Winter wheels

stangbear427

Established Member
Unfortunately, storing my Cobra for winter isn't an option for me and we do get snow here. So, I'm forced to resort to snow tires. It's never been a problem with my Mustangs, but this one is a bit of a special case with the f'd up '93 Cobra offsets. First of all, I've priced 17" snow tires. Hell no. I've had fantastic luck with the V rated 225/50 16 Hankook Ice bears on my Pony wheels on my other 5.0's, but due to the wider front track on my Cobra, I'm lead to believe I can't just bolt those wheels on it and expect them to clear the front fenders. So for those of you who
A. Drive your '93 Cobra in winter
B. still have the factory offset/brakes arrangement
C. change to 16" wheels for winter

What are my options? I was wondering if the 16" steel wheels from the SSV/police Crown Vics would bolt up and clear the brakes. Or something along those lines. Something that isn't going to break my bank. Ultimately, I'd rather take the punch now for a set of 16's that will fit than pay the extra $100+ every other year for a new set of 17" snow tires. Any suggestions?

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
I know you can use a set of 15" LX 10 hole wheels for the rear, i had a set of slicks mounted on them and they fit just fine. I would think the fronts would be ok too?

stangbear427

Established Member
Nope. I'm not stepping down to 15's, the sidewall is just too huge for me to live with. Besides, the problem is the fronts- picture where your front tire would be if it stuck out another 3/4". There just isn't clearance for regular stang offsets without changing rotors, etc.

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
Ok well you do realize bigger sidewall is what will help you with the snow and the fronts would be 225 (or smaller, it's a 7" rim) vs 245, but do what you want. If it was me and i couldn't store it, i would park the car where it sits, cover it and pick up a beater for whatever amount you were prepared to spend on tires/rims. The car might not be that reliable at that price, but rusting out your cobra is going to kill the car and any future value it may have.

If NE is like MN, we use TONS of salt on the roads in the winter and I would rather take the bus than drive my cobra through that stuff. Just my .02

stangbear427

Established Member
No, we don't get much, but it does happen. I fully understand about the sidewall, but like I said- I've had no problems at all with a 225/50/16 in 4" of snow, so there's no way I'm going any bigger on the sidewall. I'd never buy a 245 snow tire, even if I could find one. I already have the tires. What I want is a cheap 16" rim in the correct offset, and I'm not even sure what that is.

stangbear427

Established Member
I have one, a '91 AWD Subie Legacy 5spd wagon. It's at my boss's house, because I'm only allowed two cars where I live (my Cobra, and the wife's LX). I have no place to store the Cobra for the winter, or I may consider it. And no, there's isn't a snowflakes chance in hell that I'm storing the Cobra at my boss's house where the beater is. It's only there because it's just that: a pos beater. Truth is, that avenue has been exhaustively investigated. What I need are 16" wheels (which I don't have) with snow tires (which I do). Of course, doing a simple five lug conversion would solve this problem, but then I wouldn't be able to use the stock Cobra wheels any more, which have really grown on me since I bought it.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
Sorry I can't help you on the winter wheel/tire combo. I am running into a similar situation as yourself. Too many cars and not enough room. I am going to put one of my stangs in storage for a bit. Have you considered storing your car for the winter and keeping the beater at your home?

Kevins89notch

Established Member
stangbear427 said:
I have no place to store the Cobra for the winter, or I may consider it.

You can't find a storage unit for $100 a month? How about a relatives place? Maybe post up on a local board and see if a fellow stanger has some extra room if you toss him some money?

I'm sorry, but driving a 93 Cobra in the snow is uncalled for.

stangbear427

Established Member
Kevins89notch said:
You can't find a storage unit for $100 a month? How about a relatives place? Maybe post up on a local board and see if a fellow stanger has some extra room if you toss him some money?

I'm sorry, but driving a 93 Cobra in the snow is uncalled for.
Let me get this straight, when I'm already saying money is tight, you suggest I spend another $100 to not drive my car? For the last time, NO.
UWISSSH said:
Is this guy spamming? he's too negligent if he's not,.
scootro said:
:shrug: :bash:
Spamming? Listen smart asses- this car is a driver. It has over 100,000 miles on it and it's been wrecked, I never would have bought it if it didn't because I knew I was going to DRIVE it. EVERY DAY. I hate my job, and driving my Mustangs for the last decade is all that's kept me sane. I look forward to the drive to work, and I look forward to the drive home. I'm not going to put away my car and spend hundreds of dollars to deprive myself of it for the few times a winter we get snow. There is no reason for it to be a problem, my father has been driving the same vehicle every day in snow, sand and salt every winter for as long as I can remember and there isn't a spot of rust on it. If you know how to take care of a car, it doesn't matter that it sees the elements. I don't care if you don't like it, and your opinion is off topic. I didn't ask. I only posted it thinking with all these Cobra owners someone should know what wheels fit. If this is all the knowledge there is on the matter here, I'll go try the 110,000+ members of stangnet where I've been established for years and given thousands of tech posts, and maybe in two days someone will deign to give me the information I actually asked for instead of moral critique bullshit.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Check www.craigslist.com and click on what state you are in. Then look under auto parts and type in Mustang. I have had excellent luck in finding wheels tires on this site, for not only my vehicles but friends cars also.. For example, here is an ad for 17 inch snow tires I just saw for you http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/pts/239338684.html (And no they're not mine, just pointing out how easy it is to find something on the site)

I would assume there would be plenty of 16 inch mustang wheels on there from 91 - 93 cars.. Check all the NE states around you and be willing to meet up with someone to save on shipping.

Glad you enjoy driving your car year round. It's true, we do only get X number of days with snow, most of the time the roads aren't that bad. And as you said, yes salt/sand is a nusance, but if you wash the car faithfully, it is possible to keep it clean, even in winter.

Last edited:

stangbear427

Established Member
Thanks Dave, I didn't know about that site. I wouldn't have thought of used tires, but if the example you posted was closer to me it would be worth just getting those. I've actually got lots of 16" mustang wheels, just not with the right (Cobra) backspacing. It seems like there must be some other Ford vehicle with a wheel that will fit on this car without modifying anything... but I'm not coming up with much. My panhard will take care of the rear, but I really don't feel like changing front rotors and hats every season so I can use regular pony wheels in front unless I have to.

stangbear427

Established Member
mofugr said:
Snow tires? That's foreign to me, I guess that's why I live in Florida. Oh, and I know, I'm a dick. lol
:( I'm jealous. Yes, a move to Florida would solve all my problems. Well, if I could support myself there it would...

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
stangbear427 said:
I've actually got lots of 16" mustang wheels, just not with the right (Cobra) backspacing.

Ah, I forgot that point, that our cars have unique backspacing. Sorry bout that. And the new replica wheels on eBay have the GT/LX backspacing, not our specs.

Might just have to go with the tires, and mount/dismount them every season..

scootro

Established Member
stangbear427 said:
Let me get this straight, when I'm already saying money is tight, you suggest I spend another $100 to not drive my car? For the last time, NO.

Spamming? Listen smart asses- this car is a driver. It has over 100,000 miles on it and it's been wrecked, I never would have bought it if it didn't because I knew I was going to DRIVE it. EVERY DAY. I hate my job, and driving my Mustangs for the last decade is all that's kept me sane. I look forward to the drive to work, and I look forward to the drive home. I'm not going to put away my car and spend hundreds of dollars to deprive myself of it for the few times a winter we get snow. There is no reason for it to be a problem, my father has been driving the same vehicle every day in snow, sand and salt every winter for as long as I can remember and there isn't a spot of rust on it. If you know how to take care of a car, it doesn't matter that it sees the elements. I don't care if you don't like it, and your opinion is off topic. I didn't ask. I only posted it thinking with all these Cobra owners someone should know what wheels fit. If this is all the knowledge there is on the matter here, I'll go try the 110,000+ members of stangnet where I've been established for years and given thousands of tech posts, and maybe in two days someone will deign to give me the information I actually asked for instead of moral critique bullshit.

Its obvious that some people here have tried to help you but your being difficult on the subject of rim and tire choice’s. Get some 10 hole rims and some cheap snow tires and be done with it. I’m sure a couple of months of driving on that setup won’t kill the looks of the car.

Also you have to understand us 93’ cobra owners hear snow and driving in the same sentence makes us a little nervous, but hey its your car do what you want with it. If your happy driving the stang in style to work everyday than that’s all good. Props to ya!!!

Your friend,
The smart ass.;-)

stangbear427

Established Member
You aren't getting this. Regular Mustang wheels WILL NOT WORK on the front of a '93 Cobra. I'm not being difficult, Ford made it difficult by changing the offsets for this car, moving everything outboard. If it were as simple as putting phonedial 15's on it I wouldn't have started this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread