Winter wheels/tires for 2012

tasdevl

Established Member
With the temp headed downward quickly in the DC area I'm looking for a good winter wheel/tire combo (daily driver, so have to be ready for anything). The charcoal AMR wheels from American Muscle seem like a good deal in either the 18s or 19s - is anyone running them with winter tires? Trying to find a reasonably priced winter wheel/tire combo, and I'm having a hard time figuring out what fits and makes sense in terms of width on the GT500. Any suggestions (other than go get a beater car instead) would be much appreciated! :thumbsup:

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
If you want beater wheels for the winter there are many 07-09 wheels out there for super cheap. Grab a set and get some nice winter tires

shelbysvt

Established Member
I'm putting 255/40 and 285/35 pirelle sottozero gen 2 tires on my stock rims next week.

My good years are spinning at lights now in the early mornings. And it's even colder by the time I go home.

san6279

Established Member
I'm putting 255/40 and 285/35 pirelle sottozero gen 2 tires on my stock rims next week.

My good years are spinning at lights now in the early mornings. And it's even colder by the time I go home.

If I was using the stock wheels for winter this is the exact route I would have gone. Had the same Pirellis on my last ride and they worked great.

shelbysvt

Established Member
If I was using the stock wheels for winter this is the exact route I would have gone. Had the same Pirellis on my last ride and they worked great.

Did they work well in the snow too?? lol. Even though I probably won't actually drive the car on a day it is snowing or salt on the road.

But just in case I get caught in a snow storm I am curious since I have had an issue happen where I went into a movie for example, and 3 hours later 2 inches of snow on the ground with ice mixed in.

How come you aren't using stock rims? I'm only using them since I have alcoas now for summer rims.

williamwally

Established Member
Did they work well in the snow too?? lol. Even though I probably won't actually drive the car on a day it is snowing or salt on the road.

+1?

I am looking to pickup an '11 GT500 SVT with worn out, stock tires this weekend.

I was looking at a similar winter setup on the stock svt wheels, Pirelli Sotto series 2, 255/40r19 front, but I would like to know what everyone would recommend for the rears:

Either the stock size 285/35/20, or 255/40/20 's?

I figure the latter would be best in snow/slush/rain, however being that I live and work in downtown Chicago, it would not be a daily driver and I wouldn't really need (or plan on) driving when there is any real accumulation of snow on the ground.
So would the extra traction of the 285 on cold dry pavement be worth the trade-off vs better rain/snow/slush traction of the 255?
:??:

P.S. I would ideally want 265/40R20 but they are back-ordered and not looking to be in any time soon.

shelbysvt

Established Member
+1?

I am looking to pickup an '11 GT500 SVT with worn out, stock tires this weekend.

I was looking at a similar winter setup on the stock svt wheels, Pirelli Sotto series 2, 255/40r19 front, but I would like to know what everyone would recommend for the rears:

Either the stock size 285/35/20, or 255/40/20 's?

I figure the latter would be best in snow/slush/rain, however being that I live and work in downtown Chicago, it would not be a daily driver and I wouldn't really need (or plan on) driving when there is any real accumulation of snow on the ground.
So would the extra traction of the 285 on cold dry pavement be worth the trade-off vs better rain/snow/slush traction of the 255?
:??:

P.S. I would ideally want 265/40R20 but they are back-ordered and not looking to be in any time soon.

You can fit a 255 on the rear???. I would just stick with stock rear size. Thats what the SVT manual says to do as well. It says use a 255/40 up front as well.

williamwally

Established Member
You can fit a 255 on the rear???. I would just stick with stock rear size. Thats what the SVT manual says to do as well. It says use a 255/40 up front as well.

Well the tire rack guy said a 255 will fit on a 9.5" wheel, but he also first recommended 255/35/20 on the rear.... :dw:

Sounds like the 285's it is!
Thanks
:beer:

MarkFJ40

Established Member
I got four of these when I bought my car from the previous owner.
Nokian WRG2
255/40/19
He put them on for driving through the mountains in the fall/spring in case he got caught in a snow storm.

tasdevl

Established Member
shelbysvt, is that on stock wheels or SVTPP wheels? I've always done a spare set of wheels/tires in the past, but it adds up to small fortune with all the wheels and TPMS sensors, makes the idea of just changing them out twice a year more financially appealing in the short term.

san6279

Established Member

But just in case I get caught in a snow storm I am curious since I have had an issue happen where I went into a movie for example, and 3 hours later 2 inches of snow on the ground with ice mixed in.

How come you aren't using stock rims? I'm only using them since I have alcoas now for summer rims.

We got hit pretty hard here last winter with snow (for Seattle) and the tires worked great on my RWD 335i. They are a performance winter tire so not as aggressive as some, but for Seattle they were great. Would recommend especially if you are normally going to be driving a different car on most snow days.

Not using stock rims because 1) I want to minimize the number of mountings as I've had bad experiences with wheels getting scratched (slight case of OCD with my cars in general - just ask the wife) and 2) to minimize scratches, etc that are more likely to occur with winter road conditions.

farmrig650

Established Member
I bought some 19" gt500 replica wheels with general tire gmax tires, Im really impressed with the traction in the wet, I would not track these tires but for spirited daily driving their good. got them from american muscle for about 1700, considering new tires alone would cost that, thought it was a good deal.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
There are a bunch of the OEM Goodyear F1's for sale from owners upgrading rubber. I agree with Zporta about buying OEM 07-09 wheels as there are many out there.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I would think a skinnier tire in the back would be better for winter traction when the roads are not dry. This would increase your pounds per square inch on your contact patch and keep you from floating above the slush and snow.

tasdevl

Established Member
So I decided on a set of 18x9.5 FRPP wheels on all four corners (cheap for a set of four), but now thinking about tires - I calculated that the outer diameter of 275/45/18's almost perfectly matches the outer diameter of the 285/35/20's currently on the rear, but wondering if 275/45/18's on the front as well would rub? Would prefer to have the ability to rotate them, but can't find any mention of others running that size in the front.

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
I have blizzaks on my stock brembo wheels. 255/40/19. Work like a champ and I rotate them every 3k so they wear better. Snow tires get chopped up really easy on pavement.

san6279

Established Member
So I decided on a set of 18x9.5 FRPP wheels on all four corners (cheap for a set of four), but now thinking about tires - I calculated that the outer diameter of 275/45/18's almost perfectly matches the outer diameter of the 285/35/20's currently on the rear, but wondering if 275/45/18's on the front as well would rub? Would prefer to have the ability to rotate them, but can't find any mention of others running that size in the front.

275 in the front for wet and possibly some light snow duty?...hmm, not sure I would recommend that. I would go 265 or skinnier in the front.

Users who are viewing this thread