Winter washing

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
What do you guys do about washing your car in winter months. In the past, I've taken the bucket of water in the house and fill it with WARM water, but my hands end up getting freezing cold anyways.

What do you guys do about washing your cars cause mine if nasty right now (raining off and on) - I want to clean it up, but hate washing my car in the cold.

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
I get hottest water I can. Then keep my other hand dry. I'm thinking about getting neopreme water proof gloves.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
kxt said:
I'm thinking about getting neopreme water proof gloves.

Ahhhhh.....good idea....

I know one problem I have from time to time is the water freezing on the car....lol.

StanDaman

Established Member
I have no problem washing my car in the winter I have a heated garage that drains into the street with a radio bathroom and all so i just turn on the heat and go to work and when its fully dried Ill take it outside. :)

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
StanDaman said:
I have no problem washing my car in the winter I have a heated garage that drains into the street with a radio bathroom and all so i just turn on the heat and go to work and when its fully dried Ill take it outside. :)

Rub it in! I'm in your neck of the woods. We should all just gather at your place to clean cars. We will bring the beer and Pizza you supply the warm Garage! LOL

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
StanDaman said:

:lol:
SHUT-UP :cuss:

kidding - when we build a house, I think I'm gonna have to do something along those lines.

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
the key

The key is to use 2 buckets. If you dont use 2 buckets you are just rubbing water that has dirt in it back onto your paint and that is what causes swirl marks.

One bucket is pure water the other is soap and water. when ever you go to get more soap, always rinse the mitt around in the pure water bucket first to try and get any contaminates off the mitt frist, than get your clean soap. Gloves work well to keep your hands warm when washing in cold weather too.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
anothersvtguy said:
The key is to use 2 buckets. If you dont use 2 buckets you are just rubbing water that has dirt in it back onto your paint and that is what causes swirl marks.

One bucket is pure water the other is soap and water. when ever you go to get more soap, always rinse the mitt around in the pure water bucket first to try and get any contaminates off the mitt frist, than get your clean soap.

uh - what's that got to do with washing your car in the cold? lol. I apologize if I missed something....but what?

anothersvtguy said:
Gloves work well to keep your hands warm when washing in cold weather too.

yeah, that I understand :thumbsup:

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
oh nuthin

Oh nuthin :D

Just my 2cents about car washing in general. I over at a buddys last week and he was using a 1 bucket to wash his car. I was giving him a hard time about it and he said he never heard of using 2 buckets to wash. Sorry if that was old news for ya.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
anothersvtguy said:
Oh nuthin :D

Just my 2cents about car washing in general. I over at a buddys last week and he was using a 1 bucket to wash his car. I was giving him a hard time about it and he said he never heard of using 2 buckets to wash. Sorry if that was old news for ya.

Na - you're cool. I knew it - but was thinking "am I missing the trick here?"

lol

CobraKalas

Established Member
ah u guys, just tough it out!, i washed my car this morning it was bout 40 degrees or so, and im SOOO glad i did, i hadnt washed it in a few weeks probably a month with on and off rain so it had waterspots out the wang. but apparently its not supposed to rain now til friday and somehow have high's in the mid to low 60's so im pretty excited about that!

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Did you guys know that as an interesting quirk of physics hot water freezes faster than cold water? I saw a guy freeze over his windshield trying to get th frost off by pouring on hot water!

In the winter I usually just take my car to the coin-op spray and wash. There's one near me that actually has garage doors you can pull down to cut down on the wind but it's not heated unfortunately.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I hate getting into the winter time. Top doesn't come down very often. I still have to winterize the boat -- no skiing until next spring. Just put the cover on the pool. It was 28degF last night!! And I don't like taking my car to automatic car washes since it's a rag top. So I just tough it out by hand. I have to try the two bucket method. I only use warm water though. I don't like the sound of putting extremely hot water on a cold windshield.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
REX-RACER said:
In the winter I usually just take my car to the coin-op spray and wash. There's one near me that actually has garage doors you can pull down to cut down on the wind but it's not heated unfortunately.
that is exactly what i do! pull down doors and all. then i just drive it to my work and let it sit in the heated bays. works great! :thumbsup:

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
For ya'll guys that wash inside how do you keep the spray from getting all over the walls.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
kxt said:
For ya'll guys that wash inside how do you keep the spray from getting all over the walls.
i was wondering this too. and how to keep everything else in the garage like lawn mower, shelves, tools, etc. from getting wet too?

New Edge

Screaming 2.2!
Established Member
1. Get a bigger garage
2. Don't spray it so hard, just lightly run the water over it and you can keep it within at least three feet on all sides

Users who are viewing this thread