Winter storing check list

Duncan4169

SVT Poster
Established Member
I live in Canada so I have to park my car for winter in 2 weeks or less. Does anyone have a good storing check list of things they do ?

Draiter

Established Member
You are parking it in less than two weeks? wow..
This is what I do...
1. Over inflate the tires to about 45 psi... Helps to avoid flat spots
2. Park the car on pieces of carpet or wood as the cement in the garage floor had chemicals in it that can affect the tires.
3. Run stabilizer in the tank for 1/2 tank before parking, then fill up the tank and put more stabilizer in it.
4. Change the oil and filter on the day you park it, then run for a few minutes to circulate new oil. Changing the oil removes the acids that are a byproduct of combustion and doesn't allow them to sit in the engine and pan all winter.
5. Pull the fuse for the fuel pumps on the day you park it, and then start the car and let it run till it dies. Removes the pressure in the fuel lines.
6. Get a battery maintainer and hook it up for the whole winter. Crappy tire sells a motomaster version that is quite good.
7. Wash and dry the entire car and clean interior.
8. Optional. Start the car every week or so and let it reach operating temperature to burn off any condensation in the oil....and to remind yourself what you have to look forward to in the spring.
9. In the spring, don't forget to deflate the tires to the proper psi.

If I can remember anything else I'll post back....
Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Tonyalaskarms

Harley Rider
Established Member
Also depending on what type of climate you store it, I would make sure and spray Poison all the way around the car and make sure and put rat poison in the same building. I Have seen rats and ants do some real damage to stored vehicles.:idea:

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
Tip, don't use the factory cover. Leave it in the box. We got one as well, it is NOT a nice cover, it's not lined at all. Pick yourself up a nice lined cover and just store the factory one somewhere.

Draiter that's a pretty awesome and comprehensive list!

cbrmuscle

Established Member
That list, while certainly complete, is a bit of overkill IMO. Clean your baby, run some stabilizer in the tank, inflate tires to their max rated psi, and add a trickle charger. Has worked for me for 5 years in -40 degree winters with a non-heated garage. Doesn't get much worse than that!

zr1gerhardt

You can't outrun ugly!
Established Member
Winter, what is that?

Is that when the high temp is only 70F?

I love living in the South.

In any event, make sure it is parked in a manner (since it will sit there like that for a long time) where you can get the snow blower in and out without running the risk of hitting the car (or kids with their bikes and sleds).

Scott

libref

Established Member
That's a great list Draiter,

I live in Canada as well and will be taking delivery in October (fingers crossed) so I'll
have a few weeks of driving before I need to store the vehicle for the winter.

The only question I have is about point #5; I've read that starving-out these engines is a practice that is discouraged as it can negatively impact fuel components and cause ECM/PCM issues. Not confirmed, just what I've read.

Draiter

Established Member
That's a great list Draiter,

I live in Canada as well and will be taking delivery in October (fingers crossed) so I'll
have a few weeks of driving before I need to store the vehicle for the winter.

The only question I have is about point #5; I've read that starving-out these engines is a practice that is discouraged as it can negatively impact fuel components and cause ECM/PCM issues. Not confirmed, just what I've read.

Nahhhh, it won't hurt the system at all. I have been doing it for years, in my corvette and SRT8.... Just make sure that when you start it up in the spring, or start it up over the winter you cycle the system once (on-off-start). That will prime the system and you'll be just fine.

Another thing, I used to do with my motorcycle, when I stored it up north at my folks place in their shed - steel wool in the exhaust pipes so that mice and what not can't get into your exhaust.....

03 VENOM

Established Member
Not sure but I think fuel stabil caused my 03 to run shitty. I'm not gonna use it this winter. I'm gonna start it more often.

Draiter

Established Member
Yes, it will cause it to run shitty, for that tank anyhow. But, that is better than the gas gumming up everything.. Seafoam has the same effect as a dedicated fuel stabilizer....

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
My folks still live up north (Chicago) and they park their Boxster inside on jack-stands all winter to keep the weight off the tires.

Good points on the fuel stabilizer and fresh oil change. Full tank of gas before parking will help avoid condensation in the tank as well.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Someone should start a thread for people who store cars during the summer when it's 100+ degrees from June through September. Hate driving in that heat. No fun at all. If I ever stop coming up with excuses and actually BUY a car it won't be coming out in the Vegas summers.

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
Here is what I do:

Wash and wax the car, clean interior. Two cans of coffee grinds or baking soda to manage any other moisture or smells.

Change oil, run for a few minutes to circulate.

Full tank of fuel, Sta-Bil in the tank and run it through for about 5 minutes.

Overinflate tires

Crack windows (to allow air to flow and doesn't trap moisture.

Remove battery, store inside.

Cover with soft cover.

Did this last year, came out in March, hooked battery up with a jump-pack, she cranked up first shot, let it get up to operating temps and good to go!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread