will work for you. They have a deeper offset like the 93 Cobra and are a 16" wheel. The wheel is aluminium and looks sorta like a snowflake.

The pony wheels will work on front & rear of a 93 Cobra, they stick out and the front gets very close to the skirts when turning...but they will work in a pinch especially since you are running a shorter 225x50 tire

stangbear427

Established Member
I rolled my 225/50/16 pony wheel up next to my Cobra with the 245/45/17s, and the were the same overall size (diameter). Well, actually the 225/50's were almost an inch taller, but with the weight of the car on them they'd settle and be the same. Regardless, they aren't shorter so that won't help. That so many of you have done it has me thinking I should at least try it... we'll see. If it stops raining, I'll put them on this afternoon and check.

85GTVince

Road Racer
Established Member
The '91-'93 16" Pony wheels will work fine with a 225 (or narrower) tire. The '87-'88 Turbo Coupe wheels will also work and they are 16". The TC wheels also have more offset than the Pony wheels, but I am not sure exactly how much. The '85-'93 10-Holes will also work with a 225 (or narrower) tire, but you said that you don't want a 15" wheel.

--- Vince

stangbear427

Established Member
I already have tires for the 16's. If the Turbo Coupe wheels are 16's, I'll probably try to hunt some down for winter wheels, if the offset will still work. You mean more offset than the pony wheels as in stick even farther out, or more like the Cobra wheels and tucked farther in?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Just buy some LX/GT front rotors and swap them when you put on the winter wheels/tires.
A rotor swap is not that difficult and is your best bet (and cheapest) to get the choices available for regular mustangs.
If this was 5 years ago I had a nice set of TC wheels just laying around---I think I gave them away.
Good luck, J

PJM99

Established Member
None of my business, but if your budget increases and you need a storage spot I got room for one car in my place right next to my two Cobras. I'm right in central CT. I also know of a few other people that are renting out storage space.

Oh and just my $.02, I'm putting a set of 10 holes on my car as temp wheels while I refinish the original wheels. I've heard the fit with no problems.

stangbear427

Established Member
Thanks for the offer. I have two sets of Ponys, so right now I'm going to cross my fingers and hope I can be winter ready for free. Soon as I get over to my parents house, where the jack and lug wrench are...

stangbear427

Established Member
Ugh! I didn't realise how much I liked the Cobra wheels until I put ponys on it. Man, this blows. Better than buying new snow tires though. They do work fine, for the most part. Plenty of room on the fronts, but on real hard corners I can get some scrubbing from the rears. Won't be a problem once I get my panhard in, I'll just take it easy till then. Thanks for all the replies.

sm1993svtblk

Established Member
biminiLX said:
Just buy some LX/GT front rotors and swap them when you put on the winter wheels/tires.
A rotor swap is not that difficult and is your best bet (and cheapest) to get the choices available for regular mustangs.
If this was 5 years ago I had a nice set of TC wheels just laying around---I think I gave them away.
Good luck, J
Why change your rotors out when you could just bolt them up and work fine especially for just winter wheels???

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
sm1993svtblk said:
Why change your rotors out when you could just bolt them up and work fine especially for just winter wheels???
That was my suggestion if the Pony's didn't fit right. I guess at stock ride height, the 3/4" wider track of the Cobra doesn't matter. My point was that if he was trying to make a normal 5.0 wheel work, the only change necessary would be a rotor swap.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread