Winter Tires

jarofgreatness

Established Member
sadly, I cannot afford a winter car this year. I live in the chicago area, so snow will be an issue. I am thinking of getting some thinner wheels, and some winter tires to use over the winter. Anyone have any recommendations?

YELOSNK

Established Member
Michelin X-Ice has gotten some pretty slick reviews and is likely going to be the snow tire I go for. Either that or get a sport snow tire like the Dunlop Winter Sport M3

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
Don't even think twice:

Bridgestone Blizzack WS-50, 225/50/17 on all 4.

I GUARANTEE you will not be dissapointed.

Any Blizzack tire you're generally going to be happy with but if you're seeing alot of snow in Chi-town this tire owns everything.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+WS-50

I haven't seen the tire above but I'm assuming its a "performance" winter tire which is fine. I just know guys that use the WS-50's on their mustangs and they handle better than a jeep in the snow. It's ridiculous. (And sadly DISCOUNT TIRE doesn't carry them! Ahem making me go with Tirerack.....)

Last edited:

BlueVenom01

Established Member
got some winter tires...

I have a set of 4 brand new, never mounted Blizzaks if you are interested. I believe they are 225/50/16's, but I will check for sure on the size...I was going to use them on my 99 GT until I sold it. They still have the stickers on them...I have a winter car, so the Cobra goes into hibernation for the winter. PM me and we can work out a price if you are interested...I'm in Peoria, so I'm not too far down the road..

YELOSNK

Established Member
TripleBlack95 said:
Don't even think twice:

Bridgestone Blizzack WS-50, 225/50/17 on all 4.

I GUARANTEE you will not be dissapointed.

Any Blizzack tire you're generally going to be happy with but if you're seeing alot of snow in Chi-town this tire owns everything.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+WS-50

I haven't seen the tire above but I'm assuming its a "performance" winter tire which is fine. I just know guys that use the WS-50's on their mustangs and they handle better than a jeep in the snow. It's ridiculous. (And sadly DISCOUNT TIRE doesn't carry them! Ahem making me go with Tirerack.....)

I've read from multiple sources that the X-Ice is better than the WS-50.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
If you can, pick up a set of cheap wheels for the winter tires.

The snow, road salts and especially mag chloride (if chicago uses it) can destroy the finish on wheels really quickly.

YELOSNK

Established Member
Torch10th said:
If you can, pick up a set of cheap wheels for the winter tires.

The snow, road salts and especially mag chloride (if chicago uses it) can destroy the finish on wheels really quickly.

That is what I'm doing. I'm currently trying to pick up a cheapo set of '98 GT rims that are for sale on eBay.

firstbite

Kid Rock
Established Member
I live in IL, and had to suffer through the winter with my cobra, I used Dunlop Graspic DS-1s on the stock wheels, and it made the car totally driveable. I have since then got a winter vehicle, Jeep GC, me likey 4WD. Dunlops were cheap and worked great:banana:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
BlueVenom01 said:
I have a set of 4 brand new, never mounted Blizzaks if you are interested. I believe they are 225/50/16's, but I will check for sure on the size...I was going to use them on my 99 GT until I sold it. They still have the stickers on them...I have a winter car, so the Cobra goes into hibernation for the winter. PM me and we can work out a price if you are interested...I'm in Peoria, so I'm not too far down the road..

can't run 16" wheels on the front of a cobra...LOL

BlueVenom01

Established Member
quick01snake said:
can't run 16" wheels on the front of a cobra...LOL

Yeah I guess the brakes would get in the way.....thanks for pointing that out - I must have been brain farting when I was typing..

YELOSNK

Established Member
jarofgreatness said:
what size wheels should I get? I am horible at figuring out size numbers.

17x8 with 225/50/17 tires. I say 8 mostly because that is what stock GT rims are, but anything from 7.5-8.5 (stock pre-03 cobra rims are 8.5) should fit 225 tires just fine.

Last edited:

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
Yeah YELO I checked out those X-Ice tires, got damn good ratings too online.

If I didn't have a new set of blizzacks in the house I might just try them. Oh well next time.

mijon61

Established Member
I have used Dunlop Winter Sport M3 245/17 for the last 3 winters. Grip like crazy. If they made em in 285 width I'd use them as a summer tire. Blizzaks felt "mushy" or soft and had no discernable advantage traction wise.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Get a set of drag radials on all four corners. That way the car will be totally undriveable and you will have to ride your ten speed to work.... and park the car in the garage for winter!!!!

JK... just had to say it. I just moved from that area and I know what you mean. I never drove either Cobra in the white stuff, but I did drive my 91 GT for two straight winters. Get a good set of tires like these guys are suggesting and a spare set of rims. Keep your spare change around and wash the car often!!!!

stangin99

Established Member
Nokian Hakkapelittas(sp?) are the BEST snow tires hands down.

If you can't find them, go for Blizzaks.

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
boo

Driving the Cobra in the snow and salt! :eek:

Pickup a Honda civic or something for $1500 or so. The money you save on car insurance should probably cover your monthly payment over the winter too.

YELOSNK

Established Member
stangin99 said:
Nokian Hakkapelittas(sp?) are the BEST snow tires hands down.

If you can't find them, go for Blizzaks.

Here, this is from Aftonbladet, a Swedish newspaper that does the largest snow tire test in the world:

"Reviews say the Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi is a high quality non-studded tire, with excellent ice braking and acceleration, aw well as very good snow traction. The Nokian also rides a bit better and is quieter than some other winter tires. The one area where the Nokian does not excel is on wet asphalt, where it is more prone to hydroplaning than others.

The Michelin X-Ice replaced Michelin's popular Arctic Alpin series last year and has since received excellent reviews overall. Editors at Aftonbladet say the X-Ice really has no serious drawbacks, with very good ice and snow traction. Testers say the Michelin X-Ice is a very predictable tire, which means handlng is controlled and calm. As with the Nokian, the Michelin is best for harsh winters; it doesn't do as well on wet and dry asphalt, where it can be prone to hydroplaning.

If your winters are not particularly harsh, the Viking Snow Tech (*est. $45) is a good choice, according to reviews. While its snow and ice performance can't match the Michelin X-Ice or Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi, the Viking excels on wet and dry pavement, and it better resists hydroplaning. It also rides better and is quieter than other tires. If your winters are not too extreme, the Snow Tech is a good budget choice. The Viking is marketed in the U.S. by Continental. "

And later in the article it claims the X-Ice as being better than the Hakks overall. I still haven't decided 100% which tires I'm going to buy. In all honestly, based on the last few winters, I probably don't need the X-Ice or Hakks where I live, but I still am not sure.

anothersvtguy said:
Driving the Cobra in the snow and salt! :eek:

Pickup a Honda civic or something for $1500 or so. The money you save on car insurance should probably cover your monthly payment over the winter too.

I honestly wish I could, but I still owe my parents $1500 on the Cobra and they pay for my college, so if they don't want me using a beater car because it is "unsafe," than my beloved Cobra is just going to have to suffer the salt. :(

Luckily, my winter driving consists of no more than driving to work 10 minutes away 2-3 times a week and occassionally driving to my parents' house 15 minutes away.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread