Winter Storage

ModsAway

Established Member
Well the inevitable is almost here, WINTER. :cryying:

I need to know what to do to store my baby (cobra) during this upcoming winter. It will be in an unheated TWO door garage. There will be another car coming in and out all winter if that makes any difference.

So far a lot of the myths have been removed (i think) and all I have been told is required is as follows:

Oil change just before storing.
Disconnect Battery Cables
Fuel Stabilizer and Full tank of gas.

Is there anything else I should be considering?

THanks for your help, I'm not looking forward to this but I at least want to make sure its done right.

JTSMUSTANG

Established Member
I'd like to hear some ideas, too. Although I hope I'll get to take her out on some of the milder/dry winter days. :burnout:. :D

CobraCrazy

Established Member
Modsaway,

I would NOT disconnect the battery. . . instead consider a "trickle charger" like the Battery Tender as it keeps the battery charged and maintains the ca full charge all winter long. I was thinking it resets the computer when you disconnect the battery PLUS you still will have to keep the battery on a charger to "maximize the life" of your battery.

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
My baby is going away to a heated and dehumidified garage for the winter. As far as prep goes, ive changed the oil(which should be done again as soon as its out of storage), and ive got a trickle charger and fuel stabalizer ready. Im also planning on putting a nice soft car cover over her.

hoofbeat

Established Member
Originally posted by ModsAway
Well the inevitable is almost here, WINTER. :cryying:

I need to know what to do to store my baby (cobra) during this upcoming winter. It will be in an unheated TWO door garage. There will be another car coming in and out all winter if that makes any difference.

So far a lot of the myths have been removed (i think) and all I have been told is required is as follows:

Oil change just before storing.
Disconnect Battery Cables
Fuel Stabilizer and Full tank of gas.

Is there anything else I should be considering?

THanks for your help, I'm not looking forward to this but I at least want to make sure its done right.
:beer: No need to disconnet the battery, get a trickle charger, make sure the car has been washed and waxed. Buy a good car cover . The oil change and sta-bil (pray for spring) and your good to go.

LCCOBRA

Established Member
"trickle charger"??? Were and how can I do this. Stupied ? I know just kinda lost. More info!!!LOL I have to put her away in a week or two.:whine: I already have the cover just need to pick up some stabil, chg oil, wash, and zanio.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
What you really want is a "Battery Tender" rather than a trickle charger. It keeps battery at constant, correct voltage rather than just continuosly charging. Eastwood sells them:

http://www.eastwoodcompany.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=25007&Dep_Key1=

Had my battery last 11 years in C4 Corvette, hardly driven in winter, using one of these. Much better than disconnecting battery.

I have real questions about Stabil-dry, as I have always had no problem with fresh full tank of Sunoco 94 through the winters. I really don't think modern fuels gum up much if the tank is full and little oxygen is present.

ModsAway

Established Member
I've heard you should not put a car cover over the car as it traps moisture that constantly evaporates and freezes on your car.....

Any truth to that?

hoofbeat

Established Member
Originally posted by ModsAway
I've heard you should not put a car cover over the car as it traps moisture that constantly evaporates and freezes on your car.....

Any truth to that?
:beer: Not as long as the the car is in a garge.

03MUSTANGSVT

Established Member
Does the car need to be put on stands or is it ok just sitting there? I've always been told it's better to get the car up off of the ground. Is there any truth to this?

LCCOBRA

Established Member
I heard that also that our tires will form flat spots. I'll have to give that battery thing a try. Can you buy the "Battery Tender" at an auto store in town or is that a special item. As for the stable i'm going to use some becuase everyone I talked to says if you don't you'll regret it later.

Last edited:

hoofbeat

Established Member
Originally posted by 03MUSTANGSVT
Does the car need to be put on stands or is it ok just sitting there? I've always been told it's better to get the car up off of the ground. Is there any truth to this?
:beer: Jacks stands not required. I,ve stored cars in the winter since 1985 and never used jack stands ,back when baised ply tires were used it may have been a good idea.

ModsAway

Established Member
Oil change before winter? I was told this should be done so the oil is nice and clean. If your oil is dirty the likely hood of deposits in your engine is higher when all the oil settles and engine is dry....

Sounds good to me. I was also told you do not have to change oil again in the spring because of course it is already clean. Beats me, this is my first year storing a car, I drove my other mustangs in the winter.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Really think jack stands are not necessary. Flat spots in F1's seem to go away with a little driving.

Make sure the "bettery tender" you buy is computer controlled to only charge when the voltage of the battery is down. Again, this is different than a trickle charger. Might be available somewhere locally, but I've only seen them online.

DimMaK

Banned
Usually, I pull the engine out of the car in the winter and monitor the temperature of the extra garage I had built for the cars. Never can be too safe. Kind of like an extra friend. When we get snowed in here, I will go in the garage and hang out with my engines. Talk to them. They say keeping plants happy is to talk to them. I try to do this to the engines. Call it overkill. It works!

Mysticobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra10thaniv
Put it in a car bag with the moisture absorbing material bags then send with the car jacket. I bought one and it seem really nice to stop moisture problems. Take a look and see what you think

http://www.autoanything.com/carcover/carjacket.asp

Don't forget that dessicant can get saturated with moisture and become enable to absorbe moisture anymore. You'll need to heat treat it before a second use. Usually, Dessicant can be recycled through a heat treatment (summer sun for example) and then store in a dry place until use. If you don't do it, you might end up introducing more moisture than removing it from your car.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Originally posted by Mysticobra
Don't forget that dessicant can get saturated with moisture and become enable to absorbe moisture anymore. You'll need to heat treat it before a second use. Usually, Dessicant can be recycled through a heat treatment (summer sun for example) and then store in a dry place until use. If you don't do it, you might end up introducing more moisture than removing it from your car.

Yes there is a procedure for reuse of the material and strict guide that you have to follow for the 5 1lb bags to work correctly after the heat treatmeant. Read and follow the directions as with anything.

Users who are viewing this thread