Winter Storage for 2010 GT500!

griz_83ho

Established Member
Hey guys, just a few questions. I am getting ready to put the car up for the year and was wondering what I need to do to the car to make sure it is stored properly over winter. The car is in a heated garage, but I guess I wondering if I should but the car on jacks, fuel, trickle charger, etc. Any help would be much appriciated, Thanks, Kris

skyhighsd

Established Member
Throw some stable in the tank(full), trickle charger on it and a few extra lbs of air in the tires and call it a day. If you dont throw a charger on it the battery will be dead by spring.

JoeG

Established Member
If you dont throw a charger on it the battery will be dead by spring.

For sure.

And not just a regular "trickle" charger, IMO. Get a battery tender (multiple brands available) that will not just slowly charge it, but will keep it properly cycled and only charge when it's needed. The good ones also desulphate. I like the Battery Minder.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Hey guys, just a few questions. I am getting ready to put the car up for the year and was wondering what I need to do to the car to make sure it is stored properly over winter. The car is in a heated garage, but I guess I wondering if I should but the car on jacks, fuel, trickle charger, etc. Any help would be much appriciated, Thanks, Kris

I'd also put her up on stands/tires off. Get the weight off the suspension. I also run mine through the gears once every few weeks. Typically for 15 minutes.

Then spring I change the oil and use up all the old fuel before going hard on boost.

Been doing this with all my cars for years, no issues

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
aahhhh....so nice to live in Florida.

Floridasnow.jpg

Wait....OK, most of the time it's great to live in Florida.

:D

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Lol, that's a funny pic. My uncle lives in Port Saint Lucy and I don't even think he owns a jacket... Funny to see snow there. I HATE snow and remember when my cousins moved back here they couldn't wait to see it. Now they hate it as much as I do...:lol:

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
Throw some stable in the tank(full), trickle charger on it and a few extra lbs of air in the tires and call it a day. If you dont throw a charger on it the battery will be dead by spring.

Nearly the same for me. I park on some DryCore panels (wood would work too) to get it off of the cement and over-inflate the tires (don't forget to check the pressure in the spring!) However, I take the battery out entirely and put it on a slow charge overnight (say 1 amp), then I store it in the house over the winter. My batteries have all lasted over 10 years doing this in cars and motorcycles. In fact, I just replaced my 1997 CBR1100xx battery this year for the first time :rockon:

Something else I do is get a refrigerator "box" of Arm & Hammer. They make them now for refrigerators so you don't have to have an "open box" in there. Makes a big difference with the "garage/musty" smell in the car when you get it out in the spring.

Lastly, since I have a 'vert, I keep the windows slightly open so the seals don't get damaged without a battery (the windows normally open/close when you open/close the doors to help the seal on the top).

skyhighsd

Established Member
Nearly the same for me. I park on some DryCore panels (wood would work too) to get it off of the cement and over-inflate the tires (don't forget to check the pressure in the spring!) However, I take the battery out entirely and put it on a slow charge overnight (say 1 amp), then I store it in the house over the winter. My batteries have all lasted over 10 years doing this in cars and motorcycles. In fact, I just replaced my 1997 CBR1100xx battery this year for the first time :rockon:

The only reason I did not say to remove his battery(which I also do) is because he said he had heated storage.

Users who are viewing this thread