Winter storage, tried starting tday, no good!

99Cobra#2468

Student of the Cobra
Established Member
Cobra has been in storage since the end of October, have been starting it once a month. Went to start it today, and she did not start, just got repeated clicking noise. Does battery need jumped? Or, is battery dead? Thanks.

JBs01

Established Member
I also store my car away for about four months per year. If you have a 6/12 volt charger, I would attempt to revive the battery with that first. It definately sounds like a battery related issue.
Or you can go ahead and use another vehicle battery to charge it with. It could be time for a new battery or you may have left a dome light on, etc.
Good luck.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
If you have a power source where you're storing it then get a Battery Tender. Its a must for storing vehicles. I can't beleive I went as long as I did without one, my truck doesnt get driven much and I've had a dead battery on it several times when I went out to start it. With a battery tender, I have a fully charged battery all the time now.

Here's a link I just found $30 w/ free shipping.
http://www.motorcyclebatteriesusa.com/battery-chargers-details.asp?battery=91

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Has it been cold where you are at? I'm guessing that's probably a big reason you've got a dead battery.

I've been driving my Cobra the past 2 weeks because it's been incredibly nice here in Colorado. Went to drive the truck today and low and behold, dead battery.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
99Cobra#2468 said:
99COBRA2881: Will that battery tender recharge my battery if it is dead?

Well I believe the battery tender is just a simple trickle charger, they'll charge a battery but they take forever. However sometimes you wont be able to charge up a battery that has drained completely with those small chargers and you'll need a real charger. While you're at it pop the caps and add some Distilled water. (unless its a sealed gel battery)

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
99Cobra#2468 said:
99COBRA2881: Will that battery tender recharge my battery if it is dead?

No. Put a voltmeter on it and see if its below 7.5 volts. The tender only delivers .995 amps to the battery.

If it is then 90% of home chargers won't recognize the battery.

Find a place that will recharge the battery for you. Don't let them do a quickcharge as that will burn up the calcium and kill your reserve and eventually the battery.

Oh and that link for the tender he sent you is for the motorcycle one. You need the car one.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
E. Green Cobra said:
Well I believe the battery tender is just a simple trickle charger, they'll charge a battery but they take forever. However sometimes you wont be able to charge up a battery that has drained completely with those small chargers and you'll need a real charger. While you're at it pop the caps and add some Distilled water. (unless its a sealed gel battery)

just enough to cover the plates. You can choke a battery which will kill it.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
Oh and that link for the tender he sent you is for the motorcycle one. You need the car one.

No its not, it'll work great on cars also. Dont believe me......

Quoted from their website
"""Bottom line is the Battery Tender Jr. is a simple to use, automatic, reliable and fool-proof battery charger, we recomend it. It also works great as a long term battery maintainer for your hot rods and classic car batteries."""

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
99COBRA2881 said:
No its not, it'll work great on cars also. Dont believe me......

Quoted from their website
"""Bottom line is the Battery Tender Jr. is a simple to use, automatic, reliable and fool-proof battery charger, we recomend it. It also works great as a long term battery maintainer for your hot rods and classic car batteries."""

The only problem with that is the voltage it provides. A normal car battery losess 1% capacity a month below 80 degrees. On top of that add in that the computer/radio electrical draw averages .800 amps a day the JR will not provide enough voltage to maintain the battery. It will still discharge. The standard battery tender provides .995 amps a day which will cover the discharging and the draw.

It is also not recommended for AGM batteries as it will burn itself out. I have warrantied 6 in the past 3 months for this problem.

I just had the regional rep doing his little song and dance yesterday.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
grandestang said:
Dead battery. Just get another vehicle and jump start it. I really don't see what the big deal is :shrug:

Paul

thank you.
go jump it. let it run for 20-30 mins and shut it off.
if it doesnt start next week. then start checking how much of a load your battery will take or check volts and amps your alt is putting out.
simple stuff.
J

Users who are viewing this thread