Winter Tires/Wheels on an '04 SVT Focus

96S/Cobra

Established Member
My gf has an '04 svt focus and I am trying to figure out what to do about the tires/wheels for winter (the tires that are on the car are a performance tire and are NOT going to be good for the snow). We "can" get a fair amount of snow around here in the winter (not nearly as some of you guys I'm sure though) and I am trying to see if another size wheel can/will fit on her car.

Winter tires are somewhat expensive for the 17" wheels that are on the car. Can you put a 15" wheel on it? Is that a bad idea? I will be the first to admit I don't know all of the exact specs on the car yet (she hasn't had it for too long) Are the front brakes 13"? So would a 15" wheel fit or would it need to be a 16" wheel to clear the brakes. Can I just buy some cheap wheels from a junk yard from a regular focus? Is the bolt pattern the same?

Thanks for all the help.

jasonpalamar

Established Member
Get a set of All-Seasons. Where you live they will benifit alot more then you think. Its an awsome trade off for a DD. I like the new Conti DWS and the Potenza960AS. Used both on my GTO and it is my DD. Make it to work in the snow and everything.

As far as rims, not sure what exactly fits on the SVTf anymore though. But you can probally get some cheap rims from somwhere.

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
When I owned my '04 SVTF, I had a set of 16" ASA Aluminum rims w/ Blizzaks from Tire Rack. They worked out perfect, but that doesn't necessarily mean ALL 16" rims will clear the front brakes. Check before you buy.

I just bought a set of 17" aluminum rims w/ Dunlop winter tires for my Cobalt SS from Tire Rack. It also comes from the factory w/ the same Summer Performance Conti's. Winter is just about here...:(

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
All Focus, Contour, Mystique and 99-02 Cougar 16's will work on the SVT and they're fairly common and easy to find used.

All seasons work fairly well but if you want a good cheap ice/snow tire take a look at the Firestone Winterforce.

As for sizes, if you stay with 17"s just use the stock 215-45-17. I ran Dunlop Graspics in that size and I drove away from a four wheel drive Dodge Dakota on glare ice.

On 16's just run a 205-50-16 as it'll keep your speedo close to accurate and they're fairly easy to find.

I'm running Focus fat sixes with 205-50-16 Fuzion HRi's (they came on the rims) and they work reasonably well but I'm going to try to pick up a new set of snows for next year.

P1010215.gif

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
there are only like 2-3 specific wheels that will clear the front SVT brakes and they are VERY rare.

98% of all 16 inch wheels will fit the front SVT brakes, as long as they are 4x108 bolt pattern with a high offset.

I would go with a good set of all season tires, as snow tires will wear out VERY quickly if they arent used in snow.

Users who are viewing this thread