Winter Storage

totheduals

Established Member
Putting the car away for winter storage in a month or so...... :(
Thinking of a heated storage locker.
Is there anything I need to do to the car for heated storage???
I will start the car at least once a month, and put it away with a full tank of fuel.
Was also told to change the oil before I put it away.
Is there anything I am missing?
What if I put it in storage that isn't heated? Lots more to do then or what :shrug:
It gets minus 40 here in winter so anyone else who has cold like this........little help please :beer:

zeus201

Established Member
Tons of info on this if you search but...The garage was not heated and lowest temp if got there was around -15 or so.

1 - My parents had some left over crappy as carpet which the tires were on. I also somewhat over inflated the tires.

2 - Put a fresh tank of gas and added fuel perservative (can't think of the products name right now).

3 - Oil change and made sure my coolant level was good. Also check to see the "freezing" point of your coolant. There are some kits around that can roughly tell you, but I had the stearship check for me.

4 - Washed and waxed and added Arm & Hammer boxes inside the car and a few air freshners.

5 - I pulled the battery and put it inside, however you could get a battery tender. Put a car cover on it and call it a day and procede to bi%th about you will not be able to drive the car for the next 6 monthes.

I didn't have to worry about furry critters making homes in my car, but if that might be a problem then I suggest getting something to keep them away. Just a few things I did and it started right up come spring!

Last edited:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Sta-bil for the gas tank. Mine sat for a year with that and it was fine. YOu'll want something for bugs too. I found several wasp nests on mine while I was pulling the tranny and motor

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Yeah, do a quick search and see what comes up. About this time every year this topic comes up and we have had some good "to-do" lists in the past.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
pfft...drive that bitch...lol

Seriously though I drove all last winter on Drag radials and 4.56's and I think I aged myself about 2 years in 3 months...

yeller1

Established Member
If you can't store in a heated area, I would consider an engine block heater.
Damn, It gets cold their in sascatoonie. Have you considered moving away from the north pole?:banana:

mystical

Established Member
Do not start it while it's hibernating, it will do more harm than good. Disconnect the battery and bring it somewhere warm. Fill the tank, add Sta-bil and forget about it.

Users who are viewing this thread